New Player Tips

Im starting a playthrough of Mass Effect 2 for the first time in anticipation of Mass Effect 3.  I beat Mass Effect 1 a couple of times.  I am looking for any tips that veteran players have that you wish you knew when you first started.  Thanks!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Save often and turn Squad Power Usage off.

Don't waste time scanning planets for mineralos unless they are "rich".

Upgrade your passive ability and class specific ability first.

Learn which weapons and tech/biotics are effective against shields, armour and health.  No use wasting ammo hammering away at a shielded mech when you can Overload it.

Have a look at the different armour suits and upgrades in order to wear items which compliment your playstyle, too

Wherever there's an opportunity to remind Miranda who's in charge, take it.  "You lost all of the crew and damned near lost the ship too!"  Yeah, like that wouldn't have happened if she was in charge!  Wherever there's an opportunity to take somebody other than Miranda on a mission, take it.  Just leave her in her office and to her surveillance duties...:-)

best noob advice: beat the game

dont get caught up tryin to do everything and see everything in the first playthru. if youre gonna play it multiple times just get thru the game once, see the ending and go from there. then go back and play the game as a different class and give yerself a chance to see what else Mass Effect 2 has to offer

[quote user="Arkham99"]

Wherever there's an opportunity to remind Miranda who's in charge, take it.  "You lost all of the crew and damned near lost the ship too!"  Yeah, like that wouldn't have happened if she was in charge!  Wherever there's an opportunity to take somebody other than Miranda on a mission, take it.  Just leave her in her office and to her surveillance duties...:-)

[/quote]

miri has the best load out of any squadmate, even if you dont like her she is a quality asset. leaving her behind out of spite will hurt shepards overall effectiveness early on especially if youre team load out doesnt have warp AND overload stashed away somewhere. just give her [powers] a chance

If you're playing as a soldier/vanguard/infiltrator, always pick the upgraded weapon when you get the chance. Widow/Claymore/Widow respectively.

If you're playing as a Adept/Sentinel/Engineer... I'd suggest getting the Assault Rifle training on the Collector Ship and equip either the Geth Pulse Rifle (If only for the rate of fire this thing has, with Warp Ammo, brings enemies down PDQ) or the Mattock. I wouldn't go for the Shotgun or Sniper Rifle training for these three classes, as AR Training is a good bridge between Close Quarters (Shotgun) and Long Range (Sniper Rifle).

[quote user="Deaths Head 200"]

If you're playing as a Adept/Sentinel/Engineer... I'd suggest getting the Assault Rifle training on the Collector Ship and equip either the Geth Pulse Rifle (If only for the rate of fire this thing has, with Warp Ammo, brings enemies down PDQ) or the Mattock. I wouldn't go for the Shotgun or Sniper Rifle training for these three classes, as AR Training is a good bridge between Close Quarters (Shotgun) and Long Range (Sniper Rifle).

[/quote]

The Widow has the power to kill the Harbinger in one hit on Veteran difficulty, and two shots on Insanity.

That's true, however only Soldier and Infiltrator class Shepard's can wield the M-98 Widow... The Adept, Engineer, Sentinel and Vanguard can't use it.

Which powers would you upgrade first as a soldier?