Mass Effect 3: The ending (Spoilers)

First off, I’m not a huge fan of the one of three choices Shepard has to make to conclude the game.  As a long time Mass Effect fan I was disappointed with the way the story ended.  Not because he dies in 2 of the 3 scenarios but why the mass effect relays had to be destroyed.   My major problem with the ending was this “epic” final battle that fell way short. 

I was disappointed with the battle sequences at the end of the game.  Let's just say for the sake of argument that you've been living under a rock and didn't play ME1 or ME2.  You spend the whole game obtaining "War Assets" which are supposed to help you for the final battle against the Reapers.  Most of the assets you obtain through the game are space fleets from different species.  I don't know about everyone else but the short little space battle at the end didn't do all your work justice.  Not by a long shot. 

Then, when the Alliance brings in the Crucible they just stroll right in to the Citadel.  Not a Reaper in sight.  I mean what the hell?  I just spent 30+ hours gathering all these assets and I got a maybe 2 minute space battle?  All they did was run interference while the Normandy tries to get to London.   I wouldn’t have been so upset with the ending if the battles had been better.  I just felt like the final conclusion to the series was in no way as good as it could have been.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Read up on some of the theories going around.

I don't need to read up on some of the theories because I understand the endings.  My chief complaint was that there wasn't enough battle sequences shown at the end of the game.  

BioWare pulled a dirty one on all of us -- and indeed, but especially on us loyal fans -- I guess they've always planned to have an ending DLC of some sort to possibly conclude or to expand on the current ending.

Spoilers ahead......

Anyway, I have a question that's been bugging the farquard out of me. When I first completed the game my Total Effective Military Strength was around the 6887 range.  I didn't get a good ending, but still I completed all of the assignments and everything except the multiplayer games, with the galactic readiness ratings at 50%.

Now that I've completed some multiplayer games and my readiness rating is at 84% this effectively this brings my EMS to about 5785. So I restarted the game from the section where Shepard gets blasted by Harbinger.

With those EMS stats above, I have started the game from the save point where Shepard gets blasted by Harbinger, however, I still can't get the ending where Shepard draws his last breath. Or do I gotta start the game from where I attack the Cerberus Headquarters to get that ending? My Paragon is full BTW.

As I said, this is driving me bonkers, and if anyone can shed light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated. 

[quote user="Ghost of Kirin"]

BioWare pulled a dirty one on all of us -- and indeed, but especially on us loyal fans -- I guess they've always planned to have an ending DLC of some sort to possibly conclude or to expand on the current ending.

Spoilers ahead......

Anyway, I have a question that's been bugging the farquard out of me. When I first completed the game my Total Effective Military Strength was around the 6887 range.  I didn't get a good ending, but still I completed all of the assignments and everything except the multiplayer games, with the galactic readiness ratings at 50%.

Now that I've completed some multiplayer games and my readiness rating is at 84% this effectively this brings my EMS to about 5785. So I restarted the game from the section where Shepard gets blasted by Harbinger.

With those EMS stats above, I have started the game from the save point where Shepard gets blasted by Harbinger, however, I still can't get the ending where Shepard draws his last breath. Or do I gotta start the game from where I attack the Cerberus Headquarters to get that ending? My Paragon is full BTW.

As I said, this is driving me bonkers, and if anyone can shed light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated. 

[/quote]

look it up on yotube ... it's really not worth all that effort just to see a 2.3 second clip of someone who might be shepard possibly taking what might be a breath ( i happen to think it's a badger trying to escape the dead body that just fell from orbit on top of it )

i seriously doubt that bioware planned to relegate the ending to DLC ... i truly believe they didn't - they seemed legitimately surprised and taken aback by the overwhelmingly negative feedback ... of course now they have little choice in the matter - so at this point whatever DLC they may have had planned, however awesome it may have been, has to be scrapped or delayed in order to appease the people whining about how bad the ending was ...

don't get me wrong, the ending WAS horrible ... but who cares?  have you ever read a Stephen King novel? 

and people obviously enjoyed playing the games, so what's the harm done?  do you picket the carnival because you didn't like how the roller coaster ended?  do you demand that the track be rebuilt with more loops at the end? no ... that would be stupid.  you raise the bar, step off the coaster, grab a coney, and move on to the next ride ...

think back to me1, and me2 ... did those games have 'good' endings?   uh .. NO ... the first one ended with a movie poster of shepard standing in front of some planet, and the second one ended with shepard looking at a picture of a reaper ... the only thing that kept people from freaking out about those is that they knew another game was around the corner ... now we don't have that luxury

mass effect is a story ... and what good is a story without an end, good or bad? 

Ah, I actually didn't think much of the ending. I didn't mind it. Since I could kinda piece everything together somewhat. However, in saying that though, I do see why some folks deemed it bad. It left so many things in the open, which is why I kinda concluded, prematurely perhaps, that some sort of an DLC package was in the works to expand on certain parts of the ending.

And as for this humorous banter on a badger nestling inside Shepard's armor, I think I'll forget about going for the perfect ending then... Seeing as it's only a few seconds for so much effort. In saying that though, the multiplayer aspect of the game is actually solid in my view. Basic but fun!

I got to say though, this is the only Mass Effect game where I doubt I'll be replaying it as much as the previous two. I played ME 2 for over a year... Mostly because the darn journal lacked a proper system in keeping us updated on the assignments we were meant to do. That got me cursing like a sailor out loud so many times, I don't care to remember.

Still, for all its worth, it is a good game. If a bit rushed...

I thought the ending was fine. Untill I compared it to the previous ME games then it comes up very short. Then I thought because the ending was such rubbish it must've been intentional and I've been sitting here waiting for my ending DLC to arrive on the marketplace so I can buy it like a muppet.

I thoroughly enjoyed the fleet battle scenes. Even though the best battle tactic that Shephard and the combined galactic fleets could come up with was lining up like redcoats in front of a superior enemy and firing volleys at them before general madness ensued. And how did the organics fire first if the Reapers were so much more advanced? Oh well.

As for the previous posters roller coaster comparison........If said Roller coaster ride cost over $NZ300, took over 100 hours over three installments and people were disappointed with it, I wouldn't argue with them for complaining about it.

Just my 2 cents.

well if a rollercoaster cost that much, and took that long ... i would argue they have every right to complain about a roller coaster costing $300 and taking 100 hours to finish ... or for that matter a $1.50 video game that took 3 minutes to finish ... but video games being what they are, and roller coasters being what they are, i feel the analogy is still fairly valid

and i'm not saying people don't have the right to complain ... but i would caution them that sometimes you get what ask for - or more apropo: sometimes you get what somebody else THINKS you're asking for (hence the ending we DID get)

the space battle WAS cool, though!