LOCKED - Ranked multiplayer 1v1 huge mess

Ok, first of all, so far I like the game, aside from not being able to determine my land ratio in the deck editor (what gives!). Then I decided to try do some multiplayer; first did a game or 10 in unranked (by accident only found out i was playing unranked because my ranking didnt register. So i finally found how to get a ranked 1v1 game (why hide the 1v1 functionality like? and why give people the option to change a 1v1 ranked game into a 2x2 wierd stuff). Only to find out that they still show which deck players are going to use causing the very annoying switheroo and last second switching (with changing your ready status).

Ok finally action time...
win 1... errrr... opponent disconnected.... ok happens i guess so lets try again....
win 2.... opponent disconnected.... wth, not a single disconnect in all the unranked games mind you.... try again...
win 3.... opponent disconnected... WHAT!!!
loss 1.... all is fine. right.
and so on... in the end i managed to play a finish couple of games that i'd won, not a single discconnect on losses.

OK so I spend about 8 hours straight playing (oops) and went to check on my ranking. WHAT!!!! Lame-@@@ trueskill system, not even won/losss/discon ratio? deck ratios? Stats in general? Good grief why not simply use the ELO system which is a very good system for ranking games like this.

So after a night of playng ranked 1v1 here's the bullet list:
1. Disconnect galore by people trying to avoid the loss.
2. Decks still show.
3. No 1v1 menu option.
4. No best out of 3 or best ouf 5 options (and rankings).
5. After each game finishes you get thrown back to the main menu on the Campaign option.
6. Trueskill based 1v1 ranking is not fun at all, ELO system much better (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system), trueskill is the free hand me down from MS for devs to make it easy to inlcude a ranking system imho. For example ranking 1. playername - 2800 elo - 50 wins - 14 losses - 3 dissconnects. Right now there is nothing to fight for as trueskill is a vague system based around averages, nice to compare skill levels terrible to rank on.
7. No stats of your and your opponents multiplayer performance.
8. Due to missing true 1v1 menu option quickmatch wihile searching for 1v1 will land you in 2v2 games, plus players can adjust a 1v1 into a 2v2.
9. AI doesnt take over as advertised (optional in unranked).

Ok let me have it, are others feeling the same about the RANKED 1v1 system or am I just a total fruitbasket?

Cheers,
David
Ps. single player gameplay is very good, also all cards seem to work as intended as far as I have seen, ability where you have to sacrifice x permanents to block a creature is the worst idea in magic ever; you allready sacrifice creatures by making them block that ability is beyond the whole base concept of magic..

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Ok, first of all, so far I like the game, aside from not being able to determine my land ratio in the deck editor (what gives!). Then I decided to try do some multiplayer; first did a game or 10 in unranked (by accident only found out i was playing unranked because my ranking didnt register. So i finally found how to get a ranked 1v1 game (why hide the 1v1 functionality like? and why give people the option to change a 1v1 ranked game into a 2x2 wierd stuff). Only to find out that they still show which deck players are going to use causing the very annoying switheroo and last second switching (with changing your ready status).

win 1... errrr... opponent disconnected.... ok happens i guess so lets try again....
win 2.... opponent disconnected.... wth, not a single disconnect in all the unranked games mind you.... try again...
and so on... in the end i managed to play a finish couple of games that i'd won, not a single discconnect on losses.

OK so I spend about 8 hours straight playing (oops) and went to check on my ranking. WHAT!!!! Lame-@@@ trueskill system, not even won/losss/discon ratio? deck ratios? Stats in general? Good grief why not simply use the ELO system which is a very good system for ranking games like this.

2. Decks still show.
3. No 1v1 menu option.
5. After each game finishes you get thrown back to the main menu on the Campaign option.
6. Trueskill based 1v1 ranking is not fun at all, ELO system much better (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system), trueskill is the free hand me down from MS for devs to make it easy to inlcude a ranking system imho. For example ranking 1. playername - 2800 elo - 50 wins - 14 losses - 3 dissconnects. Right now there is nothing to fight for as trueskill is a vague system based around averages, nice to compare skill levels terrible to rank on.
8. Due to missing true 1v1 menu option quickmatch wihile searching for 1v1 will land you in 2v2 games, plus players can adjust a 1v1 into a 2v2.

Ok let me have it, are others feeling the same about the RANKED 1v1 system or am I just a total fruitbasket?

Cheers,
David

Ps. single player gameplay is very good, also all cards seem to work as intended as far as I have seen, ability where you have to sacrifice x permanents to block a creature is the worst idea in magic ever; you allready sacrifice creatures by making them block that ability is beyond the whole base concept of magic..

Okay.. chill. This is a card game that uses more or less preconstructed basic decks. Forget about stats, the ELO system and bragging rights.

You've got some points that Wizards should look into and fix though.

Multiplayer is working fine for me. The only annoying thing is that about half of my games are against Strength of Stone (ironically, the deck I use :P) and the other half are mixed between Vampires and the UG one (which I hate more than anything... If it gets to 8 mana with the Tidewalker, it wins).

Showing decks is HUGE minus IMHO. That needs to be fixed ASAP, don't know why on earth they brought it back in Duels 2012.

yeah the showing the decks is the biggest issue of all. i have posted in the forum on wizards site begging for a patch for that hopefully if enough ppl post they will patch it like they did with the 1st game.

Another thing, IDK if this has happened to anyone else:

I was playing a game yesterday, and it skipped my precombat main phase two turns in a row, then next game skipped it a couple times sporadically.  Then it was okay for a few games, then it would start skipping phases again.  At first I thought it was some kind of lag issue or that I accidentally hit continue, but I made sure to be careful after the first time, and my opponent said it happened to him as well.

Anyone else have this issue with having your first main phase skipped??

no ive played quite a few online games and all of them have been good aside from the changing decks issue

[quote user="AKILLAthehun42"]

Another thing, IDK if this has happened to anyone else:

I was playing a game yesterday, and it skipped my precombat main phase two turns in a row, then next game skipped it a couple times sporadically.  Then it was okay for a few games, then it would start skipping phases again.  At first I thought it was some kind of lag issue or that I accidentally hit continue, but I made sure to be careful after the first time, and my opponent said it happened to him as well.

Anyone else have this issue with having your first main phase skipped??

[/quote]It skips your main phase if you don't have any playable cards in your hand. Yes it's annoying especially if you want to use an ability before combat. You kinda have to think ahead of time and press X to stop the timer to do your stuff.

Hmmm, my point is, is that Ranked multiplayer is all about bragging rights and competition. Current model will see the community die off quickly. Ie people will play the single player portion and then toss the game aside. If there is nothing to fight for (trueskill) why bother playing ranked. I may as well go play a couple of unranked games.

[quote user="DrAtomic1"]

2. Decks still show.
3. No 1v1 menu option.

Cheers,
David

[/quote] I agree with almost everything you said.  One thing you're wrong about though... if you sign out or dash board you still get a loss. I lost my connection earlier and I ranked down. Some of us in party chat were talking about this earlier. It's just like Black Ops. No way out of a loss if you deserve it. Like it should be.