New to Skyrim

Hey everyone. I just got the game two days ago, and have been loving this! I have got about 5-7 hours in now. I have been ignoring the quests for the most part. Been enjoying walking around discovering all the places and hunting with my bow. I think I am a level 12 right now, and just trying to make my Archery and Sneak as best as possible. Any tips or things I should know before playing more?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Rotate your saves!

Don't bite off more than you can chew in the bandit dungeons, they gang up on you!

Yes, save often.  If you're wanting to play a sneak character head to Riften... like now.  You'll get hooked up with a good set of armor, and have plenty of quests to build your stealth skills.  You may want to consider taking a carriage (they are outside, at the gates of major cities like Whiterun, Solitude, Winterhold, etc) because it's a long and dangerous trip to Riften if you aren't a significant level and don't have a bunch of potions.  

[quote user="IxAMxSNIPERFROG"]

Yes, save often.  If you're wanting to play a sneak character head to Riften... like now.  You'll get hooked up with a good set of armor, and have plenty of quests to build your stealth skills.  You may want to consider taking a carriage (they are outside, at the gates of major cities like Whiterun, Solitude, Winterhold, etc) because it's a long and dangerous trip to Riften if you aren't a significant level and don't have a bunch of potions.  

[/quote]

I actually made my way to Riften last night :) I was impressed with the city. I got off after exploring a bit around there. What do you mean I will get good armor?

Go to the "square" of the town... which is actually kind of circular.  It has 3 or 4 stalls there, one's a jewlery dealer and the other 2 vendors sell miscellaneous goods.  By those stalls you should meet a guy named Byrnjolf.  He'll comment about how much money you have.  Talk to him.  If you can't find him at the stalls, he's usually in the "Bee and Barb" in which is right by the square.  Do what Byrnjolf wants and you'll be on your way to making a lot of money, getting a good set of light armor, and getting into quests that will up your sneak, pick pocket and lock picking skills.

Alternatively you can also get into the Dark Brotherhood (Assassin's guild).  To do that go to Windhelm and talk to the guard right by the main gate.  He should say something about the Artino boy trying to summon the Dark Brotherhood, and you should get an update in your miscellaneous quest log to go find the boy.  NOTE: The quest to find the Artino boy doesn't have to start in Windhelm.  Many different guards and rumors from inns across Skyrim will start this quest, but in my experience, Windhelm is guaranteed to give it to you.

I haven't done much of the Dark Brotherhood's quest line, but you apparently get some good armor from them too.  Either the Dark Brotherhood or the Thieves Guild is a good place to start for a sneak character.  You make a lot of coin fast with the Thieve's Guild though, but are asked to refrain from killing people.

Is there anything inperticular you would like to learn? I've spent 120 hours now in gameplay.

These tips are more for a completionist (like myself)

If you want 1000/1000 achievements make sure to follow a guide for Oblivion Walker since this achievement can be missed.

There is a quest where you have to collect 24 "unusual jews" so if you want to complete that print off a list of their locations and mark them off as you find them to save a lot of headache later

I'm doing a 4th playthrough just for fun, am ignoring the quests and just doing what I want to do. The sequence that I think is nearly optimum in a new game is to:

1. Go to Riverwood and Whiterun as instructed, learn some smithing, alchemy, and enchantment. Buy & Sell.

2. Learn to use the carriage just south of Whiterun. This provides cheap transportation to all the major cites, enabling you to fast travel to them later.

3. Go to Bleak Falls to do 2 quests.

4.Go to watchtower, kill dragon, please the jarl, acquire Lydia. Lydia helps in combat AND helps you carry a lot of extra loot.

5. As early as possible, find the Lord Stone (up in the snow NNW of Whiterun) and get that blessing.  

[quote user="OldPepsiMan"]

5. As early as possible, find the Lord Stone (up in the snow NNW of Whiterun) and get that blessing.  

[/quote]

Why the Lord Stone

Since it sounds like he's leaning more towards a Thief character - so why not use the Thief Stone