ME 1 Questioned.

So it has been a long time since I have played mass effect 1 and I figured I would try to do my hardcore insanity run throughs on all three. My question is when starting a new campaign with a pre-existing profile but the difficulty is set to casual do I just set it hardcore while I am on the ship before starting any missions or do I have to play a new campaign with a fresh character and set it before the game actually begins for the achievements to work?

Btw I posted this in the Mass effect Forum a couple of days ago hoping at least one person would answer it but no one has so I am posting it in here since nobody really checks that one anymore. A quick reply would be nice as I am a good ways into the game and I don't really want to go further without being sure that I did it right. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you 'Select Existing ID' for your 'Insanity' run, there's a glitch that will automatically set it back to 'Hardcore' after you start the game, you can however change it back to 'Insanity' when you begin the Eden Prime mission and it won't affect the 'Insanity' achievement.  I did three complete playthroughs on what I thought was 'Insanity' but it was in fact 'Hardcore' due to this glitch...:-)

When I did my Hardcore and Insanity playthroughs, I made sure the Difficulty was on the relevant difficulty aboard the Normandy, soon as I was given control of Shepard.

thanks arkham99 and ya that's what I did to Deaths head 200 I switch it to Hardcore while I was on board the Normandy before the Eden Prime mission started . I just wasn't sure if that was good enough or if I had to be on the specific difficulty level from the get go. Thanks for the responses :).

That's not a glitch Arkham. When you Select Existing ID it also imports the Difficulty level of that ID, it is an intentional feature.

-

It restores that Shepard exactly as they were, difficulty included, minus the choices made previously.

You set the difficulty to 'Insanity' and it then changes it back to 'Hardcore', which is a glitch or blind oversight as far as I'm concerned.  Anyone going for harder difficulty achievements on any game know that the settings cannot be changed to unlock the medal, the last thing that they expect is for the settings to change on their own which this one clearly does AFTER you set it to 'Insanity' so yes, it's a glitch...:-)

It's not a glitch because it is an intended part of the Select Existing ID function. That brings over everything but the choices from the previous run.

-

The previous difficulty is brought back because that is what that ID finished the game on.

-

I agree that it should have been made clearer but it is something intended, not a glitch.

Well, I guess there's nothing else to argue about today so why not this, it's "something intended" simply because you say that it is?  'Selecting Existing ID' is exactly what the option implies, IDENTIFICATION of Commander Shepard, why do you insist that the difficulty level is part of Commander Shepard's personal information?  It's not, it's part of the gamplay settings, and shouldn't be altered without your knowledge.  Let's just entertain the possibility that you're correct and BioWare made this an "intentional feature", 'Insanity' wasn't even available for the previous "ID" (takes a complete 'Hardcore' save to unlock it), so by your evaluation the option 'Insanity' shouldn't even be there if you're 'Selecting Existing ID', you and I obviously have a completely different definition of the word "glitch" in our memory banks, funny how when EDI appears after 'Destroy' for countless gamers in the orginal endings of this game, it's unequivocally certified a "glitch" by voteDC yet an obvious flaw in the game that you so desperately want them to remake over and over again is an "intentional feature", sure, BioWare thought they'd mess with us and change the difficulty without our consent after it's specified by us so that the achievement won't unlock, "intentional" indeed...:-)

I genuinely give up trying to talk to someone who doesn't consider the difficultly they play on as part of that play through.

[quote user="voteDC"]

I genuinely give up trying to talk to someone who doesn't consider the difficultly they play on as part of that play through.

[/quote]

Didn't say that, it's part of the 'Gameplay Settings', and if it were truly an integral part of Commander Shepard's IDENTIFICATION you wouldn't be able to change the settings after starting the game now would you, which is the case for the TRUE aspects of Shepard's "Existing ID", "give up" is about the best idea you have on the subject unless you have something else other than ME1 bias to substantiate the game altering the difficulty on its own AFTER you specify it yourself to be an "intentional feature"...:-)

Arkham99, I started a new game of ME1 on my alternate account 10 minutes ago. Selected existing ID... soon as I had control of Shepard on the Normandy, went to options and difficulty settings. It was set to Hardcore... which is what that FemShep's previous playthrough was on. Changed it to Insanity and all set. So what voteDC stated, is true. Check out the BSN and Mass Effect wiki if you don't believe it.