My First Impressions

I bought The Witcher 2 not knowing anything about the previous game or the books that the games are based on. I picked it up because I heard it was different than most RPGs in the sense that the choices you make aren't simplified good/evil ones like in Fable. This really appealed to me. Other than that, I didn't really know anything about the game other than it was semi-open world in the vein of Dragon Age and it was supposed to be fairly lengthy.

I've only completed the tutorial segment at the very beginning of the game, but I'm already completely blown away. The Witcher 2 is something special.

The graphics are pretty damn good in The Witcher 2. Not the best on the console, but definitely in the top 10 for best looking RPG. The lighting effects are especially impressive and the textures don't looked as washed out as in most RPGs. The sound design is also excellent. However, none of these things are the most significant The Witcher 2 has to offer.

Unlike most games that are released now, The Witcher 2 has gameplay mechanics that actually expect you to use them for an extended period of time before you're able to master them. It also has a story and lore that requires you to really invest time and interest into before you're able to fully understand the world around you. IMO, these are things that EVERY RPG should have and something the industry has turned away from simply to increase their profits by increasing the audience. It's very much obvious that CD Projekt RED makes the games that they want to make and don't bow to industry or publisher pressure.

Even though The Witcher takes inspiration from other fantasy works, it definitely retains a look and feel that's all its own. As I said, I'm still at the very beginning of the game. But I can already tell The Witcher 2 is going to be an amazing game.

If you're a fan of older RPGs that actually required you, the player, to invest time and interest into the game world, then The Witcher 2 is a MUST BUY.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

thanks for the info.....can't wait to pick up my preorder here in alittle bit

Thanks for the quick review.   I also know nothing about this game but have heard a lot of positive feedback.  My wife rented it for me and installed both disks. So I cant wait to play this when I get home tonight.  If its really good then I will probably buy it over the weekend.

WOW, that's an engaging report! Now I am getting twitchy for this work day to end, drive home, get it on the drive and check it out. Thanks for the insights!

I'll be getting mine in alittle bit & if I'm lucky will install then....off to work I go damn it! lol.....but once I get home OH YEAH!

Oh yeah quick question here....there are only 3 chapters?? So I take it they are pretty long?

[quote user="Drater77"]

Oh yeah quick question here....there are only 3 chapters?? So I take it they are pretty long?

[/quote]

I've heard an average playthrough is about 40 hours.

[quote user="MSF Big Boss"]

[quote user="Drater77"]

[/quote]

I've heard an average playthrough is about 40 hours.

[/quote] Oh ok,thats great then...thanks

This thread makes me want to play this game so much..

But it is still installing on my Xbox...

Also I hate starting another game when I have not finished playing the other I am on (Two Worlds 2) but I may have to bend that rule and start up this game.

Thanks OP

I haven't played the game yet (just picked it up during my lunch break), but I'm already impressed that it comes with a NINETY PAGE "quest handbook"! (I got the "Enhanced Edition", which seems like that's the "normal" edition, since it's retailing for $50-$60 at most places)

This, when the norm seems to be for studios to throw it in a pdf on the disk or give us a link to look it up online.  Bravo to the developers!