Mass Effect trilogy remaster could be headed to Xbox One

Found this on another forum so I thought I'd share it here...

[quote]

Who wants a Mass Effect trilogy remastered re-release on Xbox One? You do? Well apparently Bioware wants one too, so much so that they've "discussed it internally." Could some more concrete news be that far over the horizon?

NeoGAF user Shinobi602 (whose posts I can't help but read in Dennis Nedry's voice) took to Twitter to ask Bioware's GM Aaryn Flynn and studio director Yanick Roy what they thought about the idea of releasing a Mass Effect Trilogy remaster for next gen consoles. Flynn's reply was surprisingly candid:

@shinobi602 @YanickRRoy We have discussed that internally. If we can put solid plans together we'll share. Great to hear you're keen— Aaryn Flynn (@AarynFlynn) March 2, 2014

Well now. I think I can safely say that we're all keen Aaryn, if that helps the process along any. What dream features would you like to see integrated into a full next gen remaster?

Thanks, CVG.

[/quote]

Source : http://www.totalxbox.com/72457/mass-effect-trilogy-remaster-could-be-headed-to-xbox-one/

Well, it was bound to happen... if it does, I suspect that some people who used to frequent here a lot will get it (Speaking for myself... I dunno... already have the ME trilogy on Xbox 360 and the 'other' console) but I do wonder : Will the MP in ME3 still be active if this does indeed happen. We all know EA's notorious for shutting down the servers to older titles (In January, online support for the game MAG was ended) so to have the MP for ME3 still active then, with all the glitches etc it has now since BioWare abandoned it in March 2013... IDK.

Anyway... what do you think?

Discussion Info

Last updated September 20, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I can see this happening to help promote the next game for the new consoles if it's not to be released until Fall 2015, a Christmas 2014 'Complete Trilogy' would help the extensive wait along for the new game and get people back into it, or for those who have never played the series before to get them interested in buying the next game.  I just think that it's a bit of a joke that M$ thumbed their noses to backwards compatibility for the new consoles and expect people to buy the same games/DLC all over again, but then again, alot of people probably would do it anyway so, why not?

During the first couple of years after the 360 launched, M$ engineered emulation software for about half of the Original XBOX Catalogue to be backwards compatible at no additional cost to gamers, but then realised that if they made these games available for download under 'XBOX Classics' they could sell them all over again instead and have abandoned any efforts for backwards compatibility ever since.  Now it's become the developer's responsibility to ensure that their classic games are still playable whenever M$ decides to change their underwear...:-)

I'll believe it when it happens. Until then, "talking about it," even within BioWare, doesn't amount to "we're going to do it." Which is say I'll be very happy if it happens, but a "talking about it" reference on Twitter is hardly promising.

I'll believe it when it happens. Until then, "talking about it," even within BioWare, doesn't amount to "we're going to do it." Which is say I'll be very happy if it happens, but a "talking about it" reference on Twitter is hardly promising.

That's pretty much how I see it as well. But I certainly am in the 'hope so' camp. Can we dare to imagine how the original Mass Effect would look with a graphical makeover for the X1? Wow... I think I may have just Homer Simpson drooled. 

I imagine it would look like the PC version with the High Resolution texture mod installed.

One of the big stumbling blocks to this is that EA don't want to license the Unreal Engine any longer. All their future games, Mass Effect 4 included, will be using Frostbite.

Are they really going to want to license the Unreal engine again just for a remaster? Would the money they'd get from a  remake in Frostbite really make it worth their while?

I doubt that "it would look like the PC version with the High Resolution texture mod installed" for neither the ONE or PS4 are capable of these kind of projections, especially with the 3rd game's improvements over the somewhat "dated" (eventhough I think it actually looked better) first game's technology.  The graphics capabilities of both the supposed "NextGen" consoles are nowhere near as robust as what PC's are turning out nowadays, or even last year for that matter, it would take a pretty big "remastering" job to make it look as good as the PC counterparts, and as you eluded to it wouldn't be "worth their while" financially...:-)

If the parts in the One were in a PC, pretty much everything would be on par with the parts I use in my computer. The One, and indeed the PS4, could easily handle the high resolution texture mod if my PC can.

All three games use the same underlying technology, the Unreal Engine 3. This is a game engine that is very forgiving on the system requirements.

Buy yes, the financial elements just wouldn't be there.

I don't know voteDC, the ONE which is inferior to the PS4 graphically, has yet to run a game above 720-900p so far, many are hoping the new update will finally deliver a game such as 'TinCanFall' in 1080p but that's a lot to expect from a software tweak, especially with the underachieving frame rates thus far, you really believe that either console can run ME3 at full settings fluidly like a half decent PC can today?  'NFS Rivals', which granted is a much newer EA game, doesn't look anywhere near as good on a PS4 as it does the PC at full pop.  I was able to directly compare the two first hand recently and there's quite a noticeable difference in the two.  My newer PC is about 7 months old and the PS4 looked like a 360 projecting when I compared 'Rivals' on the same TV with it, and it appears that both new consoles are all ready being pushed to their limits graphically...:-)

[quote user="Arkham99"]I don't know voteDC, the ONE which is inferior to the PS4 graphically, has yet to run a game above 720-900p so far[/quote]Forza 5 and NBA 2K14 both run at 1080p and 60 frames per second. As will the new Wolfenstein game.

I think IGN has a decent comparison list of resolution and frames per second for games on the One and PS4. I've no doubt you could find more 1080p games on there.

[quote user="Arkham99"]you really believe that either console can run ME3 at full settings fluidly like a half decent PC can today?[/quote]Yes because as I said it is not a hardware issue, rather it is one of software.

I think that what is holding back a lot of developers is having to make sure that their games continue to run well when people are 'snapping' other functions, such as SKYPE, onto the screen at the same time.

Plus this is a new operating system they are learning, things will only get better. Look at the launch games on the 360 to what is coming out now.

Microsoft also have a new SDK coming out for developers which will make programming for the One much easier.

The hardware in the One is more than capable of running high resolution Mass Effect games. Microsoft just need to improve the software and make the console easier to program for.

When you look at a more comparable EA game, such as 'Battlefield 4', it runs natively at 720p for the ONE and 900p respectively for the PS4, nothing like the PC version.  On top of that, this particular game has had a host of problems running even at those resolutions on the ONE.  8GB of RAM may have been eyepopping last year but they're not "NextGen" specs, in my opinion, and Apps will likely be more of a benefactor to software improvements than the games will.  The PS4's better graphics capabilities likely won't even be explored by developers because it's more cost effective to port the "dumber" version across both machines, I guess I just don't share your enthusiasm that software is going to solve the many issues plaguing these consoles when the hardware was rushed out to begin with and the comparison of EA's 'NFS Rivals' that I witnessed first hand make the PS4 look pretty ordinary to me, perhaps my PC is beginning to spoil things for me and altered my vision of what is termed "NextGen"...:-)

Windows still is functionally the same software across its versions, in that it mostly 'talks' the same way to other software and hardware. This is why I can install a 14 year old game on Windows 8, Star Trek Armada, and have it run without issue.

This of course makes programming games relatively easy, you're not having to learn to walk completely again with each incarnation of Windows. Rather it's like learning a new dance routine.

So while the hardware in the One is pretty much just PC, how its operating system 'talks' to the games and the hardware is different to Windows.

Also you have to take into account that the games are running on the Xbox operating system but things like SKYPE are running in a second operating system on the console. This of courses adds extra work for developers.

So again, yes it is a software issue. As I said before the hardware in the one is as good as is it in my PC (which can run ME1 with the high resolution texture mod.) If Microsoft can sort out the software issues, then they'll be onto a winner.

8GB of RAM not next gen? That's how much I've got in my PC since I built my new one last year =(