My Decisions in ME1 & M2 (SPOILERS)

SPOILERS!!!

Does anyone else feel like the decisions they made in ME1 & ME2 were pretty meaningless? I mean, choose Anderson to lead the Council & no matter what, Udina gets it. Kill the Rachni Queen on Noveria & the Reapers just make new ones. Reprogram the Geth on Legion's loyalty mission & they go right back to working for the Reapers. Destory the Collector base & the Illusive Man still recovers Reaper tech. And the list goes on. Sure, they are somewhat explained away in the story, but I just feel completely duped. Part of what made ME so amazing & unique, to me at least, was the ability to carve your own path across 3 different games, but now I just feel like most of my decisions were rendered moot by the third game.

ME3 isn't a bad game, but it is the worst of the 3 and I am extremely disappointed with it.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 10 Applies to:

Yessir. The concept of player choice having an impact on the game pretty much went right out the window. It's still a fun game to me, but mainly because I still find the characters to be the most compelling in a video game so far and the Mass Effect universe is still wonderful.

|

However, now that I know how it all ends, I don't think I'll be playing it again. 

The choices you made in the last two games do actually affect ME3 more than most people realise, as well as the ending. The choices you made can alter the number of War Assets you get by a large amount in ME3, and thereby also alter the ending that you can get.

------------------

It's a shame they don't have more of a gameplay impact, but realistically speaking it would have been quite hard for Bioware to do much else considering the choices you could make.

[quote user="xxW0LFxx TFD"]

The choices you made in the last two games do actually affect ME3 more than most people realise, as well as the ending. The choices you made can alter the number of War Assets you get by a large amount in ME3, and thereby also alter the ending that you can get.

------------------

It's a shame they don't have more of a gameplay impact, but realistically speaking it would have been quite hard for Bioware to do much else considering the choices you could make.

[/quote]

Hard for them? They shouldn't've billed it that way if it was too hard. War Assets are easy as hell to get in this game regardless of what you chose in the 1st two games & given that just simply playing MP buffs your readiness, there's no change.  I've been playing ME since the day the 1st game launched; I've played 1 & 2 countless times; I've played 3 twice; as far as I can tell, not 1 single decision I made had any affect whatsoever on the outcome of the game other than what squadmates lived or died.

[quote user="ColonelBoston"]

------------------

[/quote]

Hard for them? They shouldn't've billed it that way if it was too hard. War Assets are easy as hell to get in this game regardless of what you chose in the 1st two games & given that just simply playing MP buffs your readiness, there's no change.  I've been playing ME since the day the 1st game launched; I've played 1 & 2 countless times; I've played 3 twice; as far as I can tell, not 1 single decision I made had any affect whatsoever on the outcome of the game other than what squadmates lived or died.

[/quote]
As I said, they do make a difference, just not an absolutely massive one. Read through your War Assets and you'll note them all. Of course it is a shame that they don't make a bigger impact, and that most outcomes are the same regardless of what you did earlier.

------------

As for what Bioware said at the beginning of the series, I ain't holding that against them. It's easy to get hopeful about the series your making and have big plans for it. Just because they thought they could do it over seven years ago means that they actually could. It was the suicide mission, which Bioware admits was a bit of a mistake, that had the biggest impact on what they could do in ME3 with the characters. Since there was a possibility of almost every damn character being dead, that severly limited what they could do with the storylines. 

About the only thing that's ticked me off so far are the left handed salutes....who was the idiot that programmed those?...

Ending kinda reminded me of Deus Ex with a little Fallout 3 thrown in, only on a larger scale. That said, I'm still trying to get 'the best' ending which requires 4000 EMS and the closest I've gotten was 3550...I don't do MP so RR stays at 50%.

It's easy to get hopeful about the series your making and have big plans for it. 

[/quote]

*cough*Peter Molyneux*cough*

...to explain that joke:
Peter Molyneux  is famous for having some of the best ideas about a game design and failing to deliver, so corners end up getting cut and what rolls into production (while still good in it's own right) is far short of the mark set.