Musical Quest Items

Help,  I can not get rid of the Lute,  Flute and drum.  The folks at the Bards Collage do not seem interested in the items they cherish enough to send a dashing young adventurer  (such as myself) off to find.  They granted me knowledge but did not relieve me of the loot.  As I have no need of this stuff why do I still have to lug it around?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It's a glitch. But don't worry, quest items don't count towards your carry weight.

[quote user="implantedwall14"]

It's a glitch. But don't worry, quest items don't count towards your carry weight.

[/quote]

Not sure if they count towards your weight or not, but I am fairly sure that when you look at them they have weight (add them altogether I think its like 10 weight).  These items are bugged in a strange fashion.  They do not have their own Unique IDs in game (confirmed on PC version) so the game doesn't remove them from the inventory when you finish the quest, however they have unique names and are flagged as quest items.  Even if they don't take up weight (haven't confirmed it) they still are annoying to have in the inventory.  There are a few quest items that are like this.  Only fix I know of is through the PC Console command.

They have a weight under item description, but it doesn't count towards how much you can carry. I know because I was doing the "Sliced Tongues" quest, and I had the same encumbrance both when I had the weapons in my inventory and when they were put on the door.

Gotta love the bards college people.  I know there's a civil war and dragons are returning, but could you ignore that and go fetch my instrument.  Its a top priority in Skyrim right now, lol.

I have Finn's Lute which I picked up by mistake by grabbing the whole chest full of loot but I don't have the quest yet. I can't even store it in my house. A question. I read in either the guide or the wiki that there is a quest in Markarth where you get arrested and sent to the mine (I think this is the one) and everything is taken away even your quest items. It was advised that quests be completed before this as you don't get the quest items back though you do get everything else back. Is this a possible route to getting rid of unwanted inventory clutter?

[quote user="The Lady Bastet"]

I have Finn's Lute which I picked up by mistake by grabbing the whole chest full of loot but I don't have the quest yet. I can't even store it in my house. A question. I read in either the guide or the wiki that there is a quest in Markarth where you get arrested and sent to the mine (I think this is the one) and everything is taken away even your quest items. It was advised that quests be completed before this as you don't get the quest items back though you do get everything else back. Is this a possible route to getting rid of unwanted inventory clutter?

[/quote]

Bummer...another bad thing is if you pick up these quest items before you get the quest you can't finish the quest.  If you speak to the NPC who gives the quest, they will give it to you, but since you have the item already the second phase will never trigger (the trigger being when you pick up the item), since you can't drop the item and pick it back up to trigger this you'll be forever locked out of the quest.  As far as I know the "Forsworn Conspiracy" does take your items while you are under arrest, but it did not affect my quest items (I had about 12 Unusual Gems, some ingredients for a quest, and a book for a quest and all came back with me).

I had recovered the drum and King Olaf's lost verse before I had either quest and was able to get the quests later then turn around and tell them I had already retrieved the items. King Olaf's lost verse I was able to get rid of but I'm still lugging around that damn drum and the flute

They may have fixed it then in 1.3 so you can do the quest even if you picked up the item before getting the quest.  Very strange to fix that but not fix the error where the item remains in the inventory.  I last completed these quests in patch 1.1

That's possible. I skipped 1.2 but installed 1.3 when it became available and I don't believe I completed these until afterwards. I'm a warrior, not an entertainer, dammit

OK  Thankyou to all!