Mass Effect 1 - Game freezes frequently with "Disc cannot be read", can't install to HDD (fails ~34% with disc read error)

When I got to a late portion of the game, I hit a spot of scripted sequences that triggered an unreadable (on my console only) portion of the play disk.  I can't skip past that section, but it will reload and play any other save points, as well as starting a new game without issue.  There are zero blemishes on the physical media, and I have cleaned the lens on the drive.  The system HAS had sporadic disk-read issues throughout the previous 60 hours of playing the game (it would occasionally freeze during a load sequence but restarting always resolved), but this is persistent and unpassable.  I attempted to install the game to the hard drive, but it fails (repeatedly) around 34-35% completion.  I have tried removing/reseating the hdd, clearing cache, cleaning disk and lens.   

My next thought was to try installing to my hdd from aonother console.  So, I asked my neighbor if they could try taking my hard drive and game and installing it to the hard drive using their 360 console, which succeeded with zero issues.  However, when I put the drive back in my system (even with the original game dvd still in the tray and launching normally), I get  a lecture telling me that I can only run that installed version from the console that it was installed from, completely defeating the effort.  

Is there a legitimate reason why, if I have the game in the drive still, there is some conflict with running an installed version of the exact same content that my console apparently is otherwise unable to read effectively?

Any suggestions or feedback would be most welcome.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

It might have something to do with your console itself, depending on the age of it. It could also be the disk, as some disks can experience problems with age.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.