Need help: Unsupported disc error, false tampering claim

Hello, there's a lot to tell here regarding my issue so please bear with me and please read either all of it or nothing. I don't want to leave any important details out as I know I'm telling the 100% truth about how Microsoft's update broke my system, how they refused to fix it while under warranty, and their false tampering accusations which have left me feeling frustrated, helpless, and scammed.

I bought a brand new, factory sealed Xbox 360 Slim around this time last year, played it for a while then got bored with it and stopped playing for a few months over the winter. As my profile shows, I have two games (have online receipts, original cases/discs), and have pretty low play time on both. What I'm trying to say here is I've hardly used the system since purchase, and that this is verifiable.

The console was working perfectly fine up until a couple months ago when I logged on to play again after the break I took. When I started up the system I was prompted to update to the "2.0.12625.0" patch. During the patch I experienced an error which read "3143 - 3151 - B380 - 1342 - C000 - 0185". I looked up the error online and was not able to find any information about it. I tried patching again and it went through without error. However, directly after the update I began experiencing an error I never had before, where it would give me an "unreadable disc" error when I tried to play a game.

I tried both of my games and both games got this error. I could tell the disc drive itself was still working as the dashboard would correctly show which game I had in. I was also able to download the games to the hard drive fully, but that did not change the error. I went online and followed every step Microsoft recommends to fix such errors. After those failed to work, I researched the internet for quite a long time and noticed that many other people experienced the same issue after the "2.0.12625.0" patch, but no one had posted how they resolved the error. At that point I noticed a Wikipedia article was saying there was another update coming out soon that would do something to disc drives, so I opted to wait till then to see if that helped at all.

When the "2.0.13146.0" patch was released, I patched to that and tested if I could now play my games. Unfortunately I still received an error, but the error changed with the patch from "unreadable disc" to "unsupported disc." I spent more time on the internet trying to figure it out then finally gave up after most searches lead to things dealing with pirated games, which mine simply are not. Without finding an answer, I then put in a repair request online and shipped my console to Microsoft.

This week while checking emails Microsoft had sent me during the "repair," one of the links I followed showed me that my warranty had expired January 1st, 1900 (previously it was some time in September 2011) and that my system was not available for service. At first I thought this was some error on the site, but after a day or two of still getting the false warranty information I searched for it online. I found out that that was Microsoft's way of saying the warranty was voided during service for tampering. I was pissed but at the same time optimistic this was wrong since I know without a doubt I haven't tampered with the system in any way. I decided I'd hold off on getting angry until I could confirm when my Xbox arrived back to me.

I got my Xbox delivered today, and just as I had feared there was a letter attached to my Xbox saying they found evidence of tampering and that they will no longer provide repair service. Looking over my console, I can see Microsoft placed several small red stickers that look like arrows on the system, but I don't know what those represent as I see nothing else there that they could point to. I can also see that they have torn off most of a sticker that was on the back of the console.

Needless to say I'm feeling a lot of negative emotions right now about this situation. I'm still having a hard time getting my mind around the fact that Microsoft can essentially break the product I purchased from them via required update (admittedly probably not intentional), then refuse to fix it for no legitimate reason so they can get out of warranty obligations. My Xbox went from the factory sealed packaging to sitting on my desk and hadn't moved an inch until it was sent in for repair, yet they claim tampering? Sorry, but no. There's no chance I tampered with it. None.

When I calm down and get the time to sit on hold on the phone, I do plan on calling Microsoft but according to people with similar experiences, they refuse to do anything about it due to their policies. In the meantime I'm hoping that posting here will get me some help from either Microsoft workers with more integrity or helpful customers with suggestions on what to do from here. I plan on exploring all reasonable options restlessly until they fix this situation, but obviously I don't want to pursue non-class action litigation versus a corporate giant, something they probably know.

Thanks for reading. Please no trolls.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 28 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sigh, need to add this to the mess now. I just put my Xbox back on my desk and hooked it up, booted it up to see if I had everything plugged in right and found out that not only did support not fix my Xbox, they broke it even further. Before sending it to them, my Xbox could do everything except play games. Now when I boot up it brings up a black screen that says "System Error. Contact Xbox Customer Support." in several languages. Down at the bottom it says "E 55". The light on the power button is now red as well. I can't even believe this is happening.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Something isn't ringing true here. For one I'm fairly certain the console never tells you what version the patch is at any point during the update, you just get prompted for an update and it does it's thing. A class action suit is asking for trouble, for one when they open the console up in court if modifications are found then you're going to find yourself with a large bill very quickly and no way of showing you didn't make the modifications.

Sorry this didn't help.

I never said the patch window itself said which patch it was, maybe it did or didn't I can't remember that, but I know from doing the research which patch I was patching to in each event based on dates and I included it because it's relevant information. Not sure why you made that assumption.

Sorry this didn't help.

The red stickers and arrows would be the signs where they found tampering

If you had purchased the console used then take up the issue with the seller

As they do take photographs for court

Sorry this didn't help.

'The console was working perfectly fine up until a couple months ago when I logged on to play again after the break I took. When I started up the system I was prompted to update to the "2.0.12625.0" patch. During the patch I experienced an error which read "3143 - 3151 - B380 - 1342 - C000 - 0185". I looked up the error online and was not able to find any information about it. I tried patching again and it went through without error. However, directly after the update I began experiencing an error I never had before, where it would give me an "unreadable disc" error when I tried to play a game.'

That is where he came to that assumption from. You said it there.

There was an update which rendered discs un-readable in some xbox consoles. But microsoft are able to tell which consoles are affected by the bug. Have you opened the console yourself to see if you can see what is wrong with it? If you have, this is classed as tampering and would be the reason why they had refused to fix it.

Sorry this didn't help.

As I said, I bought the console brand new last year, and once it left the factory sealed packaging it sat on my desk and never budged. So no I never opened it up, never even considered it. I see no visible markings where the red stickers are.

Sorry this didn't help.

i am having this problem i bought 2 games wc 2010 and black ops both were working properly until i joined xbox live now i cannot play black ops as it gives an error Unsupported disc wts the problem now cuz WC 2010 is working properly then y nt Balck Ops help me pls.

Sorry this didn't help.

you're much better off appealing to fellow consumers for answers. in my experience, xbox support has gone very downhill over recent years and it seems that current practice is to figure out what you did wrong just to tell you you're SOL and they cant help you. in the event that it is in fact an issue microsoft should fix, they'll either pitch you suggestions that remove their liability and require you to pay for the solution, or they'll flat out not tell you the next step in fixing your issue. again, that's my experience. over a month ago my Fable 2 disc went faulty and posted my issue here (I actually figured out it was the disc that was faulty with the help of xbox support staff) but once it was revealed that the disc was faulty all I got as far as a "solution" was "pay for resurfacing or buy another copy". which, although unreasonable and unhelpful in my opinion, was margianally better than support staff on "xbox.com" telling me to "contact the disc manufacturer" which would be microsoft. I have yet to receive any kind of useful solution or suggestion to my issue, and have not been given any kind of information as to how I can obtain a replacement disc, let alone how to contact microsoft to obtain my replacement if, in fact, these "support" forums are not considered an acceptable form of contact.

Sorry this didn't help.

OP: While I am sympathetic to your issue (and believe me, I am) you aren't going to get any help here regarding this issue. You'll probably get folks quoting the Terms of Use and definitely other users inciting riots and whatnot, but the truth of the matter is any issues with your repair need to be taken up with that department of phone support. Again, I'm terribly sorry for the frustration, confusion, and everything, but please ring them up and see if you can get your issue sorted with them. Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

@ gwyther: are you ever going to tell me how I can contact microsoft as a disc manufacturer? I was cooperative for the first 20 days or so but now it's been 43 days since I posted my issue.

Sorry this didn't help.