Low Entertainment Value Due to Matchmaking+Hit Detection

Imagine playing Monopoly and one player takes two turns for every turn by other players. Or playing American football where one team gets 6 downs while the opposing team gets only 4. That's the state of Ghosts' entertainment value as a "game". It's simply not competitive and not much fun in its current state.

<br><br>

Repeatedly, a combination of the matchmaking system and the hit detection system means that one team can score hits quite easily while the opposing team gets hit markers but inflicts no damage. Immediately after the midnight release things ran pretty well.  But as the Ghosts population grew the matchmaking systems and/or dedicated servers have broken down.  One session you're invincible and the next you're shooting marshmallows. In either case it's not fun. It's not fun to roll over an opponent simply due to your connection to the host and it's not fun to face a hopeless situation.  A game's outcome should be in doubt at the start and not determined by a game's underlying code.

<br><br>

The weird part is that the matchmaking system makes things worse.  It appears to place players with a good ping to the host on his team. It's host advantage on steroids as one entire team has a superior connection to the host.

<br><br>

To be entertaining games should be both challenging and balanced. At the moment, too often Ghosts is not balanced and that can make it really boring.  BF4 has enough issues that I still haven't bought it in the hopes that Activision would deliver a superior product that included dedicated servers. But now it appears that there are so few servers available the vast majority of Activision customers are stuck with the old p2p system and its inherent problems.  Other than that Ghosts is awesome. It's just not a fun game much of the time.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I dont think the dedis are up yet, not sure there........ but so far I'd say I've enjoyed the best connection in 5 or 6 years I've been playing. And I dont mean Io get host adbvantage or benefit in any way. I just dont see much bs. It seems that whoever shoots first wins.

there will always be host advantage even with dedicated servers

Uh, no.

I'm glad i'm not alone on this. I am not saying i preferred BO2, but i played it a lot. For a longer duration than previous CoD's. I was playing BO2 up to the day before Ghosts released. And i have to say the timing/lag compensation/whatever it is/ is absolutely whacked. I've toughed out most CoD's but this just isn't fun. I get no indication i'm being shot, just dead. The same guy that just killed me can be camping a window with just his head peaking out. I then shoot him four or so times in, what on my screen is his head, before he ducks around a corner then pops out and kills me.

This all seems like deja vu. I can remember complaining about the difference in timing and the spawns at the beginning of every CoD launch. It must be they eventually work out the bugs. But the two things i notice a lot are the lag competency and getting enemies spawning behind me. I get shot in the back over and over and i can watch the person spawn in my killcam. Ugh.

How is it that this crap never happened with Halo 2?

I agree TOG.  The has almost run great since I got on this morning.  I also take all this great game play and connection with a grain of salt. It is all good today but every COD game is good today, crappy tomorrow, a bit better the next week and back to crappy with in hours. With expierence and years of cod gaming I have finally realized it IS a connection based game at its core. With this realization came an understanding of how to play cod and roll with the punches. As I stated in another thread. Your offense is dictated by your opponents offense and your defense dictates how you can attack.

I have been having a good time while posting a decent k/d. Most of all my connection(knock on wood) has been amazing.

I bought a quality of service (QoS) router because of previous generations of this game and i haven't updated the QoS in a while. Just did, so we'll see if that helps.

For those not familiar, a QoS router enables you to dictate priority for devices connected both wireless and wiredto the router. I noticed last night when my lady started streaming a movie in the other room things got real ugly.

I run a Netgear AC1450 ( not that I can really take advantage of it fully) and with the computer running , 2 TV's and lots of smartphones have no issues with connection quality. My internet is Comcast so it pretty much hums. I saw a huge improvement in connection on the XBOX ever since upgrading router from a Netgear 300. Noticed it more so in Blackops - I would almost certainly get host every time.

Connection was sweet last night,Seems very BO2ish though tonight.Roll on X1 and dedi's!

So back to IW's awesome matchmaking, thanks. Until we get dedicated servers, I GUESS IM THE $%#@*(& HOST, Ahem. I really do feel like putting torrents on. Really though, where's the dedi's?