Microsoft: Valve not an Xbox competitor.

According to this link, they don't think so.

Below is a few bits of the article. 

Speaking this week during Microsoft's TechForum, president of Interactive Entertainment Business Don Mattrick was asked if Valve was thought of as a competitor. Mattrick bluntly said "no," going on to note that Valve is "doing some innovative stuff." 

"The scale of products and things that are being brought to market are probably a little bit richer when I look at Sony, Nintendo, Apple, and Google," Mattrick said.

Mattrick was also asked about the possibility of opening up the Xbox platform in a greater capacity to third-party developers. It doesn't appear that this will happen, as he said he is content with Microsoft's current curation strategy.

I think it can be a threat to Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="brandiesel1"] I think it can be a threat to Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

[/quote]

No.

Two words:  Source Engine

[quote user="Azrael008uk"]

[quote user="brandiesel1"] I think it can be a threat to Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

[/quote]

No.

Two words:  Source Engine

[/quote]

Care to elaborate? 

Total arrogance form Microsoft, it's up to the public to decide.

I don't think it will ever become as popular as straight up PC steam.

^^ I don't think so either, but I'm still curious about it.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

I'm more interested in what apple have in mind.

[quote user="IsaacClarkeSNL"]

I don't think it will ever become as popular as straight up PC steam.

[/quote]

Steambox is just gonna be a small PC for the living room that can run the Steam platform, it isn't designed to replace a gaming PC.  Valve's target market for the Steambox isn't PC gamers, it's people who don't game on PC, i.e. those who game in the living room.  The idea is just to get more people using the Steam platform, what better way to do that than tap into a market where the PC isn't as prevalent.

[quote user="the1337gamer"]Care to elaborate? 

[/quote]

Just turn any of their games for the 360 on.

That thing is your grandmother's game engine.

Az

[quote user="Azrael008uk"]

[quote user="the1337gamer"]Care to elaborate? 

[/quote]

Just turn any of their games for the 360 on.

That thing is your grandmother's game engine.

Az

[/quote]

Right, while I agree that the Source engine is dated, that has nothing to do with Valve not being a threat in the hardware department.  Besides Valve are developing a successor to the Source engine, and the engine itself still holds up very well for its age.

From what I have read about the hardware, its probably going to be pretty expensive. And if they want to continue the trend of incredible Steam prices, they won't to be able to sell it at a loss. Another thing people don't realize about Steam is, when you buy a game from their marketplace, you are only getting a single user license. If the same model is used with Steam Box, it wouldn't really be a logical purchase for most console owners unless there is nobody else in the house who plays video games.