No Online Passes, No Day One DLC, Just the Game I Bought!

I'm surprised no one else has brought this up and I really think Bethesda needs to be commended for it.

-

Minor glitches and graphical errors aside, Skyrim shipped as a complete game and consumers weren't forced to access content we already paid for through Online Passes and Day One DLC incentives. The game world is huge and has an infinite number of quests on top of one of the most interesting dual plot-line stories I've ever seen in a video game - I would be forever happy with my purchase even if no future content was ever released.

-

I wish more game developers/publishers took the same route as Bethesda and gave us games that didn't need to be filled out with DLC and didn't force us to buy their product immediately or miss out on some additional content.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Amen to that! I totally agree!

But dlc was announced for it awhile back

Well, we all know there will eventually be DLC but it's refreshing not to see it out at the very start. I also like that they said they were going to do quality over quantity, that the DLC will be much farther in between but be much larger/greater quality.  

True, but dlc is made and planned for early in the game making process so it isnt like they arent trying to get money from us later.

It doesn't  have DLC on day one because the game isn't made by Turn 10 and no online pass because it is a single player game.  I just hope I can finish everything before the first DLC is released!

Regardless of DLC schedules, this game is an incredible value for the money.

[quote user="Lord Dirt"]

But dlc was announced for it awhile back

[/quote]

I completely understand that DLC needs to be planned well in advance of a game's release and I'm also okay with additional content being released at a later date to add life to a game.

-

It's game releases like Batman: Arkham City (which I love) that bug me. In the lead up to that game being released, we were shown all the different batsuits we could use in the game, Robin could be played in the Challenge Maps and Catwoman was a playable character throughout the campaign... and it all turned out to be DLC that you only received by buying the game at specific retailers, etc.

-

The only content that was available where I live was the Catwoman missions and that's only because they come with all new copies of the games. Everything else I have to wait until it becomes DLC and then I have to pay extra for it and that's a load of BS!

-

Also, to the comment about Skyrim being a Single player game so it has no Online Pass - Mass Effect 2 and both Dragon Age games had online passes that were required to access certain content in the games.

[quote user="NeecHMonkeY"]

Also, to the comment about Skyrim being a Single player game so it has no Online Pass - Mass Effect 2 and both Dragon Age games had online passes that were required to access certain content in the games.

[/quote]

No.  Those games had codes to special in-game content.  An Online Pass is a one time use code to access the full multiplayer experience ONLINE.

You had to be ONLINE to access the Cerberus Network and the content that came with it and you also had to be ONLINE and connected to the EA servers to access the content in Dragon Age. ONLINE does not solely represent Multiplayer.

Okay, while those one time use codes to download special gear or missions that have no negative effect on your single player experience if you don't use them are considered to be online passes, it is a term used mostly to describe how companies such as EA handle online multiplayer features to keep people from buying games used.