Need help with mage character

OK im playing on adapt and im level 12. I use conjuration for the bound sword nothing else. Restoration to heal of course. Then destruction is the main thing i use. Then im wearing robes novice robes of destruction. Then I keep getting killed by everything i would use higher spells but the higher spells keep missing for some reason i even make sure im not to close or not to far and the spells go off in a different direction from where im aiming.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Maybe you need some practice aiming, because I am fairly certain that the spells go where you aim them. Or maybe it is a sign from a higher being that you should not be a mage, or just not a destruction mage. EVIl, EVIL!

Try using frostbite or flame.  Frostbite slows down the enemy some and does decent damage.  I went with healing on one hand and usually frostbite in the other.....didn't really have any problems.  Use lots of potions/food.

The spells do go where you aim but you do have to put the crosshairs where you intend to hit. This can be hard in the heat of battle. I'm a destruction mage and finally have upgraded to the Adept Fire spell which has an area of attack of 15 ft. That really helps in a pinch. I quit using a sword a long time ago (I just made level 22 after 5 hours clearing my first dwemer ruin). I use bow and sneak when I can and otherwise just blast away with magic. My go to is still fire because flames set things on fire and firebolt deals additional damage to things on fire. I keep one in each hand. I have strong fire and ice for the dragons less emphasis on lightening because I don't often see mages yet. A strong ice is really good against a lot of things if you can get them from a distance because it saps stamina and so slows them down (as snotty said). I also got two words each for two different ice shouts and they work great. You should invest in one of the flesh spells and use it as you approach a battle whether you wear armor or not, it helps. I was at level 13 and quit and started over with the same high elf mage because I knew I was doing something wrong because I kept dying. Don't feel like a wuss if you drop the difficulty in a hard fight and don't forget to strategically level if that's an option.

Yeah that Adept fireball with the 15 ft blast radius is where its at.  If you miss it don't matter they still take damage.  Just aim at the ground at there feet and they'll get hit.

"My go to is still fire because flames set things on fire and firebolt deals additional damage to things on fire".

Does firebolt do bonus damage if it hits targets that are already on fire... or is it that followup attacks with weapons to more damage to targets if they're burning when the attack hits? I think you might find it's the latter, though I'm not certain.

Worth checking.

I've played to level 53 as a pure mage, and I get very little use out of Destruction.  If you really want to wreck your enemies, start putting points into Illusion.  Most powerful school of the 5.  Using this with conjure will make you a god.  Spells like Fury and Frenzy will make enemies turn on each other, and your conjured creatures will mop up the rest.  This combination of magic was generally considered to be the ONLY build that could survive Oblivion on the Very Hard setting.  A word of warning though, once you max these out, most of the challenge will be gone, even on Master.  You'll be practially untouchable, especially if you also use the Mage Armor (Alteration) perks.

I'm lvl 41 with a pure mage and I maxed conjuration first...now that I have 2 summoned creatures, it's much, much easier.  I only have 150 hp, so if I get targeted I'm in trouble, but for the most part I sit back and let my pets do the dirty work - while I toss in the occasional fireball/icestorm/chain lightning.  I highly recommend bumping your enchanting also.  I have about 90% spell cost reduction for conjuration and destruction, and mana is not a problem anymore.

Seaker, have you leveled Alteration at all?  The Mage Armor perks are incredible for boosting survivability.  Using the Ebonyflesh protection spell, with these perks, gives you 300 armor for a couple of minutes.  It saves you from getting one-shotted.

With those robes, you dont have any armor dude. Robes have no armor rating so your venerable to any and all damage. You need to level your alteration so you can use the spells like oakflesh, stoneflesh, steelflesh, ebonyflesh to give you some armor and help decrease the amount of damage you take.

But one reason I personally don't like using fire or ice spells is they travel quite slow, and if your target is mid-long range, (which is the range you want to be since your wearing robes) then those spells tend to miss as the target can easily step to the side and the spell misses.

Up close, those spells arent that much of a problem when it comes to accuracy. But then again, you don't want to be up close with robes on.

When using those spells from a distance, I have to aim where the target is going to be, and not where they are standing at the present if they are mobile. Which can be tough to do.

And because of that, I use lighting spells. They travel a great distance QUICKLY. They get to where your aimming almost instantly. I hit my target more times with lightning spells than with fire of ice spells. They take up more mana to use, but you may want to try them out and see how your aimming is.

"Firebolt A blast of fire that does 25 points of damage. Targets on fire take extra damage"   That's from the guide and the wiki. To me that says if you use a firebolt (and it applies to any firespell) there will be extra damage after they are on fire. I'm still low level and haven't any illusion spells that work on the level of enemies I face. I was never comfortable with fear and frenzy and such. I had a staff of summon familiar at level 5 and the familiar couldn't handle a low level spider. I have a Frost Atronach staff and it did wonders against a Forsworn camp but four falmer in the dwemer ruins made short work of it; but my fire wiped them out. It did squat against a Bandit Marauder. I guess I prefer to do it myself. I'm not always good at aiming in the heat of battle so delivering a frenzy or fear doesn't always work and 30 seconds isn't enough time. Maybe at higher levels it would.