Newest console update from Xbox LIVE causing disc read errors?

Ive recently tried to go back and play Saints Row 3 and Gears of War 3 and im getting open tray and unrecognizable disc errors. I initially thought it was a problem with my hard drive considering it would work without any memory device in the console, but when i switched to a new hard drive I was still getting disc read errors. Ive tried clearing my systems cache and erasing any Saints and Gears related content from my console. Ive uninstalled the latest LIVE update and the game runs perfectly fine, but when I re-install the update, I get disc read errors again. These discs are almost brand new and have no marks or scratches. Most games work fine, but others are all coming up with disc read errors.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

Are you referring to the the newest update in the current beta program? If so you will need to go to these forums and make a post there: forums.xbox.com/.../default.aspx.

If not, have you looked at this thread?: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7/t/153183.aspx and try all the suggestions there. If none of those things work, please answer these questions (courtesy of the thread I linked):

What is the exact issue you are having?
If you are having disc read issues:

What kind of discs (game, DVD, CD)?
Does this happen with all discs or just certain ones?
Have you tried replacing the disc?

If you are having disc drive issues:

What model console are you having issues with (Original or S)?
Is the tray stuck open or shut?
Does this happen consistently or randomly?

Thank you and best of luck!

EDIT: This thread may also have some things you should try (but also some overlap): http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/8/t/624.aspx

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Are you installing the games to your hard drive and getting this error?

If you are playing off the discs and consistently getting an Unreadable disk error, it sounds like your DVD drive is the problem. Contact support if your console is still under warranty.

Sorry this didn't help.

dude I've been having the same problem with my x box call x box technical support and of course they don't wanna do sh!t it's all just a thing im guessing you have an old school x box they just want you to buy a new xbox thats allmicrosoft wants. Its a way for them to unofficially crash ur xbox so you're forced to. Ive tried almoxt everything technical but but my next step was changing out the hard drive and you mean to tell me that that didn't work either??

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey DeadAim,

If your console is still currently giving you that issue could you create a new thread so that we can provide support specific for your situation?

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok go to your hard drive settings and press left bumber right bumber x two times an a menu should pop aging would you like to delete the last system update click ok and turn you Xbox off an redownlaod the system update tht should work

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had this problem and think I've found the source of it. I just bought a new because the old one couldn't read discs. Is your HDD a legitimate Microsft HDD intended for use with Xbox 360 or Xbox 360 s? If not i think the updates are somehow rejecting the use of non certified HDD's. if you didn't buy your HDD from a reputable retailer (i.e. Walmart, Gamestop) I don't think games will play after they get updated. I think they did this to combat fake HDD's since regular CPU hard drives are now compatible with Xbox 360 S. I'm about to purchase a HDD from Walmart and see if the problems continues and let you know what happened.

Sorry this didn't help.