My Xbox 360 won't read games published by Ubisoft. Help please?

As the title says, my 360 (older model, not the slim) refuses to read game discs that were published by Ubisoft. The issue just started on December 31, 2012. My Xbox can read and play all other games without any issues. However, when I insert a game published by Ubisoft, my Xbox attempts to read the disc, but fails, and the "play disc" option says "open tray" instead. 

I've tried this with Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed II, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Assassin's Creed III, Far Cry 3, and Rayman Origins. None of them work. And like I said, every other game works perfectly. All of these games were being read without any issues prior to December 31.

I've tried all of the troubleshooting suggestions on xbox.com (removing the hard drive, clearing the cache, etc.), but nothing seems to work. Obviously this is a very odd issue, as I've never heard of an Xbox being unable to read game discs from a certain publisher. Is there any sort of way to fix this issue? Or is my disc drive just failing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 32 Applies to:

Hey genetic31,

Welcome to the Xbox Support Forums.

This is a really strange issue and never ever seen it before. And I really don't know if the Xbox or the games are the guilty ones.

Would you mind to test at least 2 games on a friend or someone's his Console?

On that way we can figure out who's the guilty one. You said you have tried already all troubleshooting steps, so we can move them away unfortunely.

Hope to hear from you soon with a result.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Rick N.,
DummyArbiter010

borntolearn.mslearn.net
microsoft.com/learning

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried playing Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed III on my brother's console, and it reads the discs perfectly. I think I'm definitely looking at a disc drive issue here.

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually, I just remembered that Assassin's Creed III has a second disc (for multiplayer). I just tried this disc and my Xbox reads it successfully. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that I've never played AC3's second disc before. Regardless, I'm really not sure what to think of the situation.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you agreed to all of Ubisofts terms of service agreements?

You might want to try making a Uplay account and linking it to your XBL account. That might work but I can't guarentee it.

It could be your profile. Move it to your friends console and try to play your game then. If it can't on the different console even hen your friend can, it has to be a profile error (try above suggestion).

If it does work on the console on your profile, you may have a hardware problem and may need to get it checked by MS.

Sorry this didn't help.