New. How can we tell if we're in modded games?

I don't know anything about computers or hacking and haven't been on XBL long. How can we tell if we're in a modded game or not? Is it possible to even be in one even though you haven't joined a private game or match? I never join any private games or matches but sometimes I see things like players darting across the map like the road runner (for shooter games), stay in matches that never end even though the entire opposing has left the game, or have x-ray vision and see thru walls (for shooter games) and some other odd things I think. When I first started playing on XBL I didn't quite know what I was doing and I might have accidently wound up in a private match while in a party every once in a while. I never joined any private games ever since I've been told not to though (to completely avoid modded games I've been told). Is it possible and safe to still join modded games even though you didn't choose a private game? Or is there anything we can or should do to counter this?  

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

1. For CODs prior to Black Ops it's gotten to the point where it's near impossible not to notice when you're in a modded lobby. That's not me having a pop at you but the modders are really that brazen these days. General rule is if something doesn't look right switch off your console immediately.

2. It is possible to get dumped into a modded lobby via matchmaking, it's rare but speaking from experience it can happen. As before if in doubt switch off your console.

3. Because of certain perks & killstreaks in a few games players running around extremely quickly and seemingly having X-Ray vision isn't the cast iron guarantee that someone is modding that it once was. For instance your roadrunner player could easily be using the Lightweight & Marathon perks (COD) or the sprint ability (Reach). X Ray vision players could easily have been taking advantage of a Spy Plane/Blackbird their team had along with the Hardened perk (COD) then making an educated guess. Heck they may even have some muzzle flare through a doorway and trying their luck with firing through the wall.

4. In general it's not that safe to join modded lobbies. As before if in doubt switch off your console to preserve your stats and clear any infections you might have picked up. Don't accept invites to games from people you don't know either.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Right now it seems as though the majority of the modded games are in the CoD series.  You've pretty much listed the majority of them that are out there although there are more.

The best bet for you is that if you get into an online lobby that looks strange immediately back out and restart your console so you don't carry any of them off to another lobby with you.  If you do that, you run the risk of getting your account banned as well as the PET members have now started a no tolerance policy on the CoD mods.

Sorry this didn't help.

Vernier, onyx

How do you restart your console? Just turn it off and on again?

And how do you clear your infections?

What I meant by x-ray vision is that I'm the one getting x-ray vision. I can actually see thru walls and hills in a shooter game

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow what happened to this thread? I see 2 of both answers from you guys.

Anyway, what I also meant by dartin across the map was that they ran all the way across the map from 1 end to the other just like only 3 seconds. tops.

Sorry this didn't help.

When an answer is verified, it gets repeated. I assume to make sure it is not missed by others who may read the thread.

Also if you back out of the game and then power off, as onyx mentions, it will mean that any stats the modder might have changed will be saved to your account. So make sure to follow Vernier's advice and power off the console if you find yourself in a modded lobby.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sounds like you have already been in a modded lobby. You should know that by participating in such a lobby subjects your account to enforcement action by way of a permanent account ban. The XBL PET can tell who joined by accident and left immediately versus those who joined and played. Common sense should tell anyone that if something doesn't seem right you should leave. Your clue to do so should have been the x-ray vision and super speed, unless of course you were playing Superman.

Sorry this didn't help.

No I wasn't playing super man I was playing a shooter. I've always tried to leave those games but I've never turned my console off and back on again after any of them.

Do I just leave the game then turn my console off and back on again?

Sorry this didn't help.

voteDC, are you a moderator?

I can't tell, I'm new to Xbox

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't leave the game, just switch off your console immediately.

Sorry this didn't help.

No signing out of profile or logging?

Sorry this didn't help.