My ideal Halo game would have...

-No bloom. Instead, precision weapons will have a bigger crossairs (less autoaim at long range) and slower ROF

-No fuel rod gun on the banshee

-Grenades that functioned like they did in Halo 2 and 3 (as in, no mini-nuke that kills you if you have only 3/4 shields)

-vehicles functioned like they did in Halo 2 and 3. After getting shot up, vehicle damage would start to impact driver/passenger health. The only way the vehicle would blow up is if driver/passenger health reaches 0 (or weak spot is hit like rear of wraith or side of ghost on Halo 2)

-vehicle boarding functions like Halo 2. There is no way to destroy a vehicle by boarding it. You can either beat the driver up (who has a chance of getting out and fighting back), or you can toss a grenade and kill him instantly, or you can toss a grenade on the back of the vehicle and kill him

-sniper rifles can't destroy vehicles (unless the driver is sniped or weak spot is hit)

-Plasma thrower has beta power (as in, it actually locks on and can kill people)

-Rockets have lock on homing exactly like in Halo 2

-Spartan Laser is removed from vehicle heavy maps since vehicles and other anti-vehicle weapons are more balanced

-2x scope on the AR in order to improve it's accuracy over medium range

-Duel wieldable weapons are back. In most gametypes, players will start with a non dual wieldable weapon and a dual wieldable weapon so that you don't have to waste time picking up two weapons at a time like in Halo 3.

-Plasma repeater is either stronger or more accurate (give it a 2x scope as well)

-melee has headshot functionality. Melee kills unshielded opponent in one hit but in order to knock out shields in one hit, you have to aim for the head, otherwise, it takes two body hits to knock out shields (this will create greater skill gap in close quarters)

-Armor lock is changed so that it can shield you for 2 seconds at a time, 3 times in a row until recharging. However, there is a 3 second cooldown between uses, melee still does full damage against user, and whenever user comes out of armor lock, there is a slight blowback to any surrounding enemies though no damage is incurred on them. This will allow armor lock to function as a shield from explosions of all sorts without giving the user an extra 5 seconds of life, frosting, or advantage in melee battle.

-Roll distance and speed for Spartans is reduced but 3 rolls are given before recharge instead of two.

-Plasma rifle will have an increase in projectile speed, decrease in power, and cause enemies to move slower (function like Halo CE PR only without pinpoint accuracy

-Spiker will fire half as fast but projectiles do much more damage and actuall knock a person back each time they are hit

-Decoy ALWAYS shows up as red on enemy radar

-Getting shot will prevent you from sprinting for 2 seconds from when the last bullet hits (this will knock back on sword/hammer users and people who run though it will still be possible to get away)

-In order to balance the decrease in rolling and sprint for sword users, sword blocking is NON-EXISTANT except for when two people with swords fight

-More interactable elements on the maps like in Halo 2 and 3

-More campaign elements in Invasion (covenant wave spawns in dropships on random locations on the map, vice versa with spartans in pelicans)

-Weapon editor so that if game is unbalanced, the community can tweak anything and everything to their liking

-More friendly and smart AI in campaign missions (balanced by more difficult enemies)

Most of these changes pretty much refer Reach back to Halo 1, 2, and 3. This is because most of the things Reach changed is for the worse. Instead of fixing what isn't broken for sequels, add more that wasnt there.

Every feature that I had taken out should be kept in certain playlists. For example, how Reach is now would be kept in playlists called Casual Slayer and Casual Skirmish.

How I want Reach to be would be put into playlists like Hardcore Slayer or Hardcore Big Team Battle. Then a mix of what the community votes for would be in other playlists.

I enjoyed Halo 2 and 3 for their balance in weapons, vehicles, gametypes, and maps. Reach seems to have catered to the noob player and decreased the skillgap by adding bloom, beefing grenades, and practically giving vehicles a timer until they explode. If that is what the majority of the community wants, then fine. But please stay loyal to your older fanbase and give us some more hardcore and balanced settings that cater more to competitive players. Everything I listed is meant to be balance the game and remove 90% of the luck factor that exists in Reach now.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You have no idea how glad I am you are not a game developer.

I'm guessing you are one of the ones who enjoys the ultra-casual factor of this game

I found that list quite interesting and will probably come back to further explain, but I'm about to be busy.

I must say first off that removing the Laser HAS to be accompanied by making vehicles weaker and putting a whole lot more anti-vehicle weapons on the map. I don't think it's as imbalanced as it seems.

Also, I don't like it when something one player does affects me too much. The Concussion Rifle is a good example: I don't want to be made immobile while you keep shooting me. For the Spiker and Plasma Rifle to do that too would be awkward.

(I love the Plasma Rifle by the way, sexy gun).

Bloom SHOULD be in the game, it's just the "random" part that should be tweaked. The only complaint people have with it is that spammers can beat a pacer, which shouldn't happen 99% of the time, yet it happens quite often.

~

Taking the FRG off of the banshee makes it near useless. It's basically just a flying whale shooting really ineffective plasma out of its nose. There are more ways to balance something other than removing a key aspect of it.

~

Sniper Rifles in Reach are designed to have a specific feature which is to be anti-vehicular weapons. And why would they make one weapon incapable of destroying vehicles? That causes imbalance right there. For that to work, you need to make it so NO standard weapons can destroy vehicles as well.

~

There's no such weapon as a plasma thrower. Do you mean the Plasma Launcher? That is a weapon which takes competence to use. You need to know how to time it correctly. If you can do that, it's a great weapon. It's perfectly fine the way it is.

~

Spartan Lasers are designed as anti-vehicle weapons. So why would you take them out of a vehicle heavy map? So the foot troops don't have a fighting chance?

~

The AR does not and never has needed a 2x scope. It's intended as a close range weapon more than a medium-long range.

~

That's probably the worst AL tweak I've ever heard. To balance AL, it needs a time decrease, a frosting distance decrease, and a tweak that fixes the second of invincibility AFTER coming out of AL. It also should disable shield regeneration while activated. That's all it needs to make it more balanced.

~

Evade does NOT need to be changed in the least.

~

The Spiker isn't even used enough in any Halo game to present a balance issue, why did you include that?

~

A weapon editor would probably cause the most imbalance possible. People would find ways to create a gun empowered by God, and nobody would use any other combination (like Call of Duty). There's no room in Halo for a feature like that. We all start with the same weapons, and whoever finds the better ones first has the advantage.

~

I have to agree with BADMAGIK here. I'm glad you aren't working on Halo. It looks like you put some of these tweaks in just for the sake of complaining about each and every aspect of the multiplayer aspect of the game.

[quote user="Noble 29"]

[quote]Bloom SHOULD be in the game, it's just the "random" part that should be tweaked. The only complaint people have with it is that spammers can beat a pacer, which shouldn't happen 99% of the time, yet it happens quite often.[/quote]If bloom could be tweaked so that the random factor is completely out, I'd be fine with that. But the thing I don't like about bloom on the DMR is that it gives the gun too much range. I've been playing BTB lately and other than the sniper rifle, it has the most range of any weapon in the entire series. I can effectively 5 shot somebody all the way across hemmorage. It shouldn't be so easy to do that.

~

[quote]Taking the FRG off of the banshee makes it near useless. It's basically just a flying whale shooting really ineffective plasma out of its nose. There are more ways to balance something other than removing a key aspect of it.[/quote]Do you even play BTB? The fuel rod on the banshee is the most incredible overpowered weapon in the whole game. The killing blast radius is huge and after you fire, you just do a little backflip again and you can fire on another target nearby. I say remove fuel rod or make it weaker like in Halo 3. This, combined with removing "vehicle health" would be way more balanced than it is now.

~

[quote]Sniper Rifles in Reach are designed to have a specific feature which is to be anti-vehicular weapons. And why would they make one weapon incapable of destroying vehicles? That causes imbalance right there. For that to work, you need to make it so NO standard weapons can destroy vehicles as well. [/quote]Later in my list, I make it so that NO standard weapon can destroy vehicles (easily). The sniper rifle has never been able to blow up tanks in the first 4 Halo games. I don't know why it can now. It's a broken game mechanic.

~

[quote]There's no such weapon as a plasma thrower. Do you mean the Plasma Launcher? That is a weapon which takes competence to use. You need to know how to time it correctly. If you can do that, it's a great weapon. It's perfectly fine the way it is.[/quote]I meant the plasma launcher. It sucks against infantry because all you have to do is strafe to avoid it. I'm not saying I haven't gone on killing sprees with it (attacking unaware oppenents) but I would rather it be a ridiculas power weapon similar to the rocket launcher. It was like that in the beta and it was a lot better.

~

[quote]Spartan Lasers are designed as anti-vehicle weapons. So why would you take them out of a vehicle heavy map? So the foot troops don't have a fighting chance?[/quote]By removing lock on rockets and adding the Spartan Laser, you have effectively removed 90% of skill from taking out vehicles. The laser is just point and shoot. It's about as easiest way to take out vehicles. I don't know if it is to serve as a crutch for noobs but I like how you actually had to AIM the rockets in Halo 2 and fire at the precise time and angle in order to take out enemy vehicles. This also allowed the vehicles to escape with a combination of skill and luck.

~

[quote]The AR does not and never has needed a 2x scope. It's intended as a close range weapon more than a medium-long range.[/quote]Yeah, and it's no suprise that it hasn't remained the default starting weapon of Halo 3 and Reach. Now it is the BR and DMR. I think the AR needs to be a competent weapon, not some weak little rifle that I would trade ANY gun in the game for.

~

[quote]That's probably the worst AL tweak I've ever heard. To balance AL, it needs a time decrease, a frosting distance decrease, and a tweak that fixes the second of invincibility AFTER coming out of AL. It also should disable shield regeneration while activated. That's all it needs to make it more balanced.[/quote]That is probably the worst AL tweak I have ever heard. AL should solely be used for getting out of inescable explosions. Giving a dying player an extra 5 seconds to live just hurts the flow of gameplay.

~

[quote]Evade does NOT need to be changed in the least.[/quote]I beg to differ,

~

[[quote]The Spiker isn't even used enough in any Halo game to present a balance issue, why did you include that?[/quote]I beg to differ again. It was a somewhat reliable weapon in Halo 3 (would have been more if it had dual starts) but it is useless in this game. I don't know why you support any weapons being underpowered.

~

[quote]A weapon editor would probably cause the most imbalance possible. People would find ways to create a gun empowered by God, and nobody would use any other combination (like Call of Duty). There's no room in Halo for a feature like that. We all start with the same weapons, and whoever finds the better ones first has the advantage.[/quote]Weapon editor would cause imbalance? HOW? It would allow people to play the game the way they want to play it and for a consenses to be reached on how weapons should be changed from Bungie's setup. If people want to go back to the Halo 3 Ace of Trades BR, let em. They payed $60 for the game, they deserve that kind of quality. For me, I would go for the weapon balance where every weapon and vehicle is different but balanced in their respective nitches, AND NO ROOM FOR LUCK.

~

[quote]I have to agree with BADMAGIK here. I'm glad you aren't working on Halo. It looks like you put some of these tweaks in just for the sake of complaining about each and every aspect of the multiplayer aspect of the game.[/quote]The kind of crowd you belong to is what has ruined Halo for me. Halo used to be competitive in a way that even though it catered to hardcore players, casuals could still have a blast due to the proper ranking system. But now, it seems that casuals are the $$$ crowd and this removes developers' incentive to make the game balanced and fair since casuals won't care if the game is fundamentally broken or not.

[/quote]

[quote user="x sNe x JeNo"]The kind of crowd you belong to is what has ruined Halo for me. Halo used to be competitive in a way that even though it catered to hardcore players, casuals could still have a blast due to the proper ranking system. But now, it seems that casuals are the $$ crowd and this removes developers' incentive to make the game balanced and fair since casuals won't care if the game is fundamentally broken or not.[/quote]

Boy I 100% agree there.   Me and my friends bailed in 2007.   I knew the series was over when I read Frankie post in 2004 that they were having Mom's test Halo2.   Fortunately, they didn't figure out the BR and Sniper Rifle were fun before removing their functionality in Halo3.  

I think they believe the number of weapons in the game is what makes the game great, when actually it's how the gameplay is with the weapons.   BTW I hate most of the weapons in Halo especially plasma times.   I hate running to weapons as well.   I should never feel like I have to run around looking for a weapon.  IMHO

So what we have here is an ex-Halo player who swapped to CoD and now wants the series to follow.

Great idea dude.

[quote user="MAKO MARAUDER"]

[quote user="x sNe x JeNo"]The kind of crowd you belong to is what has ruined Halo for me. Halo used to be competitive in a way that even though it catered to hardcore players, casuals could still have a blast due to the proper ranking system. But now, it seems that casuals are the $ crowd and this removes developers' incentive to make the game balanced and fair since casuals won't care if the game is fundamentally broken or not.[/quote]

Boy I 100% agree there.   Me and my friends bailed in 2007.   I knew the series was over when I read Frankie post in 2004 that they were having Mom's test Halo2.   Fortunately, they didn't figure out the BR and Sniper Rifle were fun before removing their functionality in Halo3.  

I think they believe the number of weapons in the game is what makes the game great, when actually it's how the gameplay is with the weapons.   BTW I hate most of the weapons in Halo especially plasma times.   I hate running to weapons as well.   I should never feel like I have to run around looking for a weapon.  IMHO

[/quote]We are both disappointed but for different reasons. I don't want Halo to turn into Call of Duty. I want Halo to to go back to its roots in terms of balance. I'm against the Halo 3 crowd for having only 5 useable weapons in the game and I'm against the Halo Reach crowd for making Halo so accessible for noobs. I remember in Halo 2, if you were even slightly better than the other team, you could slaughter them all with streak after streak because the game favored skill. In Reach, it's like your life is on a timer and you will eventually die just because somebody on the other team will get lucky with DMR spam, panic grenade, or your vehicle health runs out.

Bungie's philisophy used to be that 2 people would will get into a firefight and the better man will ALWAYS leave. That hasn't been with Reach since there are so many things to help give less skilled players a chance at killing more skilled players.

I don't mind getting killed when I scre w up. In Halo 2 or 3, sometimes my aim would be off in a battle with a less skilled player. I can understand losing in situations like that and losing to people that are just better than me. But for me to be get killed at all for any reason other than lack of skill (often) is what makes this game so unenjoyable for me at times. The only thing I really like is Big Team Battle because it is the closest to having Halo 2 as I can get (none of my friends play 3 anymore and I never liked 3 that much either).

[quote user="ChainSmokingBob"]

So what we have here is an ex-Halo player who swapped to CoD and now wants the series to follow.

Great idea dude.

[/quote]

Not at all.  It is the Halo series that went another way.  I certainly wouldn't want Halo to go the way of COD.   COD is COD.  What they did was try and make Halo more accessible, but in the end it's just a blah experience.   I mean you can go back and read Frankie's weekly post, they were hiring non-gamer Moms to come in and test their games, why?  To make them more accessible, but at the end of the day they have basically ruined to me with what started with CE and moved on with Halo 2.  

If it's fun to play, Frankie will call it an abuse and remove the item from the game.  

The Halo games are quality products, what I mean is they are very solid and have all the features you could want, but at the end of the day Frankie has removed the soul of the what started with CE/Halo2, this was done on purpose.  To me what made CE/Halo2 good was simplicity and effective mid/long-range weapons plus good map design.