My account got hacked.

Hey, My account on XBL got hacked and im wondering if the guy that hacked it can use my creditcard and buy microsoftpoints and live and stuff like that?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Having a strong password is always a good idea, but it's only part of good security protection.  There are as I've stated before many ways to lose access to an account. Examples of which may include:

Giving your LIVE ID out to someone you don't know, or even someone you do.  NEVER give your LIVE ID to anyone!
Falling for a Phishing scam usually sent via an email. http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/online-privacy/phishing-symptoms.aspx
Social engineering
Computer virus or key logger on your computer
Logging in with your Windows ID on an unsecured computer, or another computer that is not yours and failing to log out.
Falling for scams that promise to provide free points.
Signing up to suspect external sites using the same email address and password you use Windows LIVE/Xbox LIVE.

Don't sign up for other gaming forums with your Windows LIVE ID email and password combination, use a different one!  Many forums don't use online security, if the site was compromised the hackers will go to Xbox.com or hotmail.com and try to log in with the details they stole from that site.

Another possibility is the one I'm sure you're thinking of and that would be either EA or Microsoft have actually already been hacked, and when I mean 'hacked' I mean in the traditional sense of a hack.  I'm pretty sure you're thinking that 'Evil corrupt MS' or Evil corrupt EA are somehow keeping such security breach a secret,  I seriously doubt this is the case.  After the PR disaster that Sony suffered, all the major online services should now how have updated their security.  Everyone's account details should now be in encrypted form.

Encryption technology makes it much harder for traditional hackers to discern any useful information from their nefarious practices. It would take so long to break in to the data of just one account that the whole thing becomes counter productive.  Why hack a whole system, when it's far easier to phish for it instead?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes they could if you have a debit/credit card on there.  I suggest you contact support ASAP so that they can investigate and put your stolen account into lock down. 

Just a FYI to you:  There are many ways to lose access to an account, either by handing your Live ID to a third party, being phished or socially engineered but you CAN NOT be hacked.

Sorry this didn't help.

So if you can not be hacked at all you must be saying there is a way for people to guess your passwords cause I was hac....eh hmm......the victim of unauthorized use (hacked) and have never given my password or inputted my password anywhere other than the sign in page here. There are also many other entries to forums with similar stories...let me guess FIFA 12 shows up as last game played 2 or 3 achievements locked then DLC purchased with existing MS points or CC abuse to buy more MS points???? Look around, there are alot of us on here.

Sorry this didn't help.

some *** bought 4000 points on my account today, a silver to gold upgrade and some **** games, so updated my passwords and now will wait my 2 hours until xbox support is open.

Sorry this didn't help.

hmmm i dont agree my password is strong enough and i didn't tell anyone what it was, but it still got hacked in the last couple of days.

Sorry this didn't help.

If someone can guess your password, then it's clearly not strong enough.  My password is so strong I forget what it is (the perfect kind of password).  As I have already stated, there are many ways to lose access to an account, none of which include 'hacking'.

Sorry this didn't help.