Must Read Preview of Battlefield 3, discusses the Beta.

Here is an article from Joystiq where the journalist discusses the most recent version of the game, how awesome it is, and how the beta really was a flaw and failure for EA and DICE since most gamers won't properly accept the fact it was a beta.

Please read:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/10/the-beta-and-battlefield-3/

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I read a very similar article on Kotaku that actually interviewed the employees from DICE.

-

The only issue I have is they keep falling back on the beta excuse... when every other major developer who uses public beta's (Including EA and DICE themselves) it works nearly identical and is almost literally the same game, except some polishing.

-

I honestly think DICE is just working way too hard to push this game out. Other games can put out fully functional games that could pass as the retail copy over 5 months before release, and here we have DICE struggling to get this thing out a month before release that is the most basic definition of "functional" I've ever seen.

-

I don't think the author and DICE themselves are really understanding what a beta is (Well DICE obviously does, but they can't exactly say they flat out screwed up their own game so...) They keep falling back on that excuse time and time again when they get asked that and it just doesn't make sense. So many other games release almost perfect working beta's with MUCH more time than DICE has to polish/balance the game.

-

I think it's just a scheduling issue... The game should be released around the time Bad Company 2 was, which turned out to be a huge success. It ran, for the most part, incredibly well even with the server issues. The demo was a huge eye opener for thousands of gamers. All in all, it was a great business move and set DICE up for a great sequel. Spring release all the way!

-

I don't know if it's EA or DICE or whoever else is involved, but they are being pushed way, WAY too hard to get this game out. I am a firm believer in delaying a game for a few months to get the major issues resolved so. We all know that there's no possible way they'd do that, especially missing out on the Christmas season. But there's always a chance so!

They may be rushed to get the jump on MW3.  If they *** it up I will be very annoyed.  I think the BETA sucked.  Testing the servers without destruction and vehicles?  BullSh*t.  That is why I play this game.  

Than you shoudn't have played the beta right??

-

You are not gonna play a racing game if you wanna fly a plane right? So why would you play a beta, of wich they announched WAY before the grapics were tuned down, and the destruction was on a minimum?

[quote user="Dusty Arne"]

-

You are not gonna play a racing game if you wanna fly a plane right? So why would you play a beta, of wich they announched WAY before the grapics were tuned down, and the destruction was on a minimum?

[/quote]Cause some of us ain't on dice's doorstep 24/7 and just assumed they would release a beta with the one thing that separates them from the rest of the FPS world.  They never had a little memo saying that when you downloaded it.  So that is why we played a beta with vehicles and no destruction, because we didn't know dice was really a bad company.

[quote user="Rastafarian204"]

-

[/quote]Cause some of us ain't on dice's doorstep 24/7 and just assumed they would release a beta with the one thing that separates them from the rest of the FPS world.  They never had a little memo saying that when you downloaded it.  So that is why we played a beta with vehicles and no destruction, because we didn't know dice was really a bad company.

[/quote]

Yah, short minded if you think BETA will have all the features like the end game.

-

BTW.. where the hell did you come form so suddenly..i though you were gone.. in like.. forever..

This is the second article I have read that states the same thing about the most recent build being a lot better than the beta which makes me feel better about my 60 dollar investment.  That being said from a sales and marketing standpoint, that beta was TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE decision by EA.  I understand a lot of you were able to adapt and enjoy, but I learned to adapt and enjoy unsweet tea, that doesnt make it delicious.  I can only hope that EAs marketing team has a counter to the beta such as a demo of one of the SP levels to counter act the damage that was done with the beta itself.

Cause some of us ain't on dice's doorstep 24/7 and just assumed they would release a beta with the one thing that separates them from the rest of the FPS world.  They never had a little memo saying that when you downloaded it.  So that is why we played a beta with vehicles and no destruction, because we didn't know dice was really a bad company.

[/quote]

Lots of people assumed they would be playing the full game, but Dice told us from the begining it was a limited pre-release Beta test.   Where it gets crazy is that there are so many who assumed they would play the full game, and then when then they found out otherwise, refused to accept it. 

While I think the beta was far from perfect, and still think Dice/EA made a lot of (marketing) mistakes with its release; it was not all that bad. I think what hurt the beta was the COD kids (not all COD players are bad, but there are alot of cheaters and K/D ***) in there; I want to know how you rank up to level 28-30 in 2 days? Some of these people have no lives and can play the (one) map all day and night learning every weakness and loophole. We can all agree it is no fun playing when you are being spawn killed or some jerk**f is hiding under the map killing people.

I think it was this type of stuff that really hurt the beta, once the full game is released and more maps and modes come out it should go alot smoother and funner.

-

[/quote]

Actually they did have a "little memo". It says in the agreement to which we all had to agree that the beta was not a representation of the final game or the capabilities of the engine. READ. You're crazy to agree to things without reading them.

Der Vert

No one reads those things lol. I remember reading about a study where a company place a the following line in the software user agreement:

"the first person to report this line to the company will recieve $10,000"

It took so long for someone to read the agreement that by the time someone claimed the prize (15 years or so later) the company forgot about it.