No more DLC for me!

What are peoples thoughts on downloadable content? I have decided not to buy any from now on. I am sure that the game publishers would argue that DLC is prolonging the life of a game. However, I don't have a lot of money for games so doing this will allow me to buy more games. Look at COD, buying all the DLC packs would almost equal the price of a new game!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

If they are worth it I will get it.

DLC = one of the best things to ever happen to gaming.

Looking at your game list, you don't appear to be the type of gamer who would benefit from DLC.  COD map packs apply to those who love the game, same for Halo, or L4D, etc.  Good thing about DLC is that its optional. 

I don't buy every DLC that comes out unless I really like the game and feel I will get my moneys worth.  I didn't buy the newest Halo map pack because I don't play it much anymore, but I did buy the newest COD because I love me some Nazi Zombies.

You could argue for days about the pricing:  MS forces developers to overcharge, publishers force content to be cut and converted to DLC, developers can't make game for free, etc.  Bottom line is they're marketing it towards people who want it.  If you don't want it, don't buy it.

great post dogmeat.... we need posts like that.

@x DogMeat x Microsoft doesn't make developers overcharge. It's the developers themselves that choose the price. Look at the CoD map packs Ms didn't make Activision charge 1200MSP for them, Activision chose the price because they knew people would still buy it.

I have not/will not ever buy a map pack for CoD because the map packs are not worth $15 imo. The only time I would buy DLC is if the game/DLC is good.

[quote user="Mr Jer Bear"]

@x DogMeat x Microsoft doesn't make developers overcharge. It's the developers themselves that choose the price. Look at the CoD map packs Ms didn't make Activision charge 1200MSP for them, Activision chose the price because they knew people would still buy it.

I have not/will not ever buy a map pack for CoD because the map packs are not worth $15 imo. The only time I would buy DLC is if the game/DLC is good.

[/quote]

There have been a few reported cases where Developers had to charge for DLC because Microsoft refused to let them release it for free. Valve is one example. Which is why they refused to fix their broken POS that was The Orange Box and Team Fortress 2 and then charged for DLC for Left 4 Dead/Left 4 Dead 2 on the Xbox when it was free on the PC.

And then Bizarre wanted the first Geometry Wars to be free but Microsoft forced them to charge 400 points.

But the Publishers do force developers to charge as well.

Well I knew Microsoft made developers charge something for their DLC, but I always thought it was the developers choice on the final price of it.

When its well done & add to the lifespan of the game its fine but when I think its just a ploy to squeeze more money out of us by adding stuff that should have been on the disk in the first place then I just dont buy it.

[quote user="DanteSparda504"]

[quote user="Mr Jer Bear"]

[/quote]

There have been a few reported cases where Developers had to charge for DLC because Microsoft refused to let them release it for free. Valve is one example. Which is why they refused to fix their broken POS that was The Orange Box and Team Fortress 2 and then charged for DLC for Left 4 Dead/Left 4 Dead 2 on the Xbox when it was free on the PC.

And then Bizarre wanted the first Geometry Wars to be free but Microsoft forced them to charge 400 points.

But the Publishers do force developers to charge as well.

[/quote]The Portal 2 DLC (another Valve product) coming next month is purported  to be free.  We shall see if it is.

I buy it only if I really love the game. In those cases I generally get everything except the avatar outfits.