Modern Warfare 3 = Same Engine Since Call of Duty 2

The IW Engine was first used in Call of Duty 2 (2005). It was used in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007). It was used in Call of Duty: World at War (2008). It was updates sometime in 2009 to the IW Engine 4.0. The update featured the ability to make a more detailed environment. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) used the IW Engine 4.0. Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010) went back to IW Engine. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is going to be using the IW Engine 4.0.

What does this all mean? Nothing really. People will still play Call of Duty like it is the best multiplayer experience ever. My question is, when is the Call of Duty series going to add something innovative? The series doesn't need a completely new engine because Call of Duty 4 used the same engine as Call of Duty 2 but look how innovative it was. Maybe if Activison can implement dedicated servers and maybe the developers can recreate the multiplayer again (like IW did with Call of Duty 4) and Call of Duty can feel fresh once again.

Some examples of slight innovations the developers can add to series (to compliment the dedicated servers) to make Call of Duty feel fresh again are:

- Reinvent/Remove the perk system.
- Add an in depth character customization system (more customized than Brink or Halo: Reach) Maybe it can make use of Kinect to add your face to the game.
- Make the guns more realistic (make the guns have true recoil).

Unless I see some kind of innovation/dedicated servers I will not touch the multiplayer. Right now Modern Warfare 3 is a 2012 weekend rental to play the campaign and that is it.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The multiplayer needs to be redone I agree but the problem is it is risky and they do not want to take that risk.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

I agree with most of what you said that they should make some changes/improvements to the MP for the COD games but I'm not in favor character customization. It wouldn't improve gameplay and there is no need to customize a character in a FPS where you'll never see your character.

I've given up on CoD.

Just two things I want from it.  Dedicated servers would be great since it is the most played game on Live.  Also, try and keep cheaters off as best you can.  Not sure if dedicated servers would help this.  They didn't even attempt to moderate MW2.

remove all perks and attachments, cool trailer btw.

[quote user="StanleyStutters"]

I agree with most of what you said that they should make some changes/improvements to the MP for the COD games but I'm not in favor character customization. It wouldn't improve gameplay and there is no need to customize a character in a FPS where you'll never see your character.

[/quote]
Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

I'm pretty sure its the same as COD 4. COD 2 and COD 3 were different.

I think dedicated servers are a must, if they want to get rid of glitchers and hackers.

Glitchers and hackers will keep ruining the game as it's using the same engine, so the hacks will be pretty similar. Dedicated servers should help in that case.

they need to remake this game, however  activision will make them constantly push games out every year. if they didnt rush them and got them to take there time they could really make a quality game.

[quote user="SONIC SCREAM 07"]I think dedicated servers are a must, if they want to get rid of glitchers and hackers.

Glitchers and hackers will keep ruining the game as it's using the same engine, so the hacks will be pretty similar. Dedicated servers should help in that case.

[/quote]It'll just give them...glitchers, hackers and modders...a new place to play.

*sigh* I'm probably the only person who actually cares about the solo campaign of CoD.  I haven't even thought about the MP aspect of MW3.