Loving this game.

While this game is by no means better than the other entries for the series, I am loving the game itself.  I love the way you encounter each of the assassins in such a unique way.  It is pretty sweet the way they introduced new types of enemies to keep the battle system familiar, yet new when it comes to challenge.  I have been really enjoying the story.  My only gripes have been a couple audio glitches and a frozen B-Man.  Outside of that this game got a 9/10 for me.  Now I just got to try multiplayer.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

If I have to give a numerical rating, a 7.5/10 or 8/10 for me. Partly because of too many technical glitches (the game freezes a lot and sometimes controls in combat don't feel as good as in the previous Arkham games... or maybe it's just me). The multiplayer is kind of a mixed bag... the idea is interesting, but the hero team in my opinion is at a disadvantage (the elite mook characters have a limited detective vision so you're not as invisible as in the main game) and the servers are sloooow...

i have only played a few hours and i am loving every minute of it! no glitches so far (knock on wood) i give it a 9 out of 10 so far!

[quote user="boot61"]

i have only played a few hours and i am loving every minute of it! no glitches so far (knock on wood) i give it a 9 out of 10 so far!

[/quote]

Same here, I had it freeze on me once during the Firefly fight but that's it.  The Gliding isn't quite as smooth as 'City's was, it seems as though there's not as many edges and angles in which to lock onto with the Grapnel Accelerator, but having said that, the larger vertical scope (because of the taller skyline) allows for bigger dives that you can lift yourself out of in order to gain greater altitude, so in that respect they improved on that as well.  Sure, the game could've used some more QA time, but I don't mind the rough edges for it's truly a great story with strong characters.  The "crown jewel" for me is the fabulous open roam environment that 'City' doesn't even rival, but to be fair, half of it IS 'Arkham City'!  My only other complaint is that I have trouble seeing the Bat Signal at times because of the taller buildings, but that's about it, I give it the same as I would 'Asylum' (9/10) while 'City' tops them both (9.5/10) for me...:-) 

I think that Arkham Origins is a great game but not better than either of the two before it. I give Origins a 8/10 behind Asylum at 9/10 and City at 9.5/10. I love some of the different villains that Origins introduced like Deathstroke (who was my favorite boss fight so far), Copperhead. But I feel like some of the assassin fights were just too boring, too short, or felt like a regular fight with regular thugs (don't want to spoil anything for anyone so won't say which bosses I feel this about). Out of the six assassins that I have faced, only three of them felt like a real boss battle. Another issue with this game is that there aren't as many villains as I thought there would be. I thought it would be the eight assassins plus a bunch of other villains to be featured on the Most Wanted. Some of the assassins appear on the Most Wanted, which I feel took up space for other villains that could have been in the game. But I love the story so far. Great interactions with Alfred, especially towards the end of the story. Some great stuff with The Joker.  And I feel that more of the same isn't bad. I have no problem that this game is a lot like City. In fact, I think that's how it should be. If it's not broken then don't fix it. Overall, great game that I would certainly recommend.

Well the combat is definitely broken in this one compared to the other two.  I have to counter non stop.  Its like I can literally never go on the attack because I am always countering and if I do go on the attack i get hit within seconds.

^^^^ How do you fight? are you just mashing X then counting when Y appears or do you do the X, AA, X , AA technique and only counting now and again because that's the best way to do it

I have played the crap out of all the Arkham games.  Got my first 1000 from the first game.  I have never had an issue with the fighting until this one.  It definitely does not have the same fluid feeling to it.

the combat does feel a little heavy and the camera can switch position now and again but nothing major first fight in this game I knocked out a combo of 50x plus without any difficulty and one of the challenge tracks is to have a 50x combo with a 20 move variation and again had little trouble getting that so it cant be that bad

[quote user="TODDY BY NATURE"]

the combat is definitely broken in this one

[/quote]

I don't agree, it's definitely a little different feel than what we've become accustomed to but it's certainly not "broken".  Once you've entered 'FreeFlow Focus' (X12) it's pretty much business as usual and I've had no trouble racking up the Combo Meter, have you unlocked the 'FreeFlow Focus' Upgrade yet?  I also like the way they made Countering more of an integral part to the Combat, if you're being jumped by a dozen or more thugs you should expect to be bombarded by their attacks, not have them take turns and watch each other to the rhythm of your button mashing...:-)

Technical Issues aside, this game is excellent and actually surpasses its predecessors on many fronts.

1)  The Batcave:  Easily the better rendition when compared to 'Asylum' & 'City's versions respectively.  A downsized version on Arkham Island and 'City's Challenge Map tribute don't compare to 'Origins's in "feel" and interactivity.  Alfred's dialogue, in particular, is very well done and be sure to keep conversing with him even after the 'Thanks, old friend' achievement pops for he still adds much more afterwards.

2)  Challenge Mode:  One of my favourite aspects of all three games is the Challenge Arena, but WB Montreal definitely made some improvements here.  I like the system of where you need to get Campaign Medals etc. to unlock the other maps to continue which help break the, at times, laborious nature of trying to achieve all the medals, the maps from the previous titles required you to progress in the story farther plus solve riddles to unlock them all.  The Villain themed Challenges (which was first explored in 'City' with Black Mask during the 'Robin Bundle Pack' in addition to the 'Riddler's Revenge') is a most welcome perk, the Mad Hatter themed 'Checking Out' Predator Challenge set inside the Royal Hotel is my favourite so far.

3)  The Main Story:  One of my biggest concerns with games beyond 'City' was Warner's decision to abandon Paul Dini as Writer moving forward, few people have influenced Batlore to the extent that Paul Dini has, which dates back long before the Arkham games were even thought of.  But having said that, this story boasts of such stellar writing that it even outclasses the previous two stories' plots, in my opinion.  I found more conjecture and background with the characters than before and the characters MAKE the story in my books, so I give this game the edge in writing as well.

Bottom line for me is that there's not much separating all three of these games, each game does some things better than the other two, but one thing all three of them hold for me is that they'll continue to provide countless hours of gaming bliss for as long as my 360 holds out, I can certainly think of worse ways to spend $60...:-)