New to New Vegas (Character Build)

Well I finally finished Fallout 3.  My dude was pretty powerful.  I played the entire game on Super Easy just cause that's how I roll.

I'm looking at creating a dude for New Vegas (Just got the game for $15)

So I was guided by this video

for my F3 character, and I worked really well - the main thing being not to put 10 points into any SPECIAL because of the bobbleheads.

Now, I've watched his other video

, but he advising to max INT out at 10 - however, I hear you have Implants now so what would be the point if you can get an Implant to change 9 to 10?

From what I've read, FNV is quite different in terms of character build, and you want to gear your dude towards your style of gameplay.

So here's the gameplay I would do.

- Be able to basically say any dialogue available (But in F3, Charisma wasn't very important since I could still max speech with low CHA)

- In F3 I did most of my killing with laser weapons and alien guns, but I'd like a very strong shot

- Rarely travel with a companion

- Carry a lot of weapons

- Explore a lot

- Get as many perks and skill points as possible

Any ideas?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

there are Implants available, but not Immediately in the game and they cost money, there is one for every special + a couple of others, but you can't take them all, I think you can take 8 from 9, you can also get a +2 to strength in the OWB Dlc, if you want loads of perks and you don't mind a bit of glitching to get them, look at the Powder Ganger Glitch thread on here,  I have 1 of my characters built using it, and have 77 perks so far, and im not that far into the main game, but have finished the 3 DLC's, It's a good game, some people say it's too spread out and not the same as FO3, but it's set in a desert, not a major city, so there will be less populated areas, but there's loads to do and find, and some decent weapons as well, If you want an Alien Blaster, you need to take the Wild Wasteland trait, otherwise you will get a powerful Gauss rifle,  

The number of implants you can take is determined by your base Endurance.  If your End is 6 then you can take 6 implants.  If you boost your End to 7 with the End implant you are still limited to 6 total implants.  However, if you take the Intense Training perk to boost your End to 7 you can now take 7 implants.  So if you plan on taking a bunch of implants (limit one per SPECIAL + a couple of non-SPECIAL related ones) then you will need a high Endurance.  This means that if you have that End of 6, then putting Int at 10 to start with means that you can still take all of the other SPECIAL boosting implants.

I think that vid was off when he said the implants cost 4-8000 caps. I'm pretty sure the Health Regen cost me 12K

[quote user="DecafKingRat"]

I think that vid was off when he said the implants cost 4-8000 caps. I'm pretty sure the Health Regen cost me 12K

[/quote]

Senator DecafKingRat is right. The first batch of implants you have access to from the Health Clinic are expensive and Health Regen costs a whopping 12K but later down the line when you venture into Old World Blues there are more implants available that do not require any special parameters. One implant in particular costs a staggering 20,000 and gives you the ability to crouch-move at a 20% faster speed so you can remain hidden.

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqhoXjwA7s]

This helped me. ^^^^

I'm not sure you really have to worry about it so much. I've MAX'ed out XP on every DLC and now have my Specials at 10, 8, 10, 8, 9, 9, 7.  My unarmed skill is still just a whopping 57+ and Melee is only at 62+. Nearly everything else is above 90 with some key stuff at 100. Guns, Lockpick, Repair, Science, Sneak and Speech. If you really want to do have some extra fun go into your PipBoy under DATA + Misc and do the challenges. They give you extra perks that are not available any other way. They stack up on each other the higher you get and they do help. I can kill bark scorpoins with a BB gun now that I'm a level 3 Bug Stomper.

Here's a question then

For 7 SPECIALs, I can't get more than 7 implants no matter what I put in strength.  Correct?

And also, like in FO3, I can't go over 10?

So I'm thinking of putting INT at 9, END at 6.

Where should I put the rest?  I love the lock picking and the multi dialogue options.

CHA and LUCK?

What else is important in NV?

Luck is pretty worthless to me, I get all my caps by selling snow globes to Mr. House. I think its 1000-2000 caps per.

[quote user="lilNIPPY"]

Here's a question then

For 7 SPECIALs, I can't get more than 7 implants no matter what I put in strength.  Correct?

And also, like in FO3, I can't go over 10?

So I'm thinking of putting INT at 9, END at 6.

Where should I put the rest?  I love the lock picking and the multi dialogue options.

CHA and LUCK?

What else is important in NV?

[/quote]

I would get my endurance up as I think there is only one extra of that. Remember this all depends on the suit you wear. Your DT can vary alot. Here goes.

As of my last finish this is where I was at. Level 45 with XP Maxed out again. The plus signs come from perks and armour. Now just waiting for Lonesome Road. Going to start all over from scratch tonight.

Barter 95
Energy Weapons 99 (+)
Explosives 64 (+)
Guns 100 (+)
LockPick 100 (+)
Medicine 93
Melee Weapons 62 (+)
Repair 100
Science 100
Sneak 100 (+)
Speech 100
Survival 77 (+)
Unarmed 57 (+)

Strength 10 +
Perception 8 +
Endurance 10 +
Charisma 8
Intelligence 9
Agility 9 +
Luck 7

My list of Perks is just too long to do. I have 6 Implants from the clinic. She won't give me any more.
I have the Abominable perk level 3, Animal Control perk level 3, and the Bug Stomper perk level 3.
I have the DNAvenger perk level 2 with one more to go. Cazadors ain't nothing.
I use the Grim Reaper's Sprint. I do have all the implants from Big Mountain.
I also took all 10 levels of Intense Training and still I'm not going to make all specials to 10.
OH! and I have 3 levels of LORD DEATH. I quote "You gain a bonus against everything, because you like killing everything."
Machine Head level 2, both levels of the Toughness Perk. +6 to my DT.
BUT STILL!
I'm a Heartless, Spineless Lobotomite wandering the wastes with some ditzy chic talking in my head all the time.

Sorry I typo'd.

I meant for 7 SPECIALs, I can't get more than 7 implants no matter what I put in ENDURANCE.

Correct?