Multiple error code issues, prevents me from downloading any content.

This afternoon, I purchased Fallout 3 in digital form (with MS points). Halfway through the game download, I receive a popup message stating "Can't download Fallout 3", after which the download cancelled itself. Further attempts to download it from the Xbox Marketplace resulted in a message stating "Sorry, there's a problem with the Xbox Service" and the error code 8C230002. I looked up this error code and found that it is related to Xbox LIVE believing that your account has mature content purchase restrictions. My account is still technically a child account (as I have never promoted it), but the Date of Birth linked to it has been of legal adult age for over three years, and all content restrictions under family settings have been set to "allow mature/explicit/adult content" for over two years - during which time I've never had an issue downloading M-rated or unrated content. The recommended fix for this error code was to double-check and resubmit all content restrictions. To that end, I attempted to access the Family Settings on my console, only to receive another error message, which stated "This feature is temporarily unavailable." and returned the error code 80072f76-a9a501a4-583a0b48. I attempted to bypass this by accessing my download history under Account Settings and restarting the download from there, but attempting to access Account Settings gave me the error message "This feature is temporarily unavailable" and returned the error code 80072f76-00b96084-1ed9e66e. Attempting to use my download history on Xbox.com encounters the original error code (8C230002), and attempting to check my family settings on Xbox.com is impossible, since the email address linked to the parental Windows LIVE ID was created solely for managing the account when I was still underage (which was over three years ago, as I'm 21 now) and no one remembers it except the Xbox console itself, where we had it save the email address for that account to make logging in easier.

I also checked the Xbox LIVE status, and it claims that everything is up and running. http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

So, my questions for the staff are:

1) Is error code 8C230002 a temporary issue, related to Xbox LIVE or Marketplace errors and not my account or console, that will be resolved over time by Xbox staff?

2) If not, then are error codes 80072f76-a9a501a4-583a0b48 and 80072f76-00b96084-1ed9e66e issues that will be resolved over time by Xbox staff, in turn enabling me to fix error code 8C230002 myself?

3) If the answers to both 1) and 2) are no, then how can I resolve these issues?

(I have not yet cleared my console's marketplace data. I will update this thread if doing so changes anything mentioned above).

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 51 Applies to:

UPDATE 1:

Attempting to download game updates does not work either, returning an error status code of 3F4A-0000-D080-0200-8007-2F76. This code does not have an entry in the Xbox error/status code search tool.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

> My account is still technically a child account (as I have never promoted it),

Yes, it is and will remain a child account uuntil you promote it/

> but the Date of Birth linked to it has been of legal adult age for over three years,

Does not matter. Promote your account.

Sorry this didn't help.

Virboplex,

Thanks for the rude and unhelpful answer. First, I cannot promote my account, as I am unable to access my Account Settings. Second, I cannot promote my account, as doing so requires a credit card, and I don't have one. Third, I should not need to promote my account, as I have been able to download all content without restrictions ever since I changed the settings to permit mature and unrated content downloads in my account's family settings. Therefore, error code 8C230002 should not be appearing when I attempt to download M-rated content.

Sorry this didn't help.

UPDATE 2:

Deleting the Marketplace System Data and restarting the console does not resolve the problem, nor impact it in any way.

Sorry this didn't help.

UPDATE 3:

I finally managed to find the email address for the old parental account linked to my account, and attempted to log into it here on Xbox.com (to bypass the fact that I can't access any form of account settings or family settings directly from my console). However, attempting to do so gave me the following message:

It appears you've found a glitch in the system.

date: 1/7/2013 2:57:09 AM

code: 2DD77B46EDA57EB

s: ZKIiTk3A13Bdd0LUkVd6EQ==

id: 7d6c500d-f2a8-481a-b5b2-2f450708501c

req: 26f97b7c-e2aa-4325-9be3-1e34672f7046

Unless someone has some brilliant insight as to how I can fix this, I appear to be well and truly screwed, as there's no way to access the parental control settings that are allegedly causing so much trouble.

Sorry this didn't help.

UPDATE 4:

After speaking with an Xbox Support Agent for 45 minutes, we discovered that the Account Server is down. I'll update this thread again tomorrow if the problem persists after that server is up and running again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Timmy Von Slash! I'm sorry we didn't catch your thread sooner, sometimes when a thread gets bumped several times it's harder for us to find it! We do appreciate the wealth of information you've provided on your issue though. :)

It sounds like you might have found the root cause here but in case you're still experiencing it, there are a few steps I'd like to work through with you regarding this Xbox.com error you've encountered! This can often be cleared up if you clear your browser cache! It is also less likely to happen if you're using IE over other browsers. So try multiple browsers and let us know if you still experience the "uh oh" error!

In regards to account promotion, you don't need a credit card to promote your account! Once you've resolved this error I would recommend promoting your account so you don't encounter anything like this in the future. :)

Definitely do let us know if you're still having trouble with this error and would like further help! 

Sorry this didn't help.

I managed to resolve some of the issues I've been experiencing (including taking my hard drive to a different Xbox in order to promote my account), but there's one last obstacle preventing me from using my Xbox normally. I heard from Xbox support that the most recent system update comes in two parts: the main system update, and a small secondary system update that is set to automatically download and install once the main update is complete. The network here automatically blocks this secondary update from downloading, and I can't change the network settings (I'm currently at a university, so I can't change the network settings myself, and all of the IT and network staff here have pointedly ignored my requests to meet with them and discuss this issue). With the help of Xbox Support, I was able to download the main system update onto a flash drive and install it to my Xbox, but the system does not work properly without the secondary update. Is there any way that this secondary system update could be downloaded onto a flash drive via a computer or another console and then installed onto my Xbox?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Timmy! I'm glad to hear you got most of your issues sorted out. As for updating your console, I'm not quite sure what you mean by secondary update. Usually when the console updates, it simply takes the newest version and that is that. That said, if you are unable to accomplish any part of the update on your University network, and the USB device is not working, your next best option would be to take the console to a different network and try updating there. Once that's complete, you should be able to play at Uni no problem. Let us know how that goes, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.