Looking for tips for Ornstein and Smough

So, after a bit of playing I've finally changed up my gear set and have progressed through the game at a fairly good speed, but now I'm at a roadblock. I can't seem to beat Smough and Ornstein. I kill Ornstein first and save Smough for last, and I always manage to get him to about 25% health, and then he always manages to pull some shenanigans that kill me. I avoid his attacks, roll in and hit him once and roll out. I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. I use only melee, so there are no miracles or pyromancies involved. My armor consists of:

• Full Giants +3
  • Black Knight Shield +3
  • Lightning Zweihander +2
  • Havel's Ring
  • Ring of Favor and Protection [I think that's the name, got it from Lautrec]
  • SL 65ish with 36 STR, 30 END, and 20 VIT

I can tank some hits, but it eventually overcomes me. Also note that I usually summon Solaire, but he likes to sit right under the enemy and get buttslammed, so meh. I have tried this boss 3 times only to get the same exact result.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 24, 2018 Views 16 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Use a shield with high stability so you can block his charge attack with only using a little endurance. I honestly think the Zweihander is an awsome weapon, but it might be to slow for this fight. I used a lightning spear to kill Smough very easily. He hates lightning and fire.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

I generally roll with the lightning ring with these two because their lightning butt slams deal some serious damage and the AOE if pretty big if you don't get out of the way in time.. also good to have a shield with high stability, and armor with lightning resist. Summon Solaire and other phantoms for assistance (there are usually quite a few summon signs at the bonfire before these 2).

It sounds like you're doing all you can. Usually with bosses in this game its just try, and try again.

If you use a +15 Eagle Shield against these two, they'll never touch you.  I've stood right at ground zero for the lightning butt slam, and lost only a single pip of health as long as the Eagle is up.  Best shield in the game for non-strength builds.  Counter with a fire weapon or a fireball, and it will be over fast.  As long as you're not taking too many physical attacks that rely on stability, the base level Eagle will still provide a lot of protection from the lightning.  Almost anyone you summon to help will be loaded up for them, so try grabbing a sign.

At least on NG+ this "fight" is pure BS.

Just tried this 6 times in a row only to have fat boy spam his charging hammer and do nothing else. Every time I dodge his charge attack he just keeps getting closer and closer until it doesn't matter if I dodge since he is right on top of me.

Can't even enter the fog gate with my health intact. As soon as I step through Orstein instant hits me with his slide dash, tried blocking with eagle shield and he breaks right through it and hits me while I am stunned, try dodging and he hits me in any part of the dodge animation I am in. I always start this fight at half health.

I can't even summon the Sunbro to help me. His sign just isn't there even though he is in Anor Londo. Just sitting at the fire telling me he would be happy to help if I need it.. but no sign is there ever.

Probably an obvious question but are you human?

Yea... I don't know if it matters BUT I kept getting invaded.. would that affect if the summon sign is there or not?

Really Smough was just making me rage... I know he only has like 4 attacks. He just never used any of the other 3.... he just charged, charged, charged, until I was dead.

I think I just need to make some coffee and relax... then try again. Smough was really getting on my nerves. At least Ornstein I learned to get him stuck behind pillars or Smough (after his first slide attack)

Things I THINK I need to do:

Upgrade Eagle shield

Go back to make sure the Sunbro is progressing through the game

Find some armor for lightning defense.

Damn son, you are in a pinch there. Also, if solaire isn't there, then you must didn't summon him during the GAPING DRAGON fight in blight town. I notice that those who I've played with, when they summon him at the gaping dragon and defeat the dragon, he's there at Anor londo too. Maybe it's just a fluke, but that's what I've noticed, this same thing happens with beatrice with the butterfly boss and the four kings.

Before you fight these dudes, I suggest you wear lighter armor and be as quick as possible, wear the wood grain ring or havels ring or the fathers mask or something to make you move as fast as possible. Also, upgrade your shields too. Look in your inventory and look for shields that have high STABILITY. When you upgrade your shield, your upgrading that stability. I turn my shields to crystal as thats the only element that increases your stability further than normal +15, but the thing is that the duration SUCKS on crystal shields and they CANT be repaired...........UNLESS you have the repair spell...........But since you haven't beaten anor londo chances are you aint got anything to +15 nor have the crystal ember. So If I was you, i'd fight those black knights, or silver knights, get one of their shields and buy like 9 twinkling titanites and upgrade them joints to +5. That black knight shield will give you a 74 stability at +5. That's INCREDIBILITY HIGH and it would go a LONG way in the amount of stamina you lose when you get hit by one of their attacks.

Upgrade your stuff people.

Maybe the Gaping Dragon thing is true.

I had originally skipped it.  Went to blighttown through the back door. But I needed souls so I went back there and the Sunbro sign was there and I used him to kill the dragon (and get the weapon this time too)

So after that upgraded the Eagle Shield to +10 (don't have the ember to go to +15), got an armour combo that gave me 250 lightning defense, went back to Anor Londo and his sign was there now. Sunbro really made a big difference. I just beat Smough and Giant Ornstein.

Can't wait to get to the merchant to buy Ornsteins armour I love the look of it.

For sure any other play through I am kill Ornstein first. Maybe because it was the first play through but killing Ornstein first was way easier than dealing with him while going after Smough.

I used The Great Shield of Artorias and it blocks Smoughs charge attack with no damage.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!