microsoft points scam

i contacted support and they informed me that, there is no protection against unauthorized purchases using micro soft points.

they also said there are no refunds for those unauthorized purchases, and no way to password protect against future purchases.

oh and they said have a nice day.  %$^#%$^$ 

just about anything involving real money has massive security, passwords, etc. but not microsoft points.

that is why i call this a scam if it wasnt there would have been password protection from day 1.

specifically my kids got up this morning an seen a picture of a movie they watch, clicked it an purchased it from zune for 1600 points.

the same movie was in the disk drive. the same picture was showing on both tiles. i had bought it at big lots for $4.99 a few weeks ago.

now it just cost another $20 for the same movie have no use for, an no way to down load, or any way for them to watch it on there tv that plays only disks.

i could block everything on xbox but then they couldnt watch cartoons or play games. 

i wont be buying anything else from microsoft until they fix this, or remove zune from xbox...

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

like this, share on other sites, an leave comments, if you want them to add password protection to microsoft points.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

actually there is a way'

forums.xbox.com/.../37465.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

actually that does not address microsoft points. microsoft support said they know it is an issue but as of yet have done nothing to correct it.

Sorry this didn't help.

The only way to solve this issue is to lock out your account with a passcode so that your kids do not have access to it when you aren't around.  This is the only solution available to you as ultimately you are responsible for your account and what is purchased from it.

Sorry this didn't help.

you are responcible for your own account this includes communications and purchases and actions made on the account

you can passcode protect your account

it prevents anyone not authorized by you to use your account without supervision

and put your children on a familyplan and have them on controlled child accounts

family settings are there for a reason whenever you use it or not is your choice

if a parent wants a child not to make purchases on an child account they may edit the parental settings to prevent premium purchases (ms points or movies or any DLC without the family passcode)

Sorry this didn't help.

you are told upfront in the terms of use and any purchases there is no refunds and all actions on an account is your responciblity

Sorry this didn't help.

that is the issue. microsoft has NOT implemented a password FOR microsoft points. xbox live (pass code or password) is a separate entity from, ms points (no protection). i have talked with multiple support tech's and its a well known issue. i was told they have no plans to fix it untill they have enough complaints to force action to be taken.

not only on xbox console,  also on any computer, there is NO protection against anyone making unauthorized microsoft points purchases.

here is a story i hope will help everyone understand the separation of the two better.

say i have a bank card, ill call the bank microsoft points bank. i use this card to make a purchase online at... say xbox games store.

now this example store i call xbox games store required a password, and used secure payment options. one being my example card. transaction completed with no issues. a week later i find out my bank account at microsoft points bank has had a million dollar withdrawl to somewhere in another country. i discover my bank has no security in place, so when i made an online purchase anyone could grab my bank account info. i ask the bank, how could this happen? is there not some sort of security,? like a password or pin number? an what do i do? they inform me, it is not there problem, and ask if i read there TOS before putting my money in there bank. i said yes an there is no mention of them not providing even the most basic security measures. they in turn say, we know that is an issue, sorry, have a nice day.

Sorry this didn't help.

i forgot to mention in my story it was some guy named zune who made the withdrawl :)

seriously... i do not want anything except they fix this and implement password protection directly to microsoft points purchases. i do love microsoft products an i believe they would never want to lose customers over something this miniscule.

Sorry this didn't help.

Xbox is not responsible for how you or your family spend your points.  Unless you lost control of your tag to an outside entity somehow there is no way to get those points returned.  Because it was your kids who bought the movie you are stuck with the concequences of it.

There is a passcode lockout of your account available for you to set up.  This protects not only access to your account but to your MS Points as well because no one can access it without the code.  These are the protection measures that Xbox has put into place for you.

As for Zune, that is the Zune marketplace that received the points for the movie purchase.

Sorry this didn't help.

i dont know how to say it any more clear xbox live and microsoft points are two separate entities. xbox live does have password and or passcode protection. microsoft points has no security measures at all of any kind directly. microsoft knows this but as of yet has not implemented any security. it was microsoft support that suggested i post this in forums to get enough people aware of the problem so that changes can be made.

heres another good example... say you linked your credit card or paypal account to microsoft points. someone breaks in your home and steals your xbox. sure it takes them a short time to decript the password or passcode. but, by the time you get home from work and notice youve been robbed, they have allready drained your bank accounts.

Sorry this didn't help.