Microsoft ripping off consumers, why?

Anyone else noticed this?

XBOX 360 w/o Kinect 4GB - $299

XBOX 360 w/o kinect 250GB - $299 (whhhaat?  same price?  shouldnt 4 gig be cheaper or am i smoking crack?)

XBOX 360 w/Kinnect 250GB - $399

Kinect by itself as an accessory - $149

250GB hard drive by itself - $99

So they release the 4 gig system first, then slowly release much needed accessories at higher prices than if you just bought the newer system.  This seems criminal to me

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The 4GB w/o kinect is 199.99 with kinect is 299.99

Not during the original release.  But your right, as of now the 4 gig is going for 199.  I was speaking more about the price all of us paid for it the day it released.  And microsoft KNEW that they were going to release a bigger Gig months later.  I still cant play Halo Reach Campaign online bc it requires a bigger hard drive.  And Halo is the ONLY game designed by microsoft.  There is no coincidence there

It's called packaging incentives.

It seems fine to me

XBOX 360 w/o Kinect 4GB - $199

+

250GB hard drive by itself - $99

=

XBOX 360 w/o kinect 250GB - $299

+

Kinect by itself as an accessory - $149

=

XBOX 360 w/Kinnect 250GB - $399

They took 50 bucks off of the bundle to give you an incentive to buy it. Seems like basic marketing to me.

perhaps that im just overly angry that i have to buy a new xbox.  when i got one right here?  My wife wants to play kinect, which i dont have, and i need a bigger hard drive.  99 + 149 = nearly 250 just for the two accessories i want,  which in itself is more expensive than my actual console.  I just dont like it.

[quote user="PRINCE H8R"]

perhaps that im just overly angry that i have to buy a new xbox.  when i got one right here?  My wife wants to play kinect, which i dont have, and i need a bigger hard drive.  99 + 149 = nearly 250 just for the two accessories i want,  which in itself is more expensive than my actual console.  I just dont like it.

[/quote]

You would have payed that amount no matter which way you bought the items anyway.

When it first came out, the 20 gig HD was like $100, the wireless adapter was $100 etc.  Its the cycle of all video games.  If you want it now it will cost its full price.  If you have patience, everything will come down in price.  It isn't a rip off, its the price.  Hell just to fill my tank its $60.  To go to the movies $70 ish easy.  Compare and contrast the prices of everything, you will see gaming prices compared to today, really aren't that bad.  But its also why I stay with one system, I won't support 2, its just too expensive.  For the cheap gamer, patience is your friend.  There are plenty of companies out there ripping us off, MS isn't exactly ripping us off like say the oil companies, but then again, they aren't offering you a dollar menu either....

[quote user="Wolvklaw"]

When it first came out, the 20 gig HD was like $100, the wireless adapter was $100 etc.  Its the cycle of all video games.  If you want it now it will cost its full price.  If you have patience, everything will come down in price.  It isn't a rip off, its the price.  Hell just to fill my tank its $60.  To go to the movies $70 ish easy.  Compare and contrast the prices of everything, you will see gaming prices compared to today, really aren't that bad.  But its also why I stay with one system, I won't support 2, its just too expensive.  For the cheap gamer, patience is your friend.  There are plenty of companies out there ripping us off, MS isn't exactly ripping us off like say the oil companies, but then again, they aren't offering you a dollar menu either....

[/quote]

My GOD Man, what movie theater do you go to?

$70 to go watch a movie?  Jeez, do you get driven there by limo and get the red carpet treatment upon your arrival?

It's a rubbish analogy anyway as the movies can cost you as much as you're willing to pay and depends on the amount of people you take along with you.  So in theory, it's possible to spend thousands on a single night out whether it's going to the movies or eating out.  Whereas, the price of a console is usually the same in one shop as it is in another.

[quote user="PRINCE H8R"]

My GOD Man, what movie theater do you go to?

[/quote]

Lets see. $12.00  for a ticket, $5.00 for a drink, $7.00 for popcorn, $5.00 for a little box of skittles, and lets not forget taxes on the food items. You are looking at $30.00 per person, so if you want to have some relations with the little lady that night, double it all up, and it comes close to $70.00.

Also, Should i be mad at MS for charging $400.00 for my launch 360 that only had a 20 gig HDD? When they KNEW they would be making better ones for cheaper a few months later??  Or perhaps i should have waited until the price dropped some more? I guess that is the price you pay when you want something now, instead of later.