Nostalgia

What do miss most about previous game generations (any gen pre-x360)?

-

I miss old game (SNES, Genesis) box art. Yeah, it was often misleading and sometimes made the game in the package seem disappointing by comparison, but at least it was occasionally creative, much more so than modern, (admittedly slicker) box art that often looks like it was designed by automatons.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Complete games at launch...

I miss being uninformed and naive

I miss having very little understanding about games and miss buying games based on the cool pictures on the box.

I miss my parents watching me play games like Donkey Kong Country and commenting on how great the graphics are.

-

They have yet to see an Xbox 360 so I might set up the Xbox One at Christmas time and show it off to the family.

[quote user="DigitalAssassin"]

I miss my parents watching me play games

[/quote]

I miss this as well but my mom use to play with me. She was a huge Super Mario and Pac Man fan. She would love Pinball FX, as she was a huge pinball player back in the ol arcade days

I miss getting a new game and being able to entertain myself for hours with the instruction manual alone.

Instruction Manuals use to be what like 40-50 pages long? Even with a few pages to write down notes, my how times have changed.

[quote user="DigiLuigi"]

I miss getting a new game and being able to entertain myself for hours with the instruction manual alone.

[/quote]

Yeah, I can agree with that.  Maybe not "hours" for me, but old RPG books with bios of characters, lists of items and spells would often fire up my imagination more than the game itself did. 

The simplicity of certain games made them great.  Games like Mario kart on the n64 and Mario on NES....No matter what graphics you add to the series, they will never be better than they were originally.  The other thing I miss is the giant leaps forward games could make on older consoles.  I grew up on madden.  I played madden 98 on sega for a couple years...Then came the ps1.  Mind blown!!  Then came ps2.  Mind blown again!!   Each year they would add some little feature that would be ground breaking.  I.e. The juke move, the hit stick, the truck stick.  Certain games have nearly reached their limits.  There isn't much you can add to madden at this point.  Sure, graphics can always get better...but it will be a glorified roster update.  Certain games are getting worse with the added graphics and effects.  There is so much clutter, dust floating in the air, realistic dark shadows in the latest COD games...It's too much.  If I wanted a "realistic" shooter I'd go to battlefield.  I don't understand why I can still play COD 4 today and have as much fun as I do with the latest COD.  Maybe it's nostalgia.  

Miss not having to download updates before playing a new game.