New here

I'm new to The Elder Scrolls Series. My brother has played since Arena and knows a lot about The Elder Scrools. At first, the game is hard to get into if you only played so many RPGs. The game can a challenge for some. (Like myself) I need some tips and tricks though. Tell me what I need to know below.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Personally, i think you should take time to explore. Dont dive straight into the main quest, when i played it for the first time I took my time to get to know the game and explore the world. You'll get into the swing of things soon enough :D

As for specific tips and tricks... go to the waterfront in the imperial city and stay at the inn there.

UESP is your friend, use it!  If you have any questions, chances are your answer is on the site.  If you can't find what you're looking for, feel free to post here!

Here's a gameplay guide for first-time players which I hope you find helpful!

Also, if you enjoy Oblivion I would highly recommend its predecessor Morrowind, which can be found for dirt-cheap nowadays

I good thing to start with is going to the Arena in the Imperial City. You can see different kinds of enemies, and get some spending money for later. Plus, if you become Grand Champion, people like you some more. There is really so much to do in this game. And as Payne said, go to the inn at the Waterfront. I hear that they have wonderful entertainment :)

Take everything Azure says with a grain of salt, he's one of the most massive trolls on these forums.

That said, don't take Alchemy, Athletics, Acrobatics, Mercantile, or Speechcraft as a Major Skill and just take the game as it comes. Don't rush and do the main quest, do it very slowly, ideally finishing it by ~level 18-23.

DO NOT GIVE AZURA'S STAR TO THE INDIVIDUAL WHO WILL ASK YOU. GIVE SOME OTHER ARTIFACT TO HIM THAT YOU'LL NEVER USE; AZURA'S STAR IS ONE OF THE BEST ITEMS IN THE GAME.

If you're into older games, give Morrowind a try. It's the third game in the Elder Scrolls series, and is much better from a lore, narrative, and RPG perspective. The landscape is also unique, alien, and beautiful, and people still have massive arguments about certain parts of the game's Main Quests on the official forums, to this day.

Take things at your own pace. The game follows what you do.

[quote user="Captain Beretta"]

Take things at your own pace. The game follows what you do.

[/quote]I choose a custom class as a Mage, I recently y joined the Mage's guild and did one of their quests. I do have problem with level up system as this game a SERIOUS patience. I also am working on my Bade skills and others. I was originally going to do Morrowind, (My oldest brother still has it and it work on the Xbox 360.) but recommended Oblivion over the simple fact that in Morrowind they don't guide you as much, and it's easy to got to a VERY dangerous place at a low-experienced, low-level character and/or player.

Which is part of what makes that game better.

[quote user="Taldarin"]

Which is part of what makes that game better.

[/quote]

100% better. That's how an RPG should be.

The levelling system is one of the few things that Two Worlds has over Oblivion. If you wonder too far in Two Worlds at a low level then you're looking for a cooking! But in Oblivion, the levelling kinda takes away the pleasure of being a strong, high level character. The new armour you have access to soon becomes boring and useless.

That said, i've still yet to purchase Two Worlds II, so can't comment on that, but it's certainly true for the former.

With regards to AZURA's STAR. No truer statement has been said. It's an amazing item in the game, and the main quest (stupidly) seems to lead you down the path of sacrificing it. So someone rushing would not think twice, or someone who is not as well travelled wouldn't. I certainly fell into the trap on my first playthrough.

Keep it, and use it!

The level scaling in Oblivion takes away from everything. There's no point in leveling up, because it'll only change what the game looks like, more or less, which is the exact opposite of what leveling up should do. You never have to be wary of where you go or what you do, because if trouble comes, you'll always know that depending on what your level is there's a short list of what kind of trouble you'll be facing and it won't too difficult to deal with. And on the rare chance you do fight something challenging, let's face it, as long as you haven't be slacking you can just run backwards, swing your weapon, and cast heal on yourself until it dies. You're stuck fighting enemies that are more or less on par with you, forever. You will never be able to scoff at futile attempts to attack you, nor will you ever legitimately fear a particular foe.

And it's the same thing with loot, depending on your level there's a short list of what you'll find. Once you get a full loadout of current level equipment there's no point in doing any more treasure hunting because you already have what you need for the time being and the game literally does not let you get anything better than that at your level. There's no sense of wonder or exploration, and that's a big part of what killed the game for me.

Thankfully that changed (somewhat) with FO3, and hopefully the scaling will be more like New Vegas when Skyrim comes out.