Making Money in Skyrim

Can someone comment on how easy, diificult it is to acquire gold from the start? How soon (cheap/expensive) before you can purchase your first home? Are vendors stengy with gold like in Oblivion? Any mudcrab vendors? ;0) Thx.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I saw some videos, and it showed the value of some objects varying from 70 Septims to 2,500. I know when you slay a dragon their bones alone are 200 Septims (I saw him search a dragon in the video). I don't know if you can buy a home from the start, I hope so. It'd be pretty cool if they let you choose what home you want, like buying someone out of their home, and they'd move somewhere else in the city. But it'll probably be like in Oblivion, one house in each city available for purchase. Unless they made it where you can purchase a few from each city. I only saw one video of someone bartering; and it was with a hunter in the middle of the woods by a stream. He was selling and buying belts, meat, and what looked like bones. I hope I helped. :)

Be a female character and work them corners lol.

Buying your first house is easy enough, but to get it really quickly you'll have to be easy on what you buy. A house I've found is 5, 000 and I'm over that at the moment.

Any house cheaper than 5K gold and where is this house located that you found? Any houses for sale in Riverwood?

pretty sure there are houses in every major city, you need to talk to the jarls assistant in said major cities, to buy a house.

I don't see a need for money just yet.  100% drops from dragons are a few dragon bones and a few scales. The dragon bones are 500 each and the scales are 250 each but they both weight a lot so i would advise you to sell them straight away.

For some very early quickie cash, get a wood axe off the outdoor table and chop firewood.  Sell it to the guy at the sawmill for 60 a load.  Really helped getting my initial stuff in the first town.  The firewood chop is only 3 swings of the axe and takes only a few seconds so its a quick way to build up some very early cash.

How do you get vendors to buy items closer to thier actual value? I've had a few things worth about 900 and I only got 300 for them. Is it related to the speech skill? If so, how do you level that up?

Prices seem steep from the markets/shops i've been. Hard to get gold at first, I'm always spending or training.

* It's taking a while to upgrade/smith weapons too o.0

Good tip on the firewood. I've only been able to find one location to mine iron ore. That was in the bandit lair retrieving Gold Claw. Anyone find more locations to mine iron ore or other metals? I'm really interested in mining since you can mine gold, ebony and all kinds of metals.