Nice idea, pity about the execution.

Having just rebought Alpha Protocol to unlock my final achievements, it only reminded me how great and idea it was but how poorly executed the game was. So it dawned on my as the consumer we always like to think we know what would be best, so what games out there have you played which were great ideas but in the end sucked, also what would you have done differently. Please pick games that have only had one game and not  saying something like "ME2, better make it like ME1".

Alpha Protocol -

- Being a top soldier you should automatically be efficent with firearms, remove firearms stats and much like ME have different class where certain skills/weapons are only avaliable to them. This could be further introduced through an origin choice i.e did you join through the ranks weapon efficent, were you straight out of uni or inteliigence adept with hacking languages.

- Conversation system should have been more like ME2 where you have a better knowledge of what you character is going to say instead of smug, angry etc. Also the devs said it broke immersion a conversation stopping dead so you have pick what you want to say, though this may be true they can't play the realism card with russian, big breasted women walking around with M60's. Also have to ability to stop a conversation straight by killing the enemy.

- Remove the romances, guess what people don't constantly "fall in love". They felt forced an awkward in AP from the domminering enemy blonde, to nerdy woman who falls in love over comm chat. They did nothing for the narrative and felt like they were added solely to mimick ME.

- Set it during the cold war, remove cliched movie characters. Make it gritty from breaking into another spies house and killing them in their sleep and dispoing of the body it doesn't have to be a Roger Moore Bond movie. Or even set it now and put on a Bourne, Bauer edge, there doesn't have to be on clear enemy just a fraction or threat. If you are on the run don't have fancy appartments set up everywhere, also make choices less black and white sometimes the good guys do die.

- Character needs to be agile Fisher style you needed to able to turn the tides of the combat quickly. Instead you spent the majority of the game waiting behind cover to hit a focus shot.

- Less face/face time with the villans its unrealistic.

- Better character customisation and a choice of VA. Its a role playing game and I hate the character from the off, the great things about Shep or Hawke is you can create your own. Thorton felt forced and was likeable, give people an option.

- Set it in one large living city or several living cities, not small maps. Also allow the game to distinguish between civilian clothes and combat gear.

Basically I wanted a gritty, cold war RPG where to lines were blurred. Instead I got a poor cliched RPG which was really about nothing.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Deus ex: hr will be 100 times better. Personaly, I liked alpha protocol, but it was severly lacking in the gameplay department.

Just cause 2, with such a massive map it really lacked a good story. I also felt the free roaming was repetitive and needed a lot of imrpovement. Overall good game, jus lacked on the capture.....

I played it for about 2 hours, when I was trying to find a decent RPG I hadnt already played to death. I just couldnt get into it. Yes, nice idea but they never reached the potential the idea had..

To me was a good game; unfairly criticized by Obsidian haters. Deux and AP can't be compared . IMO.

I still need to try it out.

[quote user="Seb Smith"]

Alpha Protocol -

- Being a top soldier you should automatically be efficent with firearms, remove firearms stats and much like ME have different class where certain skills/weapons are only avaliable to them. This could be further introduced through an origin choice i.e did you join through the ranks weapon efficent, were you straight out of uni or inteliigence adept with hacking languages. This is the real problem . Some gamers never understood the RPG Elements in this part . Where you need add AP to the weapons you want to master.

- Conversation system should have been more like ME2 where you have a better knowledge of what you character is going to say instead of smug, angry etc. Also the devs said it broke immersion a conversation stopping dead so you have pick what you want to say, though this may be true they can't play the realism card with russian, big breasted women walking around with M60's. Also have to ability to stop a conversation straight by killing the enemy. this is another problem .Some Gamers want all action RPG's to be like ME or to be made by BIOWARE.

- Remove the romances, guess what people don't constantly "fall in love". They felt forced an awkward in AP from the domminering enemy blonde, to nerdy woman who falls in love over comm chat. They did nothing for the narrative and felt like they were added solely to mimick ME.I idsagree with you o n this too. They added good moments to the game . They wanted Michael to be like Jame bond in some way, like Jack Bauer and like Jason Bourne. Romance was for gmaers that wanted to play ala Bond way.

- Set it during the cold war, remove cliched movie characters. Make it gritty from breaking into another spies house and killing them in their sleep and dispoing of the body it doesn't have to be a Roger Moore Bond movie. Or even set it now and put on a Bourne, Bauer edge, there doesn't have to be on clear enemy just a fraction or threat. If you are on the run don't have fancy appartments set up everywhere, also make choices less black and white sometimes the good guys do die. Some gamers are so hard to please.

- Character needs to be agile Fisher style you needed to able to turn the tides of the combat quickly. Instead you spent the majority of the game waiting behind cover to hit a focus shot. Michael is a rookie not a experienced agent like Sam. I am very sure gamers that knew what were their strongness and weakness didn't spent too much time in cover.

- Less face/face time with the villans its unrealistic. All games are unsrealistic.

- Better character customisation and a choice of VA. Its a role playing game and I hate the character from the off, the great things about Shep or Hawke is you can create your own. Thorton felt forced and was likeable, give people an option.I agree with you on this.

- Set it in one large living city or several living cities, not small maps. Also allow the game to distinguish between civilian clothes and combat gear.Bioware make almost the same with their games but nobody says s**** about it.

Basically I wanted a gritty, cold war RPG where to lines were blurred. Instead I got a poor cliched RPG which was really about nothing.  My copy worked perfect. Sometimes hate make thing exaggerated.

[/quote]

- I don't see this as a main attribute of RPG's, I see RPG's as role playing games where you make the descions for a character, choose how you interact with the world and how your choices unfold. With different classes etc. I don't see it as being unable to do anything untill you invest in points. He should have efficent in weaponary from the go they could have added different skills/abilities to level up

- As soon as you place firearms in the game its going to be an action RPG and not a turn based one. As such the character needs to be as intutive to respond to your actions.

- The romances were linked to achievements and had nothing to be like being like Bond, Bourne or Bauer as all experience romances. To me it was forced an attempt to mimick bioware, they weren't need. As for playing like Bond the failed catergorically in capturing his essesence, as the did with Bourne and Bauer. The should have focused on making their own character.

- Some gamers are never happy is irrevelant, this topic isn't solely about Alpha Protocol, its about games you though were good ideas but were poorly made in your opinion, and also how you would improve it. Personally making a spy game, set it in the era when spying was at its highest level would have improved the game for me.

- Of course games are unrealistic, but many unrealism are there strictly for gameplay reasons. For instance Chris Redfield will get bitten playing a zombie game, but in canon he is never bitten.  There is unrealism for game mechanics, and there is unrealism breaking the suspension of belief, what I mentioned did this. The devs used realism when referring to their conversation system and other elements.

- Most bioware have cities etc, as do Bethesda games.

- This isn't a hating thread just me acknowledging a great concept but poor execution and how I think it could improved. Also was wondering if people have had other idea for different games. (Don't know how to quote on new forums.

[quote user="Seb Smith"]

- I don't see this as a main attribute of RPG's, I see RPG's as role playing games where you make the descions for a character, choose how you interact with the world and how your choices unfold. With different classes etc. I don't see it as being unable to do anything untill you invest in points. He should have efficent in weaponary from the go they could have added different skills/abilities to level up .The game was not supposed to be played like a normal TPS. This is where the gamers that criticize the game fail..

- As soon as you place firearms in the game its going to be an action RPG and not a turn based one. As such the character needs to be as intutive to respond to your actions. I don't get your point here.

- The romances were linked to achievements and had nothing to be like being like Bond, Bourne or Bauer as all experience romances. To me it was forced an attempt to mimick bioware, they weren't need. As for playing like Bond the failed catergorically in capturing his essesence, as the did with Bourne and Bauer. The should have focused on making their own character. Wrong it seems you never read developers interview after release the game ...lets see if i can find a old link.

Several times, the developers at Obsidian have pointed out that you can play through their upcoming, spy action-RPG Alpha Protocol as one of the three "big Bs" of modern espionage fiction: Bourne, Bond, or Bauer.http://www.1up.com/previews/play-alpha-protocol-bourne-bond

- Some gamers are never happy is irrevelant, this topic isn't solely about Alpha Protocol, its about games you though were good ideas but were poorly made in your opinion, and also how you would improve it. Personally making a spy game, set it in the era when spying was at its highest level would have improved the game for me. If the game were made by Bioware this thread would be different.

- Of course games are unrealistic, but many unrealism are there strictly for gameplay reasons. For instance Chris Redfield will get bitten playing a zombie game, but in canon he is never bitten.  There is unrealism for game mechanics, and there is unrealism breaking the suspension of belief, what I mentioned did this. The devs used realism when referring to their conversation system and other elements. The C&C worked well in the game ; although some report conclusion after beat the missions not

- Most bioware have cities etc, as do Bethesda games.I didn't mention Bethesda.

- This isn't a hating thread just me acknowledging a great concept but poor execution and how I think it could improved. Also was wondering if people have had other idea for different games. (Don't know how to quote on new forums.thats ok but bashing a game for pure joke becasuse was made by a dev i don't like not. IMO.

[/quote]like i said before :

'If you love stealth/action/C&C games i highly recommend it. Obsidian did a great job. The game isn't mediocre like said the unfair reviews and haters impressions. If you take time to learn how the gunplay/weapons/skills/armor works in the game your understand that AP was well developed. This game is very different ; so don't expect it to be a simply TPS ; because it isn't. . The char isn't an expert like Sam Fisher when hacking/lockpicking/shooting; that's why you have a skill tree to develop/upgrade and made Mike Thornton an expert spy. AP is a game where you need think before act/shoot and that is why some gamers exaggerate about "flaws" in the gameplay . The game have some glitches but that are not a real deal to not enjoy the game. ME and RDR had worst glitches but the reviewers and gamers swallowed it. In fact , if you want to enjoy a game that isn't a clone and that is really different to others RPG/action games give a chance to AP and you will not regret it."

Just reiterate this isn't bashing Alpha Protocol, yes it was a unique idea this is just how it would have improved.

- You were meant to have the choice on how you wish to play the game. There for the option for stealth, aggresion should be there. Just like in other RPG's you don't have to play in a single mold.  As I said as soon as the combat happens in real time, and you place a firearm in the gamers hands expect your game to become and action-rpg. Devs should realise how a game is oing to play out and not force gamers to play the way they want them to, notice how the Gears series adapted to suit the gamers style of playing.

- Of course I didn't read the devs comments post release, I bought game the date it launched for £40, completed was unsatisfied and moved on.  In the build up the kept comparing it to Bourne, Bond and Bauer and its realism, and why the decided to incorporate certain mechanics. I didn't like the story and am stating how I tihnk it could have been improved.

- As I said I didn't like the conversation system, mainly because you had no real knowledge of how your character would reply only the tone and most of the time it didn't fit. I don't see why you keep mentioning Bioware it's irrelevant t the topic, personally I've only really like Mass Effect and Dragon Age of theirs. Though I enjoyed Dragon Age 2 I felt it was rushed, used repetetive enviroments, removed alot of freedom the gamer had in origin and didn't even give use the 10 years we were promised. I enjoyed it but Bioware forced a rushed product and it suffered because of it, I place most blame at EA's door.

- Like I said I've  played and beat it ages ago, I am listing improvements I would have made. I enjoy stealth games like Splinter Cell, Metal Gear and Thief but the stealth mechanics in this game were flawed. Again this opinion just because you think its a good game doesn't make you a coniseur of RPG/Stealth games and me less so. Its all subjective.

Where was everyone that complains about AP when ME one came out? That game had far more problems with combat...