New to this game

So yeah, I've heard so many great things about this game and so I decided to grab the ultimate edition off Amazon yesterday.

But I want to hear from you gamers who have actually played and finished the game itself.

What makes this game so great? Could it last me till Christmas?

Thanks!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I've been playing it for over a year. I finished it a whole lot sooner. But I love the game so I play it over and over (not to mention Awakening, Dragon Age 2 & Legacy). It's one of the only ways that I can relax after a long day at work.

I think the perks of this game are that there are some pretty cool battles and I like the fact that the main character can actually have friendships and romances with the other characters. And some of the weapons are pretty cool. I will warn you that a couple parts of the game can be tedious, but it's still fun.

There are lots of great things about this game.  I've played Origins and DAII three times each, and I'm playing through Awakenings, now.  The stories are compelling, the powers are fun, the side-characters are very entertaining, your choices truly do impact the outcome, the fights are visceral, and the game is flippin' hard.  When you play it on 'Hard' or 'Nightmare' difficulty (as you should), you'll get destroyed.  But, when you finally do beat it, you feel like you've actually accomplished something.  There are several possible endings, and many ways to play, based on your preferred styles.  Really, this game is awesome.

I've finished Dragon Age: Origins multiple times (Including: The Stone Prisoner, Warden's Keep, Return to Ostagar, The Darkspawn Chronicles, Leliana's Song, The Golems of Amgarrak, Witch Hunt & Awakening), and it is a great series. A good old sword & sorcery game, in similar vein to fantasy novels like those under the DragonLance and Forgotten Realms series of novels.

It can get difficult/tedious in certain areas, but it is worth sticking it out, as it's a very enjoyable series.

Great! thanks for the info, It's been some time since I played an actual good RPG, So I really can't wait to get started haha.

Do you think it will last me till December? Because I ordered the "ultimate Edition" so i think it comes with all DLC.

To get everything done and to experience everything in the game (which'll take at least 2-3 playthroughs), I think it'd last you til December easy. If you need any help/info etc, check out the Dragon Age Wiki, as that has almost all the information you'll need. I'll PM you the link.

Its really long, I had it for almost a year now and still haven't beaten it.

I've just started this game, and I'm trying my best not to use any walkthroughs for my first playthrough. Right now I'm really lost, though. The manual doesn't give a lot of context for how the controls work, or how things like Tactics or switching party members is supposed to aid me. Any advice for a newbie?

[quote user="Kimieva"]

I've just started this game, and I'm trying my best not to use any walkthroughs for my first playthrough. Right now I'm really lost, though. The manual doesn't give a lot of context for how the controls work, or how things like Tactics or switching party members is supposed to aid me. Any advice for a newbie?

[/quote]

The party tactics lets you assign beharioval commands to your squadmates and yourself (for whenever you take control of another party member). For example: You can assign a healer mage to heal you if your health drop below 50% or if you are surrounded by enemies you can have your warrior activate the ¨Threaten¨ talent (which make enemies focus on him/her instead). You should always select the companions that better complement your class and specialization.  

My advice:

• Play on casual or at the very least play on casual for the first couple of missions (the game is just as enjoyable on casual)
  • Complete the main missions in this order if you want to avoid difficulty spikes: Ostagar and Korcari Wilds> Lothering> Circle Tower> Redcliffe Village and Redcliffe Castle> Brecilian Forest> Urn of Sacred Ashes>Orzammar.
  • Choose your squad that better compliment your class. For example, if you are a Warrior then chose a Healer Mage, a Damage Mage, and a Rogue.
  •  Choose a talent skill tree and commit to it.
  • Rogues: Benefit greatly from having high  cunning and dexterity. The Duelist & Assassin are great specializations for a rogue.
  • Mages: Benefit greatly from having high willpower and Magic. The Arcane Warrior & Spirit Healer are great specializations for a Mage.
  • Warrior benefit greatly from having high strength, Constitution and Dexterity. The Champion & Templar are great specializations for a Warrior.
Hope this was useful.

@Kimieva Whoa whoa whoa! WHAT!? The circle tower first!?!? Are you freaking Crazy!?!?! Thats the hardest of the main story quests!

Heres the way you should do it.

Redcliffe castle> Brecilian forest> Urn of sacred ashes> Orzmmar> Circle tower.

Also make a mage, The game is way easier as a mage, and important since you will have so little mage party members.

Okay. Right now I'm playing a human warrior and I just went through the ritual of joining, or whatever it is to become a Warden. So I take it you have your choice in what order to do the main quests?