New Tomb Raider, Multiplayer Confirmed

Still no word on what it consists of yet, but i'm hoping it's a Co-op feature. 

More Mass Effect 3 style Multiplayer & less Spec Ops: The Line style Multiplayer please.

I was planning on playing the new game, but not right away, now that it will have some online features, it will be a Day 1 Play.

If anyone gets the new OXM issue, let us know what it is.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Here's some franchises that added Co-op features that I enjoyed over the years, playing with friends.

• Resident Evil
  • Dead Rising
  • Lost Planet
  • Portal
  • FEAR
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Saints Row
  • Far Cry
  • Assassins Creed
  • Mass Effect
  • Darkness
  • Fable
  • EDF
  • Battlefield
  • Call of Duty

Then there are the games that always featured some form of Co-op & still do today or added upon it.

• Halo (4P Co-op Campaign)
  • Gears of War (4P Co-op Campaign)
  • Crackdown (4P Co-op Campaign)
  • Borderlands
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Dead Island
  • Ghost Recon
  • Rainbow Six
  • Splinter Cell
  • Army of Two

New titles that have some form of Co-op.

• Bulletstorm
  • Sniper Elite
  • Binary Domain
  • Rage
  • Hunted: Demons Forge
  • LOTR: War in the North
  • WH: Space Marine

Those are just some titles I enjoyed playing co-op through XBL.  Clearly i'm more open minded when it comes to playing games because I know plenty of people won't enjoy all those games listed.  Clearly some are better than others, no denying that.  But playing even the mediocre games online co-op with friends can make a world of difference.  I find it more entertaining sharing the gameplay experience with my friends over telling them a story of what I did solo.

Multiplayer can be great, but all too often it feels like it gets shoehorned onto games that never needed it. Co-op especially...

You can complain about anything & everything, it's quite alright.  

I won't complain about a game having Online features, whether or not the Developers or Publishers say to do it.  

I may not be happy with the outcome all the time, but even if it is some bad title, playing it with a friend can make it more enjoyable, even if all we do is laugh at how bad it is.

Also, I don't like it when a game has a feature, gets a sequel & removes one of the past features.  Nothing should ever be removed, always add on to the game.

If they want $60 on Day 1 they need to impress many gamers.  There should always be the solo experience and beyond.

[quote user="CollapseControl"]The Developers create it, doesn't matter if the Publisher demanded it or not.[/quote] but I thought you said earlier it was the developer's choice. and if it is the developer choice, then we have no right to complain but if it's not the developer choice and the publisher's, then why do we not have the right to complain?

Now I just think you are being dishonest.

[quote user="CollapseControl"]

[quote user="Ascenion"]

If I didn't have many good friends to play the ME3 MP with, I guess it could be considering boring after a certain point.

But as it stands for me, playing all the maps, leveling up characters & getting Credits while enjoying a Co-op experience with friends is enough for me to put a lot more hours into the game.  More time than I would with all the Replays of the story I would do.

[/quote]

I can respect that. Without having to deal with people that are only there for the kills achievement or readiness it would be more pleasant. However I'm the opposite. I Put way more time into Mass Effect 2 off single player only 20+ play-throughs 1000+ hours,with me just now getting to insanity. I'm currently about to hit that on 3. I platted it on PS3 and am getting ready to go for 100% on 360 which would put me at around 12 play-throughs already.

[/quote]

That's cool, that's how you choose to play the game you purchased. 

I replayed ME 1 & 2 twice through & plan to make 1 big run through with all 3.  Not exactly sure when I will attempt it, but it is on my gaming agenda.  I'd really like to get a Full Digital release of the ME Trilogy to play through so I don't have to keep track of multiple discs.

As for the Multiplayer, I put a ton of hours into it & still haven't unlocked everything there is to use in it.  Again, i'm having fun playing with actual friends, only a few times I joined Public Matches to play, but I only do that when I want to feel like a real Hero & help whatever nubs I get stuck with.  Playing it with my friends, we have a great time helping each other out & getting Full Extractions.

[/quote]

See I wish I had that maybe then I would play multiplayer more.

The Developers create it, doesn't matter if the Publisher demanded it or not.  If it fails, then it fails & hopefully they either learn from it or change it up.  Like Dead Space going from 4v4 Versus to 2P Co-op.

If any game franchise went from Online Enabled to no Online, I would still support it if I really enjoy the franchise.  One example is Splinter Cell: Double Agent, I was not pleased that there was no co-op mode like the previous title had.  But I still played the game & even had some great sessions with friends in the online feature they did give.

If you are trying to say that you get upset when a game adds Online & I should understand that by making me say I would get upset if they remove Online from a specific primarily online game, keep trying.  It's all preferences, something that is never really 100% the same between gamers.

I'm all about the games & the experiences given, be it solo or multi, I will find the best out of it, given that I like the source material.

You haven't acknowledged anything i said. All you did was go on about co-op games.

The fact you think it's the developers choice is funny: Most MP added into games these days isn't because of the developer's pedigree or choice. it's a publishing decision.  So I'm going to ask you again: How would feel if Borderlands, Gears of wars, and Halo became completely solo affairs--especially when these franchises were built from the outset and sold as mp-centric games. . The very reason why you spent and supported those franchises is gone now. And let's add another(hypothetical) curve-ball: the reason why they did this wasn't because of the developer's skill-set or choice, it was because the Publisher saw that single-player games sold more.

And about giving players more options: I'll believe it when I can play Borderlands and Left 4 Dead with three of my best friends right next to me.

I don't assume that they cut much of anything to "make room" for a multiplayer component.  With games routinely taking up 2-3 discs, how can you definitively say that any content was cut because there just wasn't enough room on the discs?

[quote user="Ascenion"]

If I didn't have many good friends to play the ME3 MP with, I guess it could be considering boring after a certain point.

But as it stands for me, playing all the maps, leveling up characters & getting Credits while enjoying a Co-op experience with friends is enough for me to put a lot more hours into the game.  More time than I would with all the Replays of the story I would do.

[/quote]

I can respect that. Without having to deal with people that are only there for the kills achievement or readiness it would be more pleasant. However I'm the opposite. I Put way more time into Mass Effect 2 off single player only 20+ play-throughs 1000+ hours,with me just now getting to insanity. I'm currently about to hit that on 3. I platted it on PS3 and am getting ready to go for 100% on 360 which would put me at around 12 play-throughs already.

[/quote]

That's cool, that's how you choose to play the game you purchased. 

I replayed ME 1 & 2 twice through & plan to make 1 big run through with all 3.  Not exactly sure when I will attempt it, but it is on my gaming agenda.  I'd really like to get a Full Digital release of the ME Trilogy to play through so I don't have to keep track of multiple discs.

As for the Multiplayer, I put a ton of hours into it & still haven't unlocked everything there is to use in it.  Again, i'm having fun playing with actual friends, only a few times I joined Public Matches to play, but I only do that when I want to feel like a real Hero & help whatever nubs I get stuck with.  Playing it with my friends, we have a great time helping each other out & getting Full Extractions.

If you want to knock a game for 'adding online' then it's just as valid to knock a game for having 'no online'.

I don't care whether or not YOU feel a game shouldn't have it, it all comes down to what the Developers of said franchise can do with it.

At this point there are plenty of ways to get an Online experience going, look at the other S-E title, Hitman Absolution, it has an online feature, just not co-op or MP.  Mass Effect added a Co-op experience that was once only a Solo experience.  There are plenty more to name, franchises that are much older.  Like Castlevania, Harmony of Despair, although not mind-blowing amazing, is quite fun playing Co-op with friends.  Even tho SotN is still king of that franchise, I won't shun Konami for trying something different.

Again, you seem to get all upset like I'm trying to say that Single Player games should be dead like disco.  That just isn't the case, i'm clearly stating my preference that adding a co-op feature is a great benefit for any franchise, if done properly.  I haven't seen any Co-op features done poorly, not as much as I've seen MP features.  

2 examples:

Darkness 1 had a lackluster MP mode, Darkness 2 added a Co-op campaign.  Fine by me.

Dead Space 2 had a lacking MP mode as well, now Dead Space 3 will have a Co-op mode.  That's great.

I'm not to be mistaken for a gamer who wants nothing but online spawn/kill/die/spawn MP matches.  I rarely find any game that appealing in that aspect, except for the few hits I enjoyed over the years.

But giving me an option to enjoy the gameplay experience with friends, in a nice co-op environment is something that has been booming, is still booming, and will continue to boom for years & decades.