MW3 disc error all of a sudden?

I've been using my MW3 disc with no probs since it was released, however, the past couple of weeks when playing online I keep getting a random "disc is unreadable error". never happened before. the disc visibly has no marks on it at all. I've never installed any games to my hard drive. so tried today, installed the game to the harddrive went to play online again and it still happens and seems to be happening more frequently in the past couple of days, could only play 1 match online today before that same error came up. any ideas? xbox 360 elite console 250G manufact. 2009. help. I really want to play those new maps online :)

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Ok firstly you really should install games to your HDD, this will minimise wear and tear on your DVD drive. And this may well be a contributing factor to what is now happening to your 360.

Have you tried any other games and do they exhibit the same "disc is unreadable error" message

Have you tried asking an ambassador for help? Or Xbox.com support? Or perhaps the support forums? If you're not sure of what to do next, I highly recommend any of those options...

If the disk is installed, you'll never run into this problem after the disk stops spinning. It happens upon startup and when you choose either Campaign, Multiplayer or Spec Ops. If you choose Multiplayer and get into a game and the disk stops spinning, you should be good to go.

Also, if it keeps happening, you can open and close the tray... it gives it another chance. Sometimes it takes longer than usual but you should be good to go if you just keep trying.

Thanks all for the replies!  So I should be more specific. It happens specifically when I'm doing multiplayer online. The match will load up, countdown happens, match starts- I start running and the error message pops up about the disc being unreadable, need to clean etc., and I get booted right back to the dashboard

Am going to try a disc cleaner this afternoon and will try COD-BO and MW2 online to see if the same problem continues.

did the disc cleaner. got thorugh one online match, when the second match started, same thing as above. will try Black Ops ltr today and see what happens :(

It might be damaged & not necessarily be visible. Try looking at it while reflecting light off it; you'd be surprised what that could reveal that you didn't see before. If nothing seems to work, you could take it to your local retail game store & have them "shave" off the top layer. It'll cost a few bucks, but this will fix any kind of scratch problems except for those that are extremely severe.

thanks again for your reply, but as I stated below, I've checked the disc in the light and there is not a mark or scratch on it, not even a smudge-gave it a clean anyway with a soft cloth, but there is nothing visible to the eye even with light reflecting on it-appreciate the suggestion :)

"Thanks all for the replies!  So I should be more specific. It happens specifically when I'm doing multiplayer online. The match will load up, countdown happens, match starts- I start running and the error message pops up".

When you get this error, is the disk currently spinning and making lots of noise? I'm curious. If it is, then I suspect that's the problem and would suggest waiting in the Matchmaking area until it stops spinning. If it's not, I would get a friend's copy, delete your installation (don't do this unless you have another copy to reinstall off) and reinstall it using the extra copy.

Darn, I'm not paying enough attention. There was an error message? I can work with that! 2 questions:

1) What was the error message word for word?

2) Did it have an error code; if so, what was it?

3rd question: What kind of console are you using?

a) the original Xbox 360 console (large & white), or

b) the Xbox 360 S console (smaller & black).