Mass Effect 3 will reward completionists with better ending

Just something interesting from GamesRadar by mouth of the honorable Casey Hudson. I didn't read much of it to avoid any potential spoilers. But, I can say, it is good news for the completionists and is a great incentive to get people to play what the devs made for them.

I think it was the Docs of BioWare that said this over a year ago that nothing is more frustrating than puting together a nice 40+ hour game, then someone beats it in 15 hours avoiding a lot of side quests and other adventures, then whines about no DLC, well, the 25+ hours you put aside is then essentially your DLC that you already paid for, why not give that a try.

http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/mass-effect-3/news/mass-effect-3-will-reward-completionists-with-better-ending/a-201105189442162085/g-20101210143611765024

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

this seems like a no brainer considering how many decisions Mass Effect 3 will have to wrangle in the end. not sure if this is good or bad but its probably not a good thing for a lot of players

the big consequences/benefits of their decisions will be pretty hard to miss but the easter eggs in Mass Effect 2 were pretty weak, hopefully Mass Effect 3 has more than a few throwaway conversations in store

also, ppl that dont "complete" the game and whine about dlc have to be few and far between, that doesnt seem like a logical fit. ppl that finish an RPG "one-and-done" style arent likely to buy dlc

I doubt the people that don't fully complete the game and then proceed to whine about DLC are few and far between, I would bet to say that there's actually a surprising percentage of people like that.  They could purchase the DLC as well even if they are of the RPG "one-and-done" crowd if it interests them enough.

After all, it's obvious that Mass Effect 2 was focused to move more towards the shooter crowd or at least broaden the genre to include people that might not normally play a game like Mass Effect, so what the docs at BioWare said above I could fully believe given the expansion of the fan base.

I am glad that those who fully playthrough each Mass Effect game, like myself, will be rewarded for doing so for Mass Effect 3's ending as that's how it should be.  That's not being over-biased or anything, it's simply that those who do fully enjoy the game and everything about it should be rewarded for doing so.

Of course not to take anything away from the people that only play through the main storyline only and do zero side quests in both games, as if that's what they're interested in doing, then that's fine and their ending's should be on par at least and not be given disparity because they didn't fully play through the games.

But to be perfectly honest, the side quests in my view are what shapes the character you create anyhow and not just the core canon story elements you see during the main plot line, so for those that take the time to do them then again should be given the best possible ending for Mass Effect 3.

I dont think they would do that, they cant make you play the entire game. I dont do side quests, i just beat the game, then do it on the next harder difficulty. I dont whine about dlc either. The ending should be the same no matter what

I like this. Completionists FTW.

Makes sense in a way to have it like this. I am a completionist too, I don't go forward with the major part of the story(such as Virmire) until alot of the subplots are completed. Besides, the side missions are what complete Mass Effect, in my opinion.

I doubt the ending with be vastly different. I just think those who have done all the sidequest and DLC's will see a bit more that includes story points from those quests.

Obviously collecting some races to help you in the fight will be side-quests.

For instance - do you choose the quarian or the geth? or both? or none? not choosing either will it result in continued war? choosing one or the other could result in one decimating the other and becoming hero's. Choosing both they live happily ever after.

Then other races. If you decide to enlist the Krogan perhaps they become hero's again if not they may not even be mentioned at all.

Whilst what I've said above is just speculation (their stories could be completely different) I assume the ending will involve something similar depending on the species you were able to enlist.

It's clear if you don't enlist any then there will be billions dead and the humans will win but lead an almost destroyed galaxy.

Obviously they aren't going to mention all the side-quests. Stuff like whether or not L2 biotics got reperations naturally won't affect the end-game.

[quote user="THEHOPSONAT0R"]

I dont think they would do that, they cant make you play the entire game. I dont do side quests, i just beat the game, then do it on the next harder difficulty. I dont whine about dlc either. The ending should be the same no matter what

[/quote]Just as they can't make you or anyone else only play the main plot?  See how the argument can be swayed both ways.

BioWare has already stated that there will be variable endings depending on certain things.  So yes, the ending should be different for everyone, it would be quite odd for the ending to not be different depending on past choices made as that has been the entire point of the trilogy from carrying choices made throughout ME 1 and ME 2 until the ending.  Now no I do not expect the ending for those who do everything imaginable to be completely different from those who only do the main storyline quests, don't mistake what I say.

However, I do expect the ending to be much more fulfilling to those who have done everything as it does make sense.

People who have taken the time to do the side quests should have a fuller ending in context as opposed to someone like you who does not. That doesn't mean that things are or will be drastically different in how the ending will be portrayed for ME 3, it should simply give a fulfilling closure to all the choices that have been made from ME 1 and ME 2's side quests that up until this point, were basically for nothing as a majority were simply relayed through simple e-mails in Mass Effect 2.

[quote user="CrypticZer0"]But to be perfectly honest, the side quests in my view are what shapes the character you create anyhow and not just the core canon story elements you see during the main plot line, so for those that take the time to do them then again should be given the best possible ending for Mass Effect 3.[/quote]

agreed. [IMO] it also takes several playthrus for many those decisions to sink in and personalize the canon, making everyone's shepard feel different. 

sometimes those decisions have little to do with the canon and more to do with playing a game as well. a good example could be my [failed] Mass Effect asari companion cheevo hunt. 5 or 6 attempts at that cheevo has cemented Julia Shepard's canon both games so far

and if chasing that cheevo and its consequences negatively affect the finale in ME3 so be it. Kaiden will always die on Virmire no matter what, Julia will never be friendly with male members of her crew: i even have a save ready for ME3 with only female surviving cast members 

[quote user="THEHOPSONAT0R"]

[/quote]

Bioware is making you play the whole game: if you dont do loyalty missions and make some bad choices along the way you will die in Mass Effect 2 and never make it to part 3. bioware says ME3 will reward completionists differently and there should be benefits to exploring the game and experiencing as much content as possible. that said the final cut scenes probably wont vary too much but how the story comes together in the end will be very different

^ Exactly.