New To Skyrim. Advice

Hello all. I just bought my Legendary copy today from Best Buy, on sale for $30. I'm installing the main game right now. I'm wondering, should I install the DLC right away, or should I wait?  I'd really like some advice on that. 

Also, any other advice anyone may have would be great. I browsed around the forum for a bit, and wow is there a lot on here. I've never really played a game this big besides Fallout 3, and did beat all the DLC, even though it took me a couple of years because of other games getting in the way. :)

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="U BAMBOOZLED ME"] I'm wondering, should I install the DLC right away, or should I wait?  I'd really like some advice on that. [/quote]

Only thing I found you have to worry about if you are installing the DLC straight away is the vampire attacks on the towns and villages. You can start the Dawnguard DLC at about level 10 though so you should be able to avoid too many innocents being killed if you jump right into the quest line for Dawnguard as soon as it's available.

Hey, thanks. Sounds like I'll wait. Do the DLC's happen to had good items or weapons like Fallout 3 did or do I not have to worry about that?

Going into this game, I wanted to be an archer, so I chose Wood Elf as my race. Just wondering everyone's thoughts on that.

I think the player built houses are much better than the bought townhouses and you can get the first one from Falkreath at level 9 or 10. If you go as soon as you get the letter then the bandit stronghold you will have to clear is doable solo. You won't get Dragonborn until level 20 and it doesn't cause problems until then. I think those problems are minor. I didn't get Dawnguard until last fall. You get a good bow as a major reward and the ability to make your own really good arrows once you unlock advanced perk in smithing. As an archer, I wish I had known that sooner because they are better than any others available. At low levels the vampires aren't too bad and you can minimize civilian damage by fast traveling to a nearby location outside of town or making sure you will arrive in daylight. That same advice is also good for minimizing dragon attacks on towns. Any race can do anything you want so be what you like the looks of. The racial bonuses are of use early but it all evens out. My archer/mage was a Nord and very strong by level 50.

The best advice is that you should not ask for advice.

As far as Vampire attacks go, they're a bit rough but if you aren't playing on a high difficulty you have little to worry about, and the Dawnguard/Vampire equipment/magic/whatever is very much worth having it installed.

just go balls-deep and install it all. you'll be missing out if you don't.

I say install.

The game is best in it`s complete form.

I made sure to avoid any and all towns as much as possible unless I needed to because of a quest during Dawnguard so the towns people were not slaughtered. It worked perfectly, not a single civilian was harmed... now it's only those dragons to try and avoid in towns.

-

Not to sound like a jerk or anything OP, but I'm sure you'll discover the beauty of the game more by discovering and exprimenting with it on your own, especially your first time with it as that is the most special time.

-

All-in-all it's a very good game that will keep you going for hundreds of hours... good luck.

i had dragons attacking towns even before any DLC came out, so its always possible to happen. just FYI

^

If you were talking to Mafivee, he will certainly know that : )

mainly just throwing it out there for the OP