Lockpicking - why?

Love this game but this infuriates me. I've got to the stage now where if I see a chest or door that needs to be lock picked....I just don't bother....

Thoughts?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm almost at that point too but I can't resist picking any locks on chests or doors because you never know what kind of loot is just waiting to be discovered. I really hate master or expert locks lol.

I love lockpicking, but I preferred it in Oblivion... it was more fun. I also prefer it in Fallout (Skyrim uses Fallout's lockpicking style) but picks are WAY too weak in Skyrim.

Try buying lots of picks from Tonilia, Thieve's Guild Fence.

The best stuff is in the locked chests or rooms. Frankly, picking the locks is not that difficult. The sweet spot is somewhere in the 180 deg semi arc. Do a random test every 45 deg. If you prod carefully enough, you might not even break the pick. Finally, when you get movement, you know you're close. Just a little + or - from that spot should do it.

It's just so frustrating. I'm bombing along through a dungeon then it's just...stop. It's tedious. In the next game I'd like to see a perk whereby if you've achieved a certain level you should just be able to open them up...? What do you think?

-

My neighbour came around last night to show me where to find some dragonbone armour...(except I wasn't an high enough level and it wasn't there)...and he made it look easy. I'm there going slow...waiting for the ***...turning...I do open them but it takes me for ever..........what am I doing wrong?

[quote user="ChainSmokingBob"]

I love lockpicking, but I preferred it in Oblivion... it was more fun. I also prefer it in Fallout (Skyrim uses Fallout's lockpicking style) but picks are WAY too weak in Skyrim.

[/quote]

You know, I still haven't given Fallout the attention it deserves. I found the combat boring (aim for the head etc) and there was never enough ammo. Do you have any tips? I'm going to have to play it again soon.....and enslaved......and Batman: Arkham City......I'm just so into the open world stuff now I can't stop playing them!!

I love picking locks . . . it makes me feel so sneaky. >:)

I love the lockpicking of Fallout 3, NV and Skyrim. It's relaxing and easy. And easy xp/levels!! I hate the oblivion lockpicking though...

I like lockpicking and it's fairly easy once you get the hang of it, so it doesn't really bother me. I try to pick everything I can, even doors/gates that I know have absolutely nothing in them just for the extra skill increase.

[/quote]I found the lockpicking in Oblivion to get annoying after a while; I think Fallout 3 got it right, but the lock should have been bigger in Skyrim like it was in Fallout 3 and New Vegas so you can see it better (it's darker due to the coloring and much smaller).  Then again, I'd just prefer a simple check over a mini-game, or the option to open chests with some sort of enchantment or spell, but I digress

Anyway, I saw what Bethesda was going for with the "weaker" lockpicks.  See, the difficulty-based locks were kind of restrictive, lessened the importance of in-between values of Lockpicking, and were unrealistic (that is to say, whether or not a lock is harder, you could still technically open it with enough time).  However, if every lock could be opened at a low skill level, it would render the skill useless.  To compensate, they allowed you to open any chest at any skill level, but gave you less tries to do so.  In other words, your lockpicks aren't weaker so much as your skill level is reflected more.  If your skill level is equal to or around the lock's difficulty, you'll get three tries like in Fallout 3 or New Vegas.  However, if your skill level is way above the lock's difficulty, you'll get more tries, which New Vegas actually did (albeit, they kept the lock ranks just as stringent).  And conversely, if your skill level is way below the lock's difficulty, your lockpick will break on one or two tries.  This isn't always the case, but I've found that it happens 95% of the time, and it actually works pretty well and restores some depth to lockpicking skills so props, Bethesda

Also, to the OP, if you really hate lockpicking, I'd recommend acquiring the Skeleton Key and never returning it.  You won't be able to complete the Thieves Guild questline until you return it, but you'll net yourself an unbreakable lockpick without having to invest time into the skill to get the perk that makes all of your lockpicks unbreakable (and the Skeleton Key is way better than the perks you can get from completing the questline; I kind of regret turning it in).  It makes lockpicking a joke

[quote user="Snotty Chunks"]

[/quote]

You know, I still haven't given Fallout the attention it deserves. I found the combat boring (aim for the head etc) and there was never enough ammo. Do you have any tips? I'm going to have to play it again soon.....and enslaved......and Batman: Arkham City...... I'd finish this before anything else; Fallout is great an all, but Arkham City is shorter and incredibly rewarding I'm just so into the open world stuff now I can't stop playing them!!

[/quote]Are you talking about Fallout 3 and New Vegas?  Because you can find plenty of ammo in the former, and you'll eventually accumulate a lot of ammo in the latter, but it's part of the challenge regardless.  Investing points in Guns or Small Guns should help though.  Aiming at the head isn't really any different than repeatedly bashing someone with a sword in Skyrim, but you could try a melee or unarmed character if you want to mix it up.  And if you're talking about New Vegas, crank up the difficulty and enable hardcore mode and combat should become more challenging.  Or just don't use VATS (and definitely don't take the Grim Reaper's Sprint perk in Fallout 3 if you find the combat too easy)