Multiplayer/Split Screen

How do you know if a game can be played online with 2 people playing on the same console? I think it is called split screen/multiplayer but not sure of the lingo. I am not a gamer, I am trying to figure this out for my twins!!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

If it's a physical disc it will list some of the features on the back of the case. I can't remember the exact wording it'll use, but it'll tell you how many players you can have in a game or mention that it has split screen.

If it's a digital game, it'll show you the same thing on the console when you look at the description of the game.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

At Smwutches mentioned, the back of the game case will typically have small white boxes with green or gold font and it will normally say "co-op 1-2" or "co-op 2-4" if it is available for that particular game. If it is listed in green this means it is local split-screen. If it is gold then it means co-op over Xbox Live. Hope this helps!

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, so I need to buy games that have the gold so they can both play the game at the same time on Xbox live with other people? I hope I am making sense because this is so confusing to me!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

The games don't have gold themselves. Any games that list that they have online multiplayer will require the account to have a gold subscription so they can play online with other people.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, both my kids have a gold subscription, and they were both trying to play COD earlier online together against other people online and we couldn't get it to work. I called the support desk and they said that most games don't let 2 people on the same console play online against all the other people online playing the game. Is that true?

Sorry this didn't help.