MW2 disc unreadable but nothing wrong with disc

My Xbox clearly has issues with a perfectly fine Call of Duty: MW2 disc, while others play fine. it's a false positive and i would like a way to bypass this lie of an alert. i popped in the disc, it updated and signed me back in, i get into the game long enough to get the options set, no artifacting or any glitching, and all of a sudden this error pops up (and closes the game) saying 'disc unreadable.' it's completely random and trying to install the game produces the same alert despite there being no signs of read issues (no odd clicks, or spinup/spindown associated with CD-ROM issues reading a disc and i am an IT tech) and there are no signs of glitching or freezing before the alert appears. it's unplayable at this point as it won't let me get past the initial game setup (where it adjusts the horizontal and vertical margins) i am convinced my Xbox doesn't know what it is talking about. the game is new, and there are no scratches or blurs on the disc at all. conversely, my Black Ops disc is full of scratches and plays fine. any way to bypass this alert and continue  playing?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 222 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You can most likely bypass it by installing it to the your console. If it still won't work properly you'll need to factory reset it or send it in for repair.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

thanks for the suggestion but installing it gets the same error. i am sure nothing is wrong with the disc and this alert is like all the 'internet explorer has encountered a problem' errors i subsequently turned off via Win 7 options. perhaps there is a hidden option to disable disc checking or something in the Xbox Dashboard? because i can assure you no other game has this issue and the disc is fine! i mean i am using it without freeze or lag and it just out of nowhere pops up.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Deerlover,

Have a go at the troubleshooting steps in this thread HERE

Let us know if you continue to have the problem so that we may troubleshoot further.

Sorry this didn't help.

i read that and did those steps prior to posting--even the hard drive switch (figured since my other was full it could have caused the error) and even cleaned the disc. i assure you nothing is wrong with the disc. the Xbox must have some odd disk check going on at the start of load that assumes there is a problem when there isn't one, thus throwing a false positive and ending the game without prior issues (no glitching, freezing, or issues related to disc read or audible sources of problems coming from the drive itself) other games continue to play that tells me the Xbox is not at fault. it's clearly a malfunction in the dashboard. now is there some means of disabling this disk check for the session of the game or permenantly? i do believe my Xbox is throwing a false positive only with this game. before i shell out the cash for a replacement game i would like to know what is going on. i find it hard to believe that the other games play, despite the many scratches, while this particular one doesn't, even when the disc appears flawless.

Sorry this didn't help.

Take a look through the files for MW2 on your storage device for any files that are corrupt.  They will show up with a yellow ! 

Just so we make sure and cover all of our bases have you tried to clear your System Cache as well.  If needed the steps can be found in the link from my previous post.  As you said the last thing you want to do is go and get a new disc if you don't have to.

I would also suggest if you have a friend with a 360 that you could attempt to use that disc on their console to see if you have the same results.

Sorry this didn't help.

clearing the cache just made me download the same update again, but solved none of the issues with this dashboard error. since there are no files on the device as of yet there cannot  be any such symbols. the game won't even get past the initial setup for the TV screen and brightness before this error pops up--cannot even access the menu. before it does show up nothing is acting up, convincing me the Xbox is assuming an error exists when there isn't one. i should add (but there is no edit so sorry about that) that the disc is idle, as in not even being accessed during the game screen setup, so how can there even be a read error when no read is being done?

Sorry this didn't help.

also, i tried this on my 360-S in the other room--no success. again, i see nothing wrong just before the error appears, the menu is working, the setup screen is responsive, but of course the dashboard blocks access by showing this alert and subsequently ending the game even though there is no problem--and it happens a few seconds after the disc drive spins down (because nothing is happening that requires the disc to be read)

Sorry this didn't help.

The only other thing I can suggest would be to try using the game with a different profile to see if the same error appears.  If it does then it would seem with all the steps you have taken that it might be a bad disc.

Did you just purchase this game?  If so I would try and exchange it for another copy.  If that isn't possible you might just have to buy another copy.  Sorry for the bad news. 

Sorry this didn't help.

i bought it but never played it because i was currently playing Black Ops and got stuck playing it and this would have been my first attempt at playing MW2. i doubt it's a bad disc as nothing happens that can be attributed with a bad disc (no freezing or odd sounds from the drive--the disc isn't even spinning  when the error appears)  what i think is happening and maybe someone more versed in the Xbox software can comfirm this, but whatever is throwing the alert is mistaken. there is no such error but something tells the Dashboard there is--and i believe there is a way to disable it and continue even if it involves some risk to the system. all i need are steps to do that.

Sorry this didn't help.

All signs are leading to a bad disc if all other discs are working correctly for you. All because the game loads doesn't mean that the disc is perfectly fine. There's no way to "disable" any sort of alerts, if the XBOX 360 is having a problem reading some sort of file it needs to display the next set of functions from the game on the screen and it can't it will throw up a disc read error which is the correct error. The easiest thing you can do to test this is to get the game copy replaced or borrow a friends and test their copy of the game.

You've already tried to test the same game in another console so clearly it's not the console that's causing the problem, it's the game disc. You can either get the disc replaced by contacting Activision by following the directions here (before you can actually setup the disc exchange you need to add the game to your Activision account by following the directions here). 

Or, go to a store or a friend and try their copy of the game out in your console. This is a guaranteed problem with the disc and not your console, there is no way to stop this message from appearing on the screen as the XBOX 360 cannot read the files it needs to proceed with the game.  Not all discs are created the same, they are mass produced and even if it's not showing signs of it being scratched or damaged in any way that doesn't mean that the disc has no possibility of being a bad burn which happens from time to time.

Sorry this didn't help.