Noob concepts help

Hey all,

So I made the dive and started this game with the full expectation of having a tough time, so that much is clear.  But there are a few concepts that I'm having trouble understanding and I think it might relate to hints I have gotten regarding PVP/co-op, but I'm not quite sure.

In playing the game occasionally I see a ghost or apparition, typically emerging from the bonfire.  This isn't exclusive, but its more common.  Other times, it emerges from a blood stain.    Are the ghosts some type of online/pvp cue or help?

Second, I'm confused over the use of the blood stain, sometimes if I'm not hovering over the stain properly, the prompt is there, but greyed out or disabled.  One thing I'm not clear about is if this stain is different from my last kill "glowy" recover spot.

And these hints suggest that even though I am playing a single player campaign, at least I think I am, the online community can affect or influence my game.  Is this the case?  I realize there is an invasion option, which I am not clear on either, nor am I prepared for it.  When it comes to co-op/multiplayer in other games, I am used to having to party up and join the game.  With Dark Souls, sometimes I am getting the feeling that there may be more of a free-for-all interaction that I am unaware of.

Any clarification would be helpful for the simple fact of understanding what  I am seeing.  Thanks in advance.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="SquareRigged"]

In playing the game occasionally I see a ghost or apparition, typically emerging from the bonfire.  This isn't exclusive, but its more common.  Other times, it emerges from a blood stain.    Are the ghosts some type of online/pvp cue or help?

[/quote]

The ghosts you see during the game are random connections with other players who are also playing, but in their world.  It's just a cool idea the developers put into the game to give you a glimpse of what other people are up to.  Same goes for the bloodstains.  Activating a bloodstain gives you a chance to glimpse how someone else died.

[quote]Second, I'm confused over the use of the blood stain, sometimes if I'm not hovering over the stain properly, the prompt is there, but greyed out or disabled.  One thing I'm not clear about is if this stain is different from my last kill "glowy" recover spot.

[/quote]

While you are viewing one bloodstain, the game does not allow you to restart the same one or view another.  Once the playback for one bloodstain ends, it allows you to select the same one or view another.  That's what is happening when the stain is greyed out.  The same applies for when you summon people.  There's a certain amount of time before you can attempt to summon someone else (it's not long, just a couple seconds, but the ability is greyed out during that time).

[quote]And these hints suggest that even though I am playing a single player campaign, at least I think I am, the online community can affect or influence my game.  Is this the case?  I realize there is an invasion option, which I am not clear on either, nor am I prepared for it.  When it comes to co-op/multiplayer in other games, I am used to having to party up and join the game.  With Dark Souls, sometimes I am getting the feeling that there may be more of a free-for-all interaction that I am unaware of.

[/quote]

Even though you are playing single player, you are connected online to the community at large.  That is why you can't pause your game.  This is also why you can be invaded at any time when you playing in human form and have not yet killed the boss in the area you are in.  Anyone who is looking to invade another's game can randomly drop into your game and try to kill you.  And, no, you won't be prepared for it at first - no one is.  But, opening yourself up for invasions also allows you to open yourself up to invite people into your game for co-op, so that's the trade-off.

HTH.

Hey thanks, an interesting and cool little facet, different than other games.

The ghost are awesome. You see a lot of weird and cool looking characters.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Speaking of being connected to the online community, you've probably noticed the messages.  These are generally helpful hints.  However, some people like to be d-bags, and leave a message that says "try jumping" or "shortcut ahead" at the edge of a cliff.  Be wary of these.  In a few instances, they may be true, but people love to grief others in this game, so just be aware of that.

Thanks all.  Yeah, I play a lot of Halo so Im familiar with modders, griefers etc, but this game definitely works differently.  Again thanks for the heads up.

The awesomeness of the game's multiplayer isn't readily apparent from the beginning. The initial stages of the game don't allow for co-op. You won't have the option until well after the beginning, after you've beaten the Taurus Demon and met Solaire, who gives you the white summoning stone. You likely won't encounter anyone else's summon signs until you reach the Bell Gargoyle fight in the Undead Parish. It's definitely worthwhile to wait outside the boss gate watching for signs here, or putting down your own so you can get some free practice fighting the gargoyles as a phantom in someone else's game.

I can understand why the developers didn't want co-op to be available from the get-go. But it is still a bit of a shame that you don't get into it until that far into the game. The online interaction in this game really is brilliant, and it's a shame that some players may not give the game enough of a chance before they get to it.

i'm with no friends in xbox live to play this great game please add me or accept the invite...best regards from Portugal

You may not have your white sign soapstone before the Taurus Demon, but you can certainly summon other people.

From what I have learned, but not encountered yet, I agree the co-op looks well done here.  But, as with the very reason why I started the thread, I was just wondering if there was a way of avoiding it until I learned the game well enough to protect myself from invaders.  It simply wasn't an added frustration I wanted to deal with early on.

You can avoid being invaded via 2 different methods.

1) Play offline.  If you go into party chat or set the options to play offline, or even disconnect from Xbox Live, you'll be in offline mode.  No one can invade you when in offline mode except for game generated NPCs.  You can also summon game generated NPCs while in offline mode.

2) Don't turn human.  If you play as a hollow, you can not be invaded, not even by game NPCs.  You also can not summon anyone, including game NPCs.

Also, remember that you cannot be invaded if you have killed the boss in the area you are in.  Once you've killed the Taurus Demon, for instance, you can no longer be invaded in the Upper Undead Burg.