Mass Effect 2 Disk Error/unplayable

Back around January, my disk drive on my original console finally gave out. Purchasing a used console, I transferred my hard drive to it, making it so that a lot of my games could only be played while logged on to XBox live, since I wasn't able to transfer the licenses yet. That in itself wasn't a problem, and worked with all my games. However, with Mass Effect 2, I could play only up to a point. Upon first boarding the Normandy, I could walk around the main deck, go up to the Captain's Quarters, or go down to the engineering deck. Trying to go to the third deck, Miranda's quarters and Medical, and it would pop up saying disk unreadable, clean the disk and restart the system. I thought that was odd, considering that I had the game installed to the hard drive. Got the same message if I skipped going to that deck and tried to travel anywhere.

Deleted the game from the hard drive, and tried it again, getting the same result. Cleared the cache on the hard drive, and even got a brand new copy of the game, all resulting in the same error at the same place.

Thinking that perhaps it was just a DLC issue or something with license issues, not allowing the game to progress even though I was logged in to XBox Live, I finally got the licenses transferred to new console, redownloaded everything purchased, and tried again.

Same result. Plays fine up until getting on board the Normandy and trying to visit Crew deck. If it was happening on the original disk, I could see that it might in fact be scratched, but since It's a brand new copy of the came, I find it hard to believe that it could be scratched in the same exact place resulting in the same error.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

How far into the game is this scene? Would you be able to create a new file (or use a different profile), to see if the issue occurs there as well?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Right at the start of the game, upon getting control of the Normandy. Tried new games on the same profile with the same result, though haven't tried starting a game on a different profile yet.

Sorry this didn't help.

Different profile results in same error. Can't progress any further upon completing the Freedom's Progress mission.

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, have you tried the game without the HDD attached at all? If not, go ahead and give that a go.

If that still doesn't do the trick, you'll want to try the game on a different console, such as a friend's. If the game works there, then we'll known the issue is with the console. You can eliminate the HDD as the root of the cause, too, if you try it on the friend's console as well (with ME2).

Please let me know how it goes!

Sorry this didn't help.

Purchased a used copy of the game yesterday. Worked on another console. Put it in mine, installed it to the HDD, tried playing, and got the same error at the same place. All the other games I've played work fine, and the three copies of Mass Effect 2 now have some sort of etched ring on them near the center.

Sorry this didn't help.

Was a problem with the HD, as worked without it. Got a new HD, transferred content to it, and everything worked fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

i have that issue, but when i first got the game back when it came out it worked fine.. i completed it 3 times

im trying to play it now and it comes up with that very message at that same point in the game. My disk is fine wtf

Sorry this didn't help.