my profile locks up gears of war3

For whatever reason i cannot play gears of war3 on my current profile, it locks up and i have to hit the power button.

If i use any other gamertag the game works perfectly fine. I have tryed virtually everything, the end result is, i have formated my xbox hard drive, recovered my gametag, and attempted to play the gears3 disc with nothing other than my gametag loaded on the hard drive and still it will not work. As soon as i load a diffrent gametag it works fine, any insight would be helpful. as the epic games forum is mute and actually squelching people for mentioning this topic.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Can you try removing your current storage device, recovering your profile to a different one (HDD or USB) and try playing that way? Do not move your save file over yet.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey everyone, I'm posting this on a few different threads in an effort to be helpful.

I am experiencing a very similar problem.  Initially, the game would freeze while trying to load a multiplayer game (horde, beast, and campaign all behaved the same).  And by freeze I mean the console locked up solid: no response from any button, including the Guide button.  I tried multiple discs, multiple XBoxes, multiple controllers, re-downloaded my profile from XBox live, clearing the cache, even deleting my save data from the memory unit.  I also tried moving the profile from a USB Memory Stick to and from the hard drive, all with the same result.

I spoke on the phone with several guys from the XBox Support team, and one of them was able to offer a suggestion that almost worked for me, and may help someone else.

1. Start from the Dashboard and sign out of all accounts

2. Still with no account signed in, start Gears of War 3 and begin a new campaign

3. While the game is loading (before the opening cinematic), quickly sign in to the profile experiencing the freeze

4. The game will go back to the main menu because the number of people signed in has changed

As I said, this almost worked for me.  The game stopped freezing while trying to load game types, but now it freezes during gameplay, and never in the same place twice.  Most often it happens at the end of a wave of beast or horde mode, but I can not find any consitency.  Also, now my ammo counter is gone and when I shoot things (like a wall or an enemy) a series of numbers scrolls up my screen from bottom to top, and even affects my friends screen during split-screen play.  This looks like debug information used by the developers, but I can not be sure of that.  Any other thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to clarify, you did not move your save file, correct? And you recovered your profile to a different storage device, you didn't take your own storage device with you?

Sorry this didn't help.

that allowed me to load campain however i am still not able to play online competitively.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I believe I have found a better solution, thanks to Croner X.  I tried his solution, and was able to play Horde for over an hour before my room-mate and I got tired of trying to kill Lambent Zerkers in the first Boss Wave.  I will have to try it again to make sure it was not a one-time fix, but I hope it helps the rest of you.

Croner X's solution:

forums.xbox.com/.../102749.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried recovering your profile? support.xbox.com/.../gamer-profile

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry guys, bad link.  Here is the short version of Croner X's suggestion:

"Be Aware:  This will reset your collectibles and some counters for achievements. This WON'T wipe progress bars to medals, ribbons or rank.
I hate it, but I'd rather be able to play the game, wouldn't you?

Here's what to do:

1. Move your affected profile onto an external device  (USB thumb drive, etc), along with your saves
2. Clear your system cache
3. Load up Gears of War 3 while signed into your affected profile, then as soon as you see the EPIC logo, unplug the USB drive (You will get a message asking you to plug it back in, IGNORE THIS!)
4. Hit start, and check your stats, you should have lost all your collectibles. This is a sign to show it has worked.
5. Plug your USB drive back in and try loading up a game of anything, it should no longer freeze!"

Full post by Croner x: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/8/t/102749.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

I tryed recovering my gamertag at a friends house and playing at his house and i had the same problem there. It appears to be my gamertag exclusively.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried loading the game while logged out of your profile then logging into it? There was an issue with some people on an arcade game doing this and loading it while logged out solved it.

Sorry this didn't help.