New to Halo

For somebody new to the Halo universe, which would be the best game to start with? dont knw whether to start with the original game or the new anniversary edition? or 2,3, Halo Reach ? i like shoot em ups but also like something with a good story, Bioshock and Deus Ex are 2 of my favourites.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

If you want to go in chronological order, start with reach -> Anniversary Edition -> 2 -> ODST (Falls roughly on the same timeline, but 2 starts a bit earlier) -> 3

In my opinion,

Reach -> Weakest of the series

Anniversary -> Best Single Player

2 -> Ok SP, MP is a blast if you've got some friends to play with, Online MP has been disabled

3 -> Strong SP, Strong MP, also a blast if you can get some friends for it, don't know what the online pop. is

I haven't played anything other than Halo: CE Annivesary, but IMHO there is almost no story to the first Halo. Certainly not compared to BioShock or Deus Ex.

[quote user="Kimieva"]

I haven't played anything other than Halo: CE Annivesary, but IMHO there is almost no story to the first Halo. Certainly not compared to BioShock or Deus Ex.

[/quote]

o_O

No disrespect, but...have you...maybe not really been paying attention to what's been going on story-wise while you've been playing?  The Forerunners, the origin of Halo itself, the Covenant and their battle with the Humans, not to mention the Flood and their purpose and origins...Halo CE has one of the richest and most intriguing storylines of any FPS I've ever played.

No, I paid attention to it all. I just think a lot of what you are referencing must take place in other games. Beyond some vague reference to religious reasons, I still have no idea why the Covenant is at war with humanity. I don't know why the Flood was created much less what purpose it apparently serves, only that the Forerunners stopped it and decided to preserve it for study. I know why the Halo network was built and what its purpose is, but beyond that...and if the Terminals weren't in place to give you more of a background on the Forerunners and the Monitor, I shudder to think what the game would have been like 10 years ago.

If I'm missing something, by all means, enlighten me, but I've played through the game two complete times and and read all the Terminals, and I don't think there's anything there except the barest framework that the other Halo games eventually expanded upon.

More directly, point me to where in the game I missed the detail you're talking about, and I'll go replay that section.

Addendum to previous post: for that matter, I still don't know who the Master Chief is or what a Spartan is, or why he's apparently so important.

Ok, fair enough...I suppose there's the possibility that I'm looking at the game through glasses that are slightly rose-tinted.  

However, you have to remember that 10 years ago, there really was nothing quite like this on consoles.  Gameplay-wise, it was basically a "sandbox shooter" (back before terms like that were even used), in the sense that you weren't confined to a specific path through most levels, and you were pretty free to engage enemies how you saw fit.  The fact that there was a well-thought-out storyline to go along with it really made the game stand out.  I think what really did it for me was that there's enough of a story there, and enough things are hinted at, that even if the game didn't go into expansive detail, I got a *sense* of a really rich game world with a deep history, which drew me in and made me want to learn more, which obviously the subsequent games expanded upon.

To be fair Halo certainly doesn't have a very in depth story when you compare it to a game like Bioshock.   There isn't an awful lot of dialogue, it's mainly just killing aliens in the campaign.   In Bioshock you are constantly in contact with characters of the game and the audio tapes in Bioshock provide alot of background information on what's happened in Rapture.

When i first played the Halo 3 campaign, i honestly didn't have a clue what was going on plot wise.  

Kim, yes your right, and two posts above me are right. Everything that has been released to date has answered all of those questions and alot more. The Forerunners are still very mysterious and these terminals have made them even more so, Halo 4.. well... I don't know, here it comes.

Oh and L33TG3M3R, Bioshock isn't a very big story to tell; a guy built a city underwater, people got high and became "infected". Big Daddies and Little Sisters take back the infected stuff.

That's really the only "secondary" stuff to tell. With Halo there is alot more.

eg. "Primary" stuff is Master Cheif and the Pillar of Autumn.

"Secondary" stuff is the Forerunners, Halo, the Covenant, where's all the other humans, etc.

See the dilema? (I actually really love the Bioshock series, which is why I've almost maxed both games)

I agree that Halo universe has alot more stories to tell than the Bioshock universe.

But if you only consider the games Halo and Bioshock alone, i think Bioshock provides a much better story telling experience than Halo.