Mortar from fun to obligation.

So I’ve noticed something playing rush, if one side is running a Mortar, and the other side doesn’t one, 95% of the time, that side is going to lose.   I’m now trying to level other classes but if the other side has a Mortar,  I feel obligated pull it mine out to stop them, otherwise I know it’s a loss.   I’ll pull out kill them and then put it away.  If they do it again, I’ll repeat.  I’ve even gotten hate messages from other Mortar users over this.  “HELP YOUR TEAM IDIOT”  How is stopping the other side from using a mortar not helping?

If the other side doesn’t have one and I run mine, we always seem to win, not bad for an overall low-skilled player.   Sure good players will sneak around and kill me, but that doesn’t always work, and it’s a distraction from getting/defending the point.   I spawn back where I need to be, they die and need to make their way back, so I win.  I usually do not get a ton of kills using the Mortar, but it sure as heck changes the way the other team plays.  My K/D is always positive with the mortar and unlike some snipers, I didn’t do it at the expense of my team.

This is my first battlefield game since Bad Company 1.  This thing doesn’t seem balanced, the only real counter seems to be another mortar.   I’m not saying nerf it, but I’m not sure long term how this thing will work out.  I guess sooner or later everyone will have one and we will see.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I wish they'd had just left it at calling it in on a general area. Not a big fan of how it is now and it's maybe one of my few gripes about BF3.

I havent unlocked them yet. How are they called in now? Like the artillery drop KSR in BOs?

here is the version with paragraphs, I was trying to do that when the fourms crashed and now I can't edit it.

So I’ve noticed something playing rush, if one side is running a Mortar, and the other side doesn’t one, 95% of the time, that side is going to lose.   I’m now trying to level other classes but if the other side has a Mortar,  I feel obligated pull it mine out to stop them, otherwise I know it’s a loss.   I’ll pull out kill them and then put it away.  If they do it again, I’ll repeat.  I’ve even gotten hate messages from other Mortar users over this.  “HELP YOUR TEAM IDIOT”  How is stopping the other side from using a mortar not helping?

If the other side doesn’t have one and I run mine, we always seem to win, not bad for an overall low-skilled player.   Sure good players will sneak around and kill me, but that doesn’t always work, and it’s a distraction from getting/defending the point.   I spawn back where I need to be, they die and need to make their way back, so I win.  I usually do not get a ton of kills using the Mortar, but it sure as heck changes the way the other team plays.  My K/D is always positive with the mortar and unlike some snipers, I didn’t do it at the expense of my team.

This is my first battlefield game since Bad Company 1.  This thing doesn’t seem balanced, the only real counter seems to be another mortar.   I’m not saying nerf it, but I’m not sure long term how this thing will work out.  I guess sooner or later everyone will have one and we will see.

[quote user="UneasyJmitchell"]

I havent unlocked them yet. How are they called in now? Like the artillery drop KSR in BOs?

[/quote]I'm curious about this as well.  Also, what kind of range do they have?

i haven't unlocked either but i'm guessing it has something that shows marked players? i get murdered by it when i'm trying to defend on certain maps.

It's difficult to work out the maximum range as it changes if you are higher or lower than the target area.

-

It works by spotting, a larger minimap appears to the left hand side of your screen running from nearly the top of the screen to the bottom, red targets appear on this map when enemies/enemy vehicles are spotted by teammates, if no one is spotting you can just pepper an area and hope for the best.

-

I haven't worked out the exact aiming on the mortar, it's a bit hit and miss, I also don't know if the Explosive perk affects the damage dished out.

-

Reading a bit more about it you can swap to smoke shells, I'm gonna have to try this out as I thought it was an additional unlock.

[quote user="Uloi"]the only real counter seems to be another mortar.[/quote]

Use sound suppressors. You won't show up on a mortar operators radar when you fire. Most of my mortar kills are people who flash up on radar after firing.

You're still spottable though so keep your head down and make sure to spot for your own mortar operators! It's very hard for them to be effective without good spotters!

[quote user="Unreal Warfare"]

[quote user="Uloi"]the only real counter seems to be another mortar.[/quote]

Use sound suppressors. You won't show up on a mortar operators radar when you fire. Most of my mortar kills are people who flash up on radar after firing.

You're still spottable though so keep your head down and make sure to spot for your own mortar operators! It's very hard for them to be effective without good spotters!

[/quote]

Yes sound suppressors work.   However you can still be spotted and it's hard to put them on a tank (i get most of my kills on those).   But my main point being you have changed the way everyone on the other team needs to play.  They now need to run suppressors and your guys don't need to = your guys have better damge at range.   One guy on the field is chaging the whole match.  Few snipers use suppressors because they want those one hit kills, hard to get with a suppressor.

@Waykam,  I do not think elevation has any effect on the range of the mortar. That would be realistic, but also a huge advantage for one side on some of the maps. There is already one map where the defending side can mortar, but cannot be killed in any way, hes in the safe zone.  And not even by another mortar will hit it.   Maybe it’s possible to snipe, but I do not think so. Sorry I’m not giving that info out because I know it’s a glitch. 

A

[quote user="reverse20"]

i haven't unlocked either but i'm guessing it has something that shows marked players? i get murdered by it when i'm trying to defend on certain maps.

[/quote]

It works much the way the artillary worked in BC1. once deployed you get an overhead view of a map and you lob mortars to areas you aim at. Simple.

I commend you in the highest way for taking out mortarfags...