Magic Discussion/Advice

Before I start my Magic based character I need some advice and am hoping the community would be more than happy to discuss this with me.  What I wish to discuss is types of Magic builds and what would be fun.

=====

The main type of build I wish to do is a Necromage.  I have googled and found some guides on what perks benefit the Necromage perk.  What I wish to discuss is how to utilize Necromage.

=====

I plan on going the Vampire Lord route since my Archer/Assassin went with Werewolf.  I honestly have no clue whether I should be a Necromancer, Destruction based Necromage or if there is another type of build that utilizes Necromage the most effective.  I would ask what race benefits it but there isn't a point since no matter what races work best I will probably wind up just picking the one I like.

=====

Anyone that has any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I wish to go into this magic based character without wanting to delete it a few hours in because I didn't know what I was doing.  Also I know that I am supposed to take Necromage BEFORE becoming a vampire and taking any of the perks that benefit.  If there is some other perk I should take before or after taking Necromage I would appreciate the heads up.  Thanks for reading and I look forward to discussing my next character ^.^

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

talk to trolldemart

Was planning on him showing up eventually.  Just waiting patiently.

This is kind of what I am considering atm:

theskyrimblog.ning.com/.../character-build-the-chaos-lich-necro-nightblade

=====

It basically does what I want and takes Necromage.  I still don't know if I would want to use non-light armor with magical properties or if I should just say screw it and go with light armor like the Vampire Armor.  Instead of Runes though I am considering doing actual destruction magic although I am unsure whether to go fire or frost.  With this build attacking Dragons would be an issue for awhile.

=====

Working with a calculator now to see what I want to do.

Came across another build I might try:

theskyrimblog.ning.com/.../character-build-the-rune-king

=====

I would tweak it to where instead of getting Archery and Conjuration Perks I would focus more on the 2h aspect when things get serious.  After looking at the pic I just imagined a Destruction/Two Handed type of character and it definately looks like it would be fun.

=====

Sorry for posting myself multiple times, just updating as I go.

I've decided to go with a Necromage/Necromancer type Warlock for playthrough 2.  Decided to do a Breton, chose female since it's so freaking difficult to make a good looking male.  Googling sliders doesn't help except for pc stuff or wanting to look like an NPC.  Would've gone with another Dark Elf but I want diversity with each of my playthroughs.

=====

My next playthrough I planned on doing a 2h character anyways so I will be trying out the Rune Knight posted above but use Dragon Scale or possibly some of the new stuff from the Dragonborn DLC.  Still open to suggestions though and discussion :D

Helooo. Sorry for the long wait, i was sleeping. Its goo to see you went with a Breton. Most people like Altmer as their mages but they have a weakness to magic that will only get emphisised with necromage. There are ways around it but it just requires more work imo. I see you have done your homework too.Any questions in perticular? I dont carry weapons around with me with my build but rarther use bound weapons. Getting your restoration to 70 is your biggest goal and i found a aise zombie spell with Turn lesser undead is your best friend. You can usually squeeze a level per zombie in resto. Protip; cast the turn lesser undead spell then let the zombie stagger and stan straight before casting another otherwise it will run away. Also try and get the magika regen perk in resto and the novice and appretice resto peks quickly too. Open to all questions :)

I've recently started a mage character also. I'm leaning towards the illusion side of the magics, prefering to calm my enemies. It's prooving to be quite a challenge at lower levels, I find myself having to get enemies to turn on each other or them convientetly finding a 'natural' death. Rather fun.

The magic weakness is in previous ES games. In Skyrim that weakness isn't there anymore.

Jameser has it right, Altmer's don't have the weakness anymore.  They just get more starting mana and the mana regen racial once a day.  But while creating my character I actually decided to go with an Altmer for my Necromage due to the next character I am wanting to do which is that Rune King I posted above.  It would suit a Breton better and I don't want to use the same race more than once.

=====

Though the more I think about how the Rune King would play being a 2h user as well as a Mage via using Rune magic I just can't help but wait on the Necromage and go with the Rune Mage.  Thinking of a Breton wearing Nordic armor or one of the new armors from the Dragonborn DLC just has me excited.  I honestly don't know who to go with first Q_Q

Alrighty, got my Altmer Necromage sitting at level 3 wearing Thalmor equipment and she is staying where she is for now.  About to fire up this Rune Knight and give it a whirl.  Here is my build plan.

=====

Race: Breton - Female

Stone: Lover to level - Apprentice/Atronarch once I'm done with my primary skills

Major Skills: Destruction, Smithing, Two Handed and Heavy Armor

Minor Skill: Alteration, Restoration, Sneak, Enchanting

=====

I plan on putting enough perks into smithing to get up to Advanced Armors to make my Nordic gear.  Considering going to Dragonbone though.

-----

With Destruction I plan on going Novice-Expert, Rune Master, all augmented perks and dual casting.

-----

Two Handed I plan on going 5/5 Barbarian, 3/3 Deep Wounds, Champion's Stance and Devastating Blow.  Not sure if I want to get Sweep and Warmaster yet.

-----

With Heavy Armor I am still unsure here.  I don't know whether I should focus the left side in order to get Conditioning so I won't be weighed down or get the whole tree so I can have more armor, no weight and the 10% chance to reflect blows.  Still need advice on that part.

-----

With Sneak I mainly plan to go 1/5 Stealth, Muffled Movement and Light Foot

=====

This is where it gets tricky.  Now I am not 100% sure if this playstyle would work well being a Vampire Lord or not.  Seeing as I wish to sneak around and use magic via Runes/Walls as well as 2h combat for close encounters I could see some benefit.  Although I am not 100% sure.  With that said should I go the VL route then my continued build would be as follows.

-----

Alteration, the plan is to take Novice-Expert Alteration to snag Atronarch.  Now I don't plan on getting it first, I plan on getting Necromage BEFORE I get Atronarch so it would be increased.  I also plan on getting Magic Resistance 3/3.

-----

With Restoration I plan on going Novice, Regeneration then Necromage.  I also plan on getting Respite and 2/2 Recovery for mana regen which would help alot.  Unsure if I would go Apprentice and Adept Restoration, it depends on what main healing means I would use.

-----

And finally Enchanting.  This is a 50/50 decision as I don't know if I would want to OP myself further by taking this route.  If I did I would be going from 5/5 Enchanter straight up the middle to Extra Effect.  I have yet to EVER use Enchanting on any character I have made and am unsure whether I should use it on this toon or wait to use it on my Necromage/Necromancer.

=====

This is what the final build looks like:

skyrimcalculator.com/223579

Now with that said is there any additional advice on this build?  Would I be better off sticking to light armor instead of going for the Nord armor?  Should I care about putting any perks into Heavy Armor at all?  Feel free to critique :D