My Xbox is damaging my disks!

I was playing my COD Black Ops disk and was playing matchmaking, then I switched to Zombies but it said my disk was unreadable so I pulled it out and there was a 2 large cracks in the center. I take very good care of my games and I know I didn't do it. I am unable to play and I can't install it either. Recently ( a few days ago) I was playing Halo Reach and went to switch the games in my disk drive when I saw the same cracks so I quickly installed it. I have also noticed much smaller cracks but in the same places on my Fallout New Vegas game. Is there any way I can make sure my Xbox won't do this again,.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 35 Applies to:

There are 2 possible reasons why this is happening.

1.  Your xbox is standing on end rather than laying down flat.  Even though the xbox can stand on it's side it's recommended not to do so as it's possible to crack/burn the disc of the xbox is moved accidentally.

2.  When pulling your disc out of the case you are not pushing the center to take them out.  If you are pulling from the edge, this puts stress on the centre portion of the disc and can result in the cracking that you are finding.

Hope this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Definitely what Onyx said about taking the Disc out of it's case. I've cracked my L4D Disc, MW2 Disc, and Black Ops Disc because of those cases. Not sure why they ever started making them like that, but you have to be very careful popping those things out.

I have it far worse than most with my BO Disc, since I got the the Hardened Edition. The case on that Edition has a horrible center part, I make my Thumb raw trying to get the darn thing out!

Sorry this didn't help.

I third what has been said, my Modern Warfare 2 disc has cracks from people not pushing the center of the case on completely before yanking the disc out of the case.

Unknown: I found the hardened edition easier to deal with when I pull back on a corner of the case when I remove my disc. It IS a total pain though. Metal cases? Not as cool as you'd think.

Sorry this didn't help.

You really have to be careful when taking your game out of the case. I have broken MW2 because I wasn't careful enough. I would recommend installing the game to your hard drive so that It does not crack anymore. Also, the disk won't spin anymore which will help it from cracking even further.

Sorry this didn't help.

I would recommend laying your 360 flat if it's standing up at the moment. If you're playing while it's standing up, and it gets bumped or jiggled, it can cause the laser to burn the disc.

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't think it is your Xbox as much as it is probably the newer disc cases. The "eco-friendly" ones. My MW2 is cracked because of the case, but I have never heard of an Xbox cracking a game, only scratching them.

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems as though most people here have already come to this conclusion, And I will have to agree on it being the game case. I have this same problem and have come to the conclusion that it was me not properly taking the disc out of the case.  

Sorry this didn't help.

If you can, purchase a cheap CD folder. I always store my game discs in one and touch wood no cracks yet!.

It definitely stops any chance of the nipple in the box cracking the centre of your discs so its worth spending a few quid.

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't really know if this is relevant to this part of the forum, but my Halo: Reach disk looks like it's melted/has a giant water mark in the middle. I installed the game before it stopped working and it still dosen't work and i'm going to have to get a replacement, does anyone know why?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you clarify, it doesn't work to install the game, or you can't play it? Is the disc in the drive when you try to play it?

Sorry this didn't help.