Not very happy.

Hello Skyrim fourm. Recently I learned some stuff about Skyrim. Usually i'm so happy I could burst but this time I was sad. From multiple websites and this fourm I learned there is not much Morrowind stuff. Don't get me wrong Oblivion and Fallout 3 are great games I just want more Morrowind stuff. I know Enchant is a skill but I want more, like all the cool weapons Morrowind had and some spells wouldn't hurt. I still think Skyrim will get GOTY but i'm not as excited. Does anyone else feel like this? Please correct me if i'm wrong and there is more Morrowind stuff then I expected. Thank you all for your responses and I hope you have a great day!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Oh, you're not alone.

I can resonate with you. Oblivion, in my opinion at least, was a complete failure for the series and doesn't deserve to bare the name Elder Scrolls. It's an OK action RPG, but it can't do much more than amuse me for maybe 30 minutes at best. It lacked all the exploration, detailed atmosphere, and depth Morrowind had. Morrowind is pretty much better in almost every way, and any complaints anyone might have about the game can be solved by mods. And even without mods, it still kicks Oblivion's @@@.

Now, you seem to not be aware of this, but they are bringing Dwemer Ruins back for Skyrim (the Dwemer lived in Skyrim too, after all). That includes at the very least the Centurion Spheres, so I image we'll be fighting other Dwemer machinery too. There's also a good chance we'll be able to turn into a werewolf again, though it's still up in the air. In addition to that, Solstheim get's discussed a lot on the BGSF as something people want to see in an expansion, so hopefully they will listen to that like they have with other things.

That said, it's best to accept that Skyrim is going to have to do new things. It's not just Nordic territory like Solstheim, it's their home. The atmosphere has to be it's own thing. Morrowind elements are in there, and that's a lot better than Oblivion which didn't have any, and struggled a lot of the time to keep it's own atmosphere interesting.

Thanks. I thought I saw a werewolf in the gameplay trailer. Yay! DWEMER RUINS!!!

I really wish they'd brought back spears for Skyrim, and I'm gutted that they cut Hand-toHand and Mysticisym too.  Even less happy with the watering-down of armour, now your cuirass and leggings are the same thing!

They've been cutting a pretty vast portion of the customisable hero aspects since Morrowind, a bit sad seeing as the series started with the ideal of a fully customisable hero

I love spears. I'm mad to about the armor and no hand to hand. I don't really care about Mysticisym. I liked how enchanted weapons worked in Morrowind.

I would be more upset if the things they were removing/changing were actually that significant. I don't know about you guys, but I can't stand having mismatched armor anyhow. Having the main top and bottom part of my armor as one single, complete, and good looking piece gives me one less enchantment slot but it isn't the worst thing in the world.

Hand-to-hand is not something I ever bothered with. It seems like something to do sometime for fun but I don't really see it as the worst thing in the world to have missing. There were some good spells in Mysticism but it felt lacking overall. I'm sure that most of the good spells will make a return with possibly new spells anyhow. There are enough schools of magic already.

[quote user="Mister Chompski"]

I would be more upset if the things they were removing/changing were actually that significant. I don't know about you guys, but I can't stand having mismatched armor anyhow. Having the main top and bottom part of my armor as one single, complete, and good looking piece gives me one less enchantment slot but it isn't the worst thing in the world.

Hand-to-hand is not something I ever bothered with. It seems like something to do sometime for fun but I don't really see it as the worst thing in the world to have missing. There were some good spells in Mysticism but it felt lacking overall. I'm sure that most of the good spells will make a return with possibly new spells anyhow. There are enough schools of magic already.

[/quote]

I absolutely hate these kinds of arguements.

"Oh, I never used that so it doesn't bother me so there's no reason it should bother anyone duuur"

Guess what? Not everyone plays the game the same way you do.

A lot of people used spears, and I'm sorry, it's just stupid to take away even more armor slots then they already have. By the time we get to TES VII we'll be lucky if we even have more than 2 armor slots (I mean, after all, why would you want to have mismatched gauntlets, boots, or helmets with your streamlined armor?) and saying "Oh, they'd never do that!" isn't valid because they already have. Twice. With Hand-to-Hand, that was a playstyle plenty of people liked and used (there was even a class that revolved around it). But again, why would you want to hit things with your hands? DUAL SWORDZ IZ SO MUCH KOOLER!!!!11111!!!

Do you even see what I'm getting at?

I won't argue Mysticism here, but there's quite a good reason for it to have stayed it's own spell tree. Go to UESP and read up on Mysticism sometime.

I, personally, don't mind any of the changes much so far. Most of them have been predictable. I generally didn't mismatch armor too much (though I did back in the Morrowind days), mysticism spells can fit into other schools, medium armor basically got split and put into light and heavy, and it was honestly not a surprise that spears weren't coming back.

But your playstyle or my playstyle doesn't change the fact that it's not good for them to just axe playstyles or content. "Streamlining" (which more often then not is just a nice way of saying "dumbing down") isn't any better either.

[quote]There are enough schools of magic already.[/quote]

And I suppose next you'll tell me that you think it's a good idea to be able to do everything in the game with one character?

LMAO!!! Anyway back to the point, is there anymore things from Morrowind. If you can turn into a werewolf again that will be so beast. Agree?

Chompski, say that to someone who used a Hand-to-Hand Redguard who utilized medium armour, and I wonder whether he'd think the omissions "aren't significant".

I think Teldarin's right on the money.  These cuts aren't game-breaking, horrible things that are going to make me throw away the game in disgust, they're just things that I look at and think "damn, I wish they were in the game".

I don't think they've even offered up excuses for most cuts, except Mysticism's "oh, it was redundant".  TBH, I'd gladly trade finishing moves, dynamic dragons and marriage for the full Morrowind set of skills.

I came into this forum thinking I would be the only one who wasn't a big fan of Oblivion after loving Morrowind.  I appear to be wrong in that line of thought.   I don't really know what it was that changed that caused my disappointment since watering down of RPG elements doesn't get under my skin that often.  

I really don't feel that bad about what they're taking out because I think everything that they are adding is great.  IMO, Hand to Hand wasn't important and it's not like you can't punch people anymore, and they're just putting mysticism spells into different categories.  Also, i'm positive that the atmosphere and exploration will be amazing due to the hand crated dungeons and insane graphics.