MP blues

While I enjoy the gameplay of the MP, and the fact that it is cooperative rather than PvP, I am getting progressively discouraged with MP for the following reasons:

1) the randomness of the packs - I have been playing MP every day for the past 2 weeks (and on and off since the game came out) and I am still missing multiple characters (not just from resurgence pack) & haven't gotten any medigel in 2 weeks (with many vetran and spectre packs). I have shotguns (that I dont like to use because of the weight) coming out my ears & I have over 100 unnecessary ammo packs, etc, etc. I really wish there was an armory where you could buy what you want instead of getting random items I don't want.

2)  The level 20 cap - There was no reason for this since the MP is only against AI. At least level 30 (or whatever it would take to max out a character's powers) would have been better. Heaven forbid that the characters were allowed to level up enough so that the average player could eventually play on gold without getting crushed.

3) The revive system - While this feature is useful in theory, it is often a double edged sword, since the enemies tend to linger at the down player - effectively making the downed player the bait for an enemy trap (even on bronze). Unless you missle said group of enemies, the player attempting the revive will often go down as well, & even if the revive is successful, you are often surrounded by enemies - and with low health, no shields, and obscured vision it is no surprise you go right back down. And how nice that the enemy will add insult to injury by stomping you to death.

4) Difficulty - one would think that silver would be managable with 4 level 20 players, but that is certainly not always the case. While player skill and class selection obviously play a part in this, I think that the curve is steep for the average player. At times, the enemies seem relentless, even on bronze.

While the easy answer is to simply not play or just play on bronze, these seem poor solutions for a game that was just fine without MP. Since Bioware felt the need to introduce this aspect to the series, they could have made it a bit more user friendly to the average player. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

My younger nephew just started playing this co-op mode over the weekend.  He started the co-op and got his free starter pack .Right after that he saved up some money and bought the spectre pack. He unlocked the Krogan Soldier.  I could not even believe it.  Took me FOREVER before I got that and he unlocked it on his very first purchased pack.  lol

average player...dude, you have almost 100k gamer score, that is not average

I'd think you'd have more me3 friends to play with, I have several and have no issue or concerns with what you posted here.

@Vader - by random I mean you have no control over what is in them. I am not referring to the general contents as I know there will be items for the ME MP in there. I think there would be plenty of folks that would continue playing the game if you had options to buy what you want. I have 8 shotguns (many high level) that I dont use. I would rather to be able to save my $ and buy higher versions of weapons I enjoy and that suit my playstyle.

@ Adrian - Im not talking about God mode. Im saying that if you are a faithful player to the MP, over time you could reach a level cap that allowed an AVERAGE team to be able to survive on gold. As the gold difficulty is now, most players do not touch it - only those who are VERY good.

Overall I just think the game could be a little more user friendly to the AVERAGE player, especially since it is not player vs player.

I'm fine with the level cap, because it allows several different spec possibilities.  MP would be no fun if we had God Mode (i.e. everything was maxed out).  

As for the packs, you have every right to complain when items in the packs are obsolete to your inventory and you have money (ms points) vested in these packs (which is why it's not worth it to use points for packs). They don't do this for weapons(once you get to level X, you don't get level X for that weapon again), why should they do it for character XP.  It would be like spending ms points on an arcade game you already downloaded.  In other words, they are stealing from you.  

to address your op:

1) packs need to be "random" (they aren't purely random, you'll get generally 2-3 consumables and then the others are either weapons, weapon mods or characters). the randomness therein is needed otherwise I'd be running around with a mythical Sabre X like 3 weeks ago. the randomness insures people will play it for a while longer and makes it a bit more interesting (black ops for instance used a direct buy on a lot of things and killed its multiplayer with it imo)

2) with a cap at 20 you can get 3 powers to 6, 1 to 5 and 1 to 3 ( or 4 to 6 and the last with none). this is pretty good as generally each class has a utility ability that isn't fully needed (like human engineers drone, 3 pts is all you really need in it) as the other 2 powers and passive vastly outweight that power.

3) thats part of the game really and makes the coop more fun from a certain perspective as it forces you (and your team) to stay near each other so that if someone goes down you aren't in the middle of a group of enemies.

4) dificulty curve is ok as far as I can tell. bronze lets you in, silver makes you better, gold will kick your @@@ (unless you are doing White + Geth at which point its easy with non-mentally challenged team mates).

@ Prat - yes it did come off that way a bit but no worries. My hats off to your dad for his 30 plus years of service! True dedication!

[quote user="jedimaster573"]

@ Praetorian - My combat tours were not all a year long. The first 2 were 6-9 months long with the 82d Abn Division. I have been a DL instructor for the US Army for several years now, so yes I have more free time than I did when in an active combat unit and my current schedule is somewhat flexible - my time management skills are pretty good too. In regards to my gamerscore, I enjoy doing achievements and I stick with a game until I have done them all. My point in my statements was that I understand the concept of patience based on my personal beliefs and experiences. Awesome that your dad was Active Duty for 23 years. Ive had some opportunites to work with the Para Regiment in my career and they were all top notch soldiers. Any other questions or condescending remarks?

[/quote]

That explains it then.  I was just kind of curious really even though I might have come across as a bit douchy.  I had heard that combat tours in the US Army lasted a year to 15 months so wondered how you found the time to game.

And my dad still is on active duty.  Five years after leaving the regulars in 1997, he rejoined as an officer in the Terrirotal Army - like your National Guard.  Did a tour in Iraq in 2005 and was in Afghanistan in 2010.  He's 54 years old.  Been involved in every British military action from the Falklands in '82 right up to Afghanistan.  He's a Major now.

@ Praetorian - My combat tours were not all a year long. The first 2 were 6-9 months long with the 82d Abn Division. I have been a DL instructor for the US Army for several years now, so yes I have more free time than I did when in an active combat unit and my current schedule is somewhat flexible - my time management skills are pretty good too. In regards to my gamerscore, I enjoy doing achievements and I stick with a game until I have done them all. My point in my statements was that I understand the concept of patience based on my personal beliefs and experiences. Awesome that your dad was Active Duty for 23 years. Ive had some opportunites to work with the Para Regiment in my career and they were all top notch soldiers. Any other questions or condescending remarks?

[quote user="jedimaster573"]

I am not going to concede my opinion on the randomness of the packs. I have purchased quite a few packs at all levels (including the resurgence for 99k) over the past few weeks. I have been playing the MP since the game was released, but daily over the last few weeks. In regards to being patient - Im almost 40 with a family, I have been in the Army for 21 years (infantry) with 3 tours in combat. I am also working on a graduate degree in Biblical studies. I know what it means to be patient. I simply do not like the fact that the game forces you to accept items that you do not want or need. I would rather be able to purchase characters or weapons that I want and that suit my playstyle instead of being forced to play the box lottery and hope you get something you can use.

In regards to the A button, i agree, especially the sprinting which i feel is a hinderance to the navigation. However, that is not specific to the MP, so I did not include it.

[/quote]

For a guy doing all that, you have a lot of time to play Xbox and rack up nearly 100,000 gamerscore.  Did they let you take your Xbox and connect to Live on these combat tours - which last a year or more in the US Army?

My dad did exactly the same thing in the 1990s when the world was a bit more peaceful.  A family of 4 to support whilst taking a degree and being a full-time soldier of 23 years in the British Army with a tour in Bosnia before leaving.  He barely had enough time for himself.

I purchased 10 Spectre packs today: 2 missle launchers, 6 medigel, and 2 upgrades on the Striker Assault Rifle.  Everything else, was Character XP and equipment.  

As far as the difficulty of SILVER: When you're doing a hack or disabling the devices, the enemies will continue to spawn until those tasks are complete.  Same is true for extraction.  Until you're extracted they will spawn. I'm not sure about the targets.  That can make SILVER more difficult even with Level 20 players.